Trailer wiring 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Trailer wiring
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Hey, I've just recently fitted a towbar to my EF, now I need to wire up a trailer plug, so I'm just wondering what the best way to do this is? Should I buy some trailer flex and a plug from autobarn supercheap etc? or is there a special factory loom that just plugs in? Should I just get my bits from the wreckers? I dont mind using 2nd hand stuff. and lastly, should I use a flat or round trailer plug? I'm not too sure....I dont have a trailer yet so I'll be looking early in the new year for a trailer, and other than that I just hire trailers. What's everyone's opinion?

Cheers, Gab

Post subject: Re: Trailer wiring
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:01 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Flat 7 pin female plug for the car looks better than the round bastard, when you buy it they generally come with a pin out, which tells you which colour wire goes where and what it does.

Get some 5 core trailer wire and run the wire up to one of your tail lights from where you mounted the trailer plug, you need:

Stop
Tail
Indicator

and run a wire from the other indicator on the other side, because you can't get left/right indicator from the one side obviously.

Solder them into the loom at the back of the tail light.

White will be earth, so just earth it out to the body somewhere.

Strip the ends on the trailer plug end of the wires, and tin them with solder and put them into their respective holes and screw them up, if you don't solder them they can come loose, short out or just fall out.

That is your trailer plug wiring done :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]