Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: low mount ebay turbo kit
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Will,

Thanks for posting that up, some good points there, like allowing people to put their finishing touches to it to suit their application. I never even considered heat soak from the turbo to the auto to be an issue, has it been one for you? Was it just the extra power the engine is putting out causing the auto to heat up? I run manual Eseries car's, tend to forget most ppl run auto's. :oops:

Have you tested / considered an intake pipe plumbing back to the stock airbox position? Is there room to run one past the inlet manifold & engine mount?

A heat shield would be a great idea for the starter motor. The turbo torana guys solution to heat issues was a shield for the starter & a bonnet vent to allow excess heat to escape. I killed a couple of starter motors without running a heat shield. lol.

In regards to the turbo's being illegal in SA, can't you get them engineered like over here in Vic?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:24 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: turbo falcon

SA, Australia

FordAUute, The air filter isnt affected by rain, i have never actually had to clean it yet. Driving on dirt roads etc you would probably have to clean it more frequently.

Torana Guy, its not heatsoak from the turbo itself its the added power that heats up the oil especially when stalling up against the convertor or 1-2min burnouts. We havnt had any issues with heat tranfering from the turbine to the trans, i do however run a heatshield to protect the inhibitor switch and wiring. The acl heatshielding stuff is brilliant.

I have not thought of running an intake pipe up past inlet manifold to stock airbox, my airbox currently has the intercooler piping running through it to keep the engine bay stock looking. The turbo inlet is 4" i would say you would have a hard time fitting it in without reducing the size to 2.5" or 3" as the engine mount would be in the way. Reducing piping size wouldnt be a good idea, you really want the inlet to be as free flowing as possible. It may be possible to run the filter under the sump area if removing one of the lower brackets that bolt to the block. This way it would be exposed directly to the outside air. The problem with that would be a greater chance of sucking in water and dust etc.

We have prity tight laws, i think the only way you would get one engineered here would be to fit a factory barra turbo motor with its stock ecu.

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Interesting points there, yes that ACL heat shield stuff is good stuff. On the V8 auto car's there is a factory metal heat shield, not very big, on the auto's...

There were AIT turbo Eseries back in the day, which should make it easier to engineer. Have you spoken with one in regards to what they would require? Might help sell the kits.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:22 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

I havn't spoken to an engineer about these particular kits, i remember a few years ago when i was trying to legally engineer a datsun 1200 with a ca18det the costs involved were massive. Iwould be very doubtful anyone in sa would try and go through engineering soley due to the costs if it is even possible, eseries are getting worth less and less these days. In other states it may be a lot easier, im really not too sure of all the various laws and regulations.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

In QLD it's easy to get a mod plate. Mine cost me 300 bucks and it has been turbo for nearly a year and a half now and no cop has ever asked me to pull my bonnet. :D been through a heap of RBT's but never really been pulled over at all since its been turbo.

I say just paint the cooler black and utilizing one of these low mounts would be the go. 3" exhaust and a turbo isn't even that loud. Quieter than my old na 2.5" system.

Sleepers ftw

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:55 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Couple of quick vids for some of you sceptics. Changed back to stock compression ratio from decomped which has further improved performance. Already done a pb of 3.16 90-140kph with wheelspin and havnt touched the tune yet, still only running 10degrees on boost, more to come.

2nd gear roll on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wLuRGRfE_I

0-180ish kph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSxFgsT82TQ

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2