Fordmods Logo

turbo or new snort charger kit? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: turbo or new snort charger kit?
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:53 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ED XR6

VIC, Australia

Ive been thinkin over the past few days what road i wanna go down wen i boost my ed xr6, i always thought turbo but i have been reading up on these new snort charger kits with the two screw sprintex charger. Just wondering what opinions you have of my options between say a snort stage 2 kit or the sprintex charger kit, i want to make about 250rwkw or maybe even a bit more, and i currently have wade 1521a cam, j3 chip, vernier cam gear, double valve springs, crow timing chain kit... would the charger work with the cam? Because i have been told a turbo wont.., i was also thinking maybe the charger cos im still on ps and its not as obvious to the johnnys, i no alot of power can be had from a turbo but how much compared to the sprintex? Any help appreciated

Post subject: Re: turbo or new snort charger kit?
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

JakeysED wrote:
i was also thinking maybe the charger cos im still on ps and its not as obvious to the johnnys

*bzzt* Wrong. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

Beside the fact I think you should wait until after you have got off your Ps to do this kind of stuff, I have a Snort M112 kit and am getting a Sprintex kit very soon.

They are a good kit, and well made. I can't comment on the cam you have.

I find the way the blowers deliver their power is very different to a turbo. A turbo will feel faster because it's slowly, slowly, bang and then all the power is there. The blower will make bulk power from idle almost but be very smooth about it. Very streetable, very practical (think overtaking) but doesn't feel as quick.

250rwkw would be acheivable either way. A blower might be down on peak HP compared to a turbo, but the area under the curve is greater on the blower. Think which will get you moving quicker. ;-)

But either way, I still say wait till you can do it legally.

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:17 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Haha yeh your probably right but its so tempting! what setup do you think would do quiker quarter times both having about the same power?

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon EBII/EF Turbo

VIC, Australia

Hell yeh man get on it!

Once you get forced induction youll never go back!

I cant comment on supercharging your car as ive never experienced it.
I had a EB and turbo charged that with a snort stage 2 kit a bout 3 months after i got my p's. Dont worry about what everyone says about waitin till ur off ur p's its illegal to turbo charge or supercharge either way unless you get it enginerred but no one in vic does that. I never got caught and i also live in your area, you just gotta be smart about it and not drive like a d**k in the wrong spots especially at knox city!

Also so what ever you do dont go half a*** about it and get it tuned right or your motor will go sky high

vaaaaaauuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm ppsshhhhhhhhhhhhhtt vaaaaauuuummmmmm

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

*shakes head* Your 19, what's it 1 and a bit years until you're off your P's? Just use the time to save up the cash and do it right when the time comes, rather than pissing about and half a***-ing it now and being illegal. ;)

Bunghole - I can't talk for Victoria, but I know up in Qld it's only going to cost me between $300 and $500 to make the whole thing completely legal. And that's with an aftermarket ECU. f**k small price to pay to make your insurance cover you and your car be legal.

Don't go giving out s**t advice!

Jake,

As for which will be quicker, how long is a piece of string?

Both options will be very quick and competent. My personal preference is towards the blowers, hence why I have one, and why I am going to a bigger one (hello 15psi from idle! :twisted: ). The turbo guys will swear by their turbos as well.

Comes down to what you are looking for I spose. I still reckon that a blower would be more streetable though. Cruising in 5th and the light goes orange, squeeze on the throttle and you have more than enough poke to comfortably cruise by at low revs.

*Disclaimer - I've never driven an E-series turbo car. I have driven an XR6T though.

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:32 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon EBII/EF Turbo

VIC, Australia

Quote:
Bunghole - I can't talk for Victoria, but I know up in Qld it's only going to cost me between $300 and $500 to make the whole thing completely legal. And that's with an aftermarket ECU. f**k small price to pay to make your insurance cover you and your car be legal.

Don't go giving out s**t advice!

Its not s**t advice, Talk to every person with a boosted e series in Victoria... its the only way people can really go about it down here unless you've got thousands upon thousands to spend on EPA and engineering certs.

Each state has its own laws and Victoria's is the strictest

vaaaaaauuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm ppsshhhhhhhhhhhhhtt vaaaaauuuummmmmm

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

bunghole wrote:
Dont worry about what everyone says about waitin till ur off ur p's its illegal to turbo charge or supercharge either way unless you get it enginerred but no one in vic does that.

That's s**t advice.

"Yeah man, just go out and steal a TV from someone down the street. It's okay, you were going to pilfer your mates aerial for it anyway."

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Whats with these young people recently?
Just obey the law and everything will be fine. Thats what its there for.

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

in bungholes deffence, victoria is completely different to QLD with legalities.

for your average e-series to go through and become legal its about a $3000 process.

$700 for engineers cert
$1500-$2000 for emmisions testing (which pretty much every engineer will want)
what ever ontop of that to get your car tuned to pass emmisions, along with additional cats etc.

whilst i don't agree that he should just do it regardless of being on P's... P platers get pulled over more then non-P platers so its a decent risk.

pretty sure the fine isn't that small either.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

If he cant insure it he probably shouldnt be driving it.

That being said I had both a 351 powered XF and a turbo EB on my P's never had an issue.

I would still get a turbo kit over a blower. That eaton kit I had was easy to fit but there was so many bolts and the thing was never coming apart again after all that goo I had to put in it to seal it all up.

My turbo setup now does not have anymore lag than the blower did. Its not really max boost from idle. You put your foot down and it still takes a little bit of time for the boost to build. Response feels the same and Ive got another 50 kw to play with.

No idea if the sprintex's would be more or less responsive than an eaton.

Dont forget high boost at low rpm's bends rods.

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:07 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ford EB GLI

VIC, Australia

I say go turbo and i also say dont listen to people telling you to wait till your off your P's. Do what you want,Its your life and your car.
Going by there theory its illegal for you to even have that cam,J3,exhaust ect ect on your car right now. Just dont drive like a d**k on the street and you SHOULD be ok :wink:

EBT-747 -

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

haha thanks for the inputs, i understand what everyones saying but your only young and stupid once i gess... i wont be doing it for a bit anyway as i dont have the funds just yet, but when i do i will be going turbo and i will probly be still on my ps but towards the end of them, i dont really drive it that much only weekends and after work, when i do it, i will do it properly.. probably with a snort stage 2 kit, any thoughts on this kit? what sort of power can be had with this kit on my motor safely with the j3? i will have to change the cam so ill probly get a good turbo grind.. for now im just getting bigger injecters, adjustable fuel reg, bigger throttle body and im recoing my lsd and getting the 3.7 gears i just bought installed, then retune, hopefully 170 northwards at the treads! :lol: will keep yas posted

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

and bunghole knox cops are bad ey, i go to tradeschool at swinburn there, my mate got pulled over in his el and they popped the bonnet and checked over the whole car ended up giving him a canary luckily porformance wise it was stock

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged BA XL ute

QLD, Australia

JakeysED wrote:
Ive been thinkin over the past few days what road i wanna go down wen i boost my ed xr6, i always thought turbo but i have been reading up on these new snort charger kits with the two screw sprintex charger. Just wondering what opinions you have of my options between say a snort stage 2 kit or the sprintex charger kit, i want to make about 250rwkw or maybe even a bit more, and i currently have wade 1521a cam, j3 chip, vernier cam gear, double valve springs, crow timing chain kit... would the charger work with the cam? Because i have been told a turbo wont.., i was also thinking maybe the charger cos im still on ps and its not as obvious to the johnnys, i no alot of power can be had from a turbo but how much compared to the sprintex? Any help appreciated

Spend the rest of your time on the "P's" studying which way you want to go.
Then go like hell.

BA XL ute.
P'maker headers',Hi flow cat,3" sports sytem,
Raptor V-clutched lightweight not intercooled,no tranny cooler,no worries.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

[quote="badcooky"][quote="JakeysED"]i currently have wade 1521a cam [quote]
The Wade 1521a was originally a cam designed for a turbo and will perform fine with a turbo setup. However, If I was going to do everything properly I would go to someone like CVE, JMM etc and plan it out with them in order to get a setup which fits together... Head ported and polished and Cam to suit the turbo setup you want and that complements the individual flow of your head. That way you acheive max RWKW and you'll have peice of mind nothing will f**k your engine up!
Then again it all costs $$$$ and thats something you have to weigh up....

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]