HELP Welding Rims 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: HELP Welding Rims
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: "08 XR6T Ute

QLD, Australia

I have a set of 20" rims I picked up for more then I care to admit to due to their current condition... But I want to either get them on the car or repair to then sell on. I work for a company with all the gear to repair them in house, but I'm not sure what sort of filler to use for welding up a crack/one small patch of bad gutter rash.

Any help would be appreciated...
Cheers

"08 XR6T Ute

Post subject: Re: HELP Welding Rims
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

Being a boilermaker I would suggest that if you don't know I wouldn't bother trying. I stay right away from rims because some are made in taiwan, some are made here some are made there and they all contain something different. Having a wheel disintegrate at high speed doesn't interest me at all. Particularly since I carry the liability of providing a service from my business.

Although if your keen to give it a go and will anyway I need to know more about the rim, is it cast, spun or extruded?

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I was hoping for a simple answer, but I realised it wasn't going to be that way.

They are a set of 20's too, so the rim will get a fair workout. Hmm they are worth practically nothing with the crack in them... I wonder how much it would cost to get them done professionally :/ probably a LOT!

Umm... I believe they are cast, just trying to find a casting stamp on the inside of the spoke now...
Yeah they are cast... Is that good or bad?

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

That's the crack on the front lip of these...
(Not my car, I don't want to put them on till I repair them)

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

yeah that's ok mate I know how it is, my set of azzuro's are still rooted & they are ROH rims. Professional repairs usually cost more than new rims, I've had them quoted. it depends how much you like them.

Being cast I would be inclined to use a high silicone, high magnesium filler. Hope this helps. I would also probably preheat a little just to sweat the moisture out. Also I assume they are being TIG welded as it's the only way to repair a rim successfully AFAIK. Then if it's anywhere near the bead area it has to be thrown up and turned. If it's inside the bead area and it leaks then so will the tyre.

As with all aluminium welds the crack needs to be ground right out until you can't see it anymore which might make the job too hard to consider. If you're after a cosmetic fix then I would suggest against reselling. Simply because if I bought a rim that had been dodgilly repaired and it ended up costing me alot, I would be looking for you. Something to consider.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I'm not overly fussed about the rim to be honest, but I bought them with the idea of repairing them. So if I can't repair them, it will just be a waste of $500 is all... Maybe I could find a single rim for sale, or a pair of 19's to stagger them or something.

High silicon and high magnesium... Sounds about the same as what my boss suggested, and yeah it will be sweated and tig'ed. I was going to drill out the end of the crack to prevent it from spreading further. Then sort of weld prep it inside and out with a small radius die grinding tip.
Once it is welded, I have a little panel beating of minor dents and then up on the lathe for a touch up of the bead.

I wouldn't resell them after I've welded them... Well at least not until I'd proven my weld on my own car, or by inspection...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

In that case mate it sounds like you are pretty ready to attack... Nothing to loose really and staggered rims still look good when done right. When you haven't got the gear then it starts to add up the coin.

Give it a go, drilling the crack is a personal preference, I don't usually do it but know many people who do. I'd prefer to just fix it completely which makes me pedantic & over-priced to most people lol.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I'll do it all at work, so got pretty much everything but a means to take the tyre off haha
Oh the only other thing I didn't mention is, depending on how the lip comes up, I might be powder coating them black.

Hmm have to have a look around for the same design, see what I can get.

Yeah I'd love to get them professionally done, but just don't have the coin. So I'll do the best I can with the tools I have at work... :)

"08 XR6T Ute

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]