Fordmods Logo

Installing cruise control on non abs vehicle 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: re cruise control
Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ba xls ute

NSW, Australia

i just installed cruise in my el non abs useing an el fairmont harnes i could only use part of that doco on installation i striped down the harnes i didnot short the clutch switch i could not find it and mine works great

Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AUFalcon Series 1

NSW, Australia

The docs above say
Quote:
Feed the seven terminated wires on the cruise control loom through the fire wall

I count 8 wires coming from the cruise unit.

AU1 Falcon 18" wheels, Extractors, 2 1/2 inch system, Ultra Lows Front and Super lows in the Rear, Sun Roof (Pop up), Hawk body kit. Manual gear box.

Posted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ba xls ute

NSW, Australia

i dont think its that many the diagrame says you connect one wier to the small plug i didnt the earth goes to the wiper motor harness in the engine bay i cut the harnes down and i conected it with out shorting that plug i might go over my car and write down how i wired it i used a fairmont harness with abs

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AUFalcon Series 1

NSW, Australia

Well I did it. :lol:

I bought the cruise control from ebay with the additional wiring harness to wire up my non abs EF falcon.

I opened the box & nearly fainted. The wiring harness is huge. I would have to srtip the whole dash to fit this sucker. Not wanting to do that I proceeded to strip the wiring from the loom that was related to the cruise control. Taking notes so as to remember what goes where.

Installed it into my car, piggy backing the existing wiring and hey presto. Worked first time, perfectly. Now nothing ever works first timefor me so we'll see what happens but its been 2 days and its still working.

Thanks for all your help

Regs
Tony

AU1 Falcon 18" wheels, Extractors, 2 1/2 inch system, Ultra Lows Front and Super lows in the Rear, Sun Roof (Pop up), Hawk body kit. Manual gear box.

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

i just pulled the cruise control out of my wreck i can check the wiring colours to, i have the unit for sale if anyone is interested

Post subject: ed CRUISE
Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Smally 351

Read your notes (Feb 2006) re fitting cruise to an EL. You haven't got the same stuff available for an ED have you? I'm trying to retro fit cruise into an ED GLI Classic and can't find the wiring harness for the speed control unit. Everything else bolts and wires up. Seems like I might need a bridging harness as you describe for the EL.

any thoughts and help really appreciated.

regards
johnd

jd

Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 97 EL Fairmont

Power: 247 rwkw

SA, Australia

Just got cruise control setup in my non abs ef.

Ended up stripping the cruise connector and the brake pressure switch connector out of a fairmont loom.

The easiest way to fit cruise to a non ABS EF/EL is to get hold of the connectors from a wreck for the cruise actuator and the brake presure switch and splice them directly into the dash loom - the white connector located under the dash.

It should also be noted that non abs gli's DO NOT have a clutch switch connector, so the wire for that is joined onto one of the other wires.

Will do a proper write up of what I have done and take some pics of it. It really is fairly easy to install cruise, and is a VERY worthwhile mod.

Simon

1998 EL XR8 - Opt 20, Explorer Manifold, Pacemaker 4000's, Sunroof, BBQ Fuel

1975 XB Falcon 500 - 351 2V, Toploader, Twin 2.5", Genie headers, Holley 750

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 04 ba wagon

NSW, Australia

Simon L wrote:
Just got cruise control setup in my non abs ef.

Ended up stripping the cruise connector and the brake pressure switch connector out of a fairmont loom.

The easiest way to fit cruise to a non ABS EF/EL is to get hold of the connectors from a wreck for the cruise actuator and the brake presure switch and splice them directly into the dash loom - the white connector located under the dash.

It should also be noted that non abs gli's DO NOT have a clutch switch connector, so the wire for that is joined onto one of the other wires.

Will do a proper write up of what I have done and take some pics of it. It really is fairly easy to install cruise, and is a VERY worthwhile mod.

Simon

Ill be doing this in the next few weeks but in the diagrams I can see it. Does any one who's done it have pictures and details on what to do and which wires go were??
I am wrecking a gia so was thinking of using the plug and loom out of it but need to know if and were to cut and join them to what wires on the fuse loom??

..wagonstyle..
04 ba wagon, manual conversion, pacemaker extractors, custom exhaust, m86lsd, full electric window conversion, dual zone icc, gt front end with body kit getting made

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2