cost vs outcome is it worth doin a dohc turbo conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: cost vs outcome is it worth doin a dohc turbo conversion
Posted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:30 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford xg ute

NSW, Australia

gday,

ive been trawling the forums for a while looking at peoples falcons and how there powering them up.

if you were going to turbo power up a e/x model and wanted to keep things like a/c and p/s and heater etc is it really worth going to the hassle of doing a dohc conversion just to have a turbo?

i figure your gona have a hard time engineering it either way so realistically it would just be fitted and driven until its defected off the road.

so id like to know people opinions if you were going to do a turbo power up would you rather use use an e-series/au engine or a dohc. they both seem pretty strong in standard form and able to withstand a mild amount of boost. personally id just stay with the e-series that way when you get defected it would be easier to return to standard and keep on trucken

and the time and effort and cash it seems to cost to go dohc doesnt really seem worth it for a similar result.

anyways id like to know what others think

take it easy :D

Post subject: Re: cost vs outcome is it worth doin a dohc turbo conversion
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:53 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ford falcon

NSW, Australia

hi mate if u are planning on putting a barra twin cam in any thing pre ba falcon ect from what i have experienced if u install any engine into a car that from factory has different emission levels 1 u will have to have a emissions test ,only one in sydney is in botany and u have to book in but its a free test, 2 the brakes have to be up graded to siut the power increase ie sydney race brakes or hoppers ,,3 and last the engeneering cert . includes body mods ,sound test,brake test, emisions test ect just had my ef done not long ago ,,yeah so u might find it cheaper and more user friendly to boost the cars engine that it has from factory if thats what u want..do ur reserch ask questions find out whats involved and how much $ it will cost ..and go from there . :D good luck

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:55 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

if your chasing the most power wise, go with the dohc..
eitherway if you turbo the sohc or the dohc it would normally need engineering..

and most engineers now want emisson tests and brake upgrades, not to mention the car has to be ride height and noise leagal aswell..

my ed was engineered and was not overly difficult to do but still alot had to be changed to make it legal enough to make the engineer happy...

i turbo'd my au and within 2 weeks of instalation the car was defected, and i was not doing anything illegal or stupid to get defected, just unlucky. so there is always a risk of defect..

so if you just want a fun powerful car, turbo the sohc, if done right they still make enough power to get into the 12-13 second 1/4 mile and put most factory perfomance cars to shame..
you want that bit extra with high rwkw and braging rights go with the dohc, a bit more work involved but as i said much more room for more power...

realisticly, keep atleast 10g aside... its not as simple as throwing a turbo on, there is exhaust system, any pipwerk thats needs fabricating, tuning, then you will have to look at how well your gearbox/ drive train is going to cope with the exta power and any abuse your going to give it, it all adds up....

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
if your chasing the most power wise, go with the dohc..
eitherway if you turbo the sohc or the dohc it would normally need engineering..

and most engineers now want emisson tests and brake upgrades, not to mention the car has to be ride height and noise leagal aswell..

my ed was engineered and was not overly difficult to do but still alot had to be changed to make it legal enough to make the engineer happy...

i turbo'd my au and within 2 weeks of instalation the car was defected, and i was not doing anything illegal or stupid to get defected, just unlucky. so there is always a risk of defect..

so if you just want a fun powerful car, turbo the sohc, if done right they still make enough power to get into the 12-13 second 1/4 mile and put most factory perfomance cars to shame..
you want that bit extra with high rwkw and braging rights go with the dohc, a bit more work involved but as i said much more room for more power...

realisticly, keep atleast 10g aside... its not as simple as throwing a turbo on, there is exhaust system, any pipwerk thats needs fabricating, tuning, then you will have to look at how well your gearbox/ drive train is going to cope with the exta power and any abuse your going to give it, it all adds up....

+1 That's some very good advice from Troy.

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

Easyest way to avoid the defect debarcle...
Even tho not legal and some pc people will have abiich about it.

Get your E series, big dohc turbo conversion and make it how you like.
Then buy yourself another E series. Same colour year and shape and must be in good nic to pass inspections etc...
Let the rego lapse on the modified one but keep the other one rego.
Now just use the clean standard ones plates on the modded one.

When pulled, plates back on the clean one for inspection. laughing.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:34 pm 

NSW, Australia

that dont work in nsw, when you get a defect cleared the paperwork has the vin of the car on inspection

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

Do the cops check the vin of the car they defect?

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:06 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Mitsubishi TE Magna

VIC, Australia

Benny D wrote:
Do the cops check the vin of the car they defect?

they do here in vic..

just to stop tag swap antics, and to make sure its the same car

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:36 pm 

NSW, Australia

the cops dont generally check your vin unless something dont match like coluor or something, but when you take the car to clear the defect, in my case its what we call a blue slip, and on the form the check involves the vin number, plate number, engine number and the items that were rectified, then the rta checks it against there recods to confirm the car that has been inspected is the car thats on there records...

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:21 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ford falcon

NSW, Australia

switching number plates and getting caught isnt bad luck its just dumb.the fines and s**t u go through aint worth it , look around and see whats aval for your budget u might pick a car up thats already built with the engeneers cert .mine cost me 8 grand to build seen el falcons with more done to them for less money.i should have waited and bought one allready built save a lot of dramas

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:49 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
the cops dont generally check your vin unless something dont match like coluor or something, but when you take the car to clear the defect, in my case its what we call a blue slip, and on the form the check involves the vin number, plate number, engine number and the items that were rectified, then the rta checks it against there recods to confirm the car that has been inspected is the car thats on there records...

Pretty much same process in Victoria. They aren't dumb about it.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Benny D wrote:
Easyest way to avoid the defect debarcle...
Even tho not legal and some pc people will have abiich about it.

Get your E series, big dohc turbo conversion and make it how you like.
Then buy yourself another E series. Same colour year and shape and must be in good nic to pass inspections etc...
Let the rego lapse on the modified one but keep the other one rego.
Now just use the clean standard ones plates on the modded one.

When pulled, plates back on the clean one for inspection. laughing.

And also i believe if you get into a crash its a bigger charge

e.g like me my crash i was 50/50 cause of a death

I had the plates on hold for something like that but decided to do the legit thing

Thank f**k i didnt do that trick as they would have probably upped the charge more

Car was defected for gas out of date when it was in date

dealer "restammped" it on the cheap with there LPG people , but my crash was huge and i tried to get away from the car as it smelt like gas fumes or petrol don't remember got knocked out cold

But turning back i would plate swap if i had a done up boosted car just to get out of defects if i had anything modded

P.s i dont mod cars really so im safe i guess

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]