Series power consumption 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Series power consumption
Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Just a quick one guys and gals and Yep still trying to work out this 24v setup in my head...
Ive ran 2X 110w 12v globes in my spot lights and wired them up in series to one side of the factory 24v setup. Does this still mean the 24v system see's 1X24v 110w globe or have I doubled the power resulting in the 24v setup see 1X 24v 220w globe?
Also, the factory fuse is 15A, will this still be enough?
I have zero spec's on the spot lights as they were on the d21 when I got it and I flogged them before the d21 was sold. All I know is they are Hella and I dont think the lenses are glass so I dont really want to run 24v globes.

Post subject: Re: Series power consumption
Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:39 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

If i calculated correctly they are drawing nearly 20A. And yes in series means technically half the voltage in each globe. But.... If one globe blows the other wont power up either. Hence your 15A Fuse is too low. Also need to make sure your wiring can handle the extra current or you will end up causing a fire or damage to your car. Your best using the proper voltage globes and connecting them properly in my opinion that are the correct wattage for your lenses. Its the heat from the higher wattage globes that will melt the lenses not the voltage they are running on.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

93EB wrote:
If i calculated correctly they are drawing nearly 20A. And yes in series means technically half the voltage in each globe. But.... If one globe blows the other wont power up either. Hence your 15A Fuse is too low. Also need to make sure your wiring can handle the extra current or you will end up causing a fire or damage to your car. Your best using the proper voltage globes and connecting them properly in my opinion that are the correct wattage for your lenses. Its the heat from the higher wattage globes that will melt the lenses not the voltage they are running on.

Cheers mate. 20A, hell I was thinking I could run another set of 12v in series and have 4 X 12v spot lights running from the factory wires... That would end up 40A from a factory 15A setup. Looks like you saved me some money.
Ill rewire them and grab some 24v globes I reckon then. Worst case they melt the lenses and Id rather that than the other possible scenario

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:58 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The globes are drawing a little over 9 amps each, so 15A fuse would be okay - just test that though, and increase to 20A if the other blows due to switch on, etc.
Bulbs in series not a good idea - if fuse or a globe blows, no light from either of them.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

seeing they are only spot lights running off the high beam I wouldnt be overly worried if one blew and they both went out as I would still have standard lights/ high beams running.
Ok, if I ran 2X 100w 24v globes would they use less amperage than the 110w 12v in series?

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Brush up on your theory - as I've said to you in the past, you need to get it right.
You can answer your own question - asking everyone whilly nilly leads in confusion as you get varying answers, as you have already.
Remember all items in parallel drop the same voltage as the supply. All items in series draw the same current value. Power = voltage x current, voltage = current x resistance.
Maths and substitution will give you your answers.

The answer to your question above may surprise you.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

alright, so if I run 2 X 24v 110w globes to the correct wires Ill use about 4.6a and if I run 2x 12v 110w in series Ill use 9.16a.
I got that from
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 113AAEIymj
Its about running 24v on 12v systems but had the formula's I needed. I thought by running in series your doubling the amp's but I was not sure. Once again, speakers I know and I have not delved into electricity before

Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So, is it the same equation for parallel as for speakers
A+B/(A x b)?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]