Fordmods Logo

Oil pressure off the chart after Turbo conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Oil pressure off the chart after Turbo conversion
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Hi guys,
I have recently done a turbo conversion on my XG ute and just got it back from the exhaust place today.

I took it for a quick spin around the block and saw my oil pressure gauge go off the chart under light throttle. At idle it sits where it should normally.

I am really worried about this as too high oil pressure is really bad news = everything leaks from all seals.

I am booked into the dyno tuners next Wednesday and need to get try to get to the bottom of it before then. I have used the search function but I couldn't find anyone who had a similar problem after doing a turbo conversion.

What could I have done wrong? Have I somehow messed up when connecting the turbo feed line and the T piece onto the block? I didn't know you could do this wrong?

If anyone has any idea's on where to go from here please let me know because I am stumped and very worried.

I will appreciate any help you guys can give. Hopefully its just something simple.

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Post subject: Re: Oil pressure off the chart after Turbo conversion
Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Could be as simple as a buggered sender.......

Make sure you get a proper gauge on the engine before you assume the pressure is too high!!

Good luck....

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

The only thing that makes me think its not the sensor is that it reads normal at idle.

The only other thing I was thinking is that I used thread tape on the threads to seal from oil. If the sender earths through the block then it might not be doing this now??????

So is it common that when the gauge plays up it reads normal and then when you accelerate it goes way off the chart? Just seems weird it would do that.

I was kinda thinking maybe the oil feed line is too small, could this affect pressure?

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

In my old EF XR6, that's exactly what happened when the sender died.

Before you go stuffing around too much, I'd definitely check that out!!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Ahhhh so I don't have to pull my engine out, rip my sump off and check my oil pump then lol

Well I feel better already.

I was just on ebay and they have the sender units but mines one of those big a** half a cup connected to a 5cm piece which screws into the block.... These seem really tiny. Are they the same thing, just an updated version???

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GENUINE-FORD-FALCON-6cyl-OIL-PRESSURE-SWITCH-XE-XF-EA-EB-ED-EF-EL-AU-/220918278754?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336fc16a62&_uhb=1#ht_2071wt_1161

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

No mate,

That's the switch which tells you if you have low/no oil pressure and lights up the warning on the low series dash.

You'll need the sender unit, which you need for a mid/high series dash.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Oops that could have been bad.

Obviously this is the one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-EF-EL-O ... 915wt_1393

Thanks for all your help mate to get that sorted out. I half expected the gauge just to fail completely if it was going too, not half work. It's good to know you had the same prob and this sorted it out

I'll get one tomorrow morning and chuck it on and report back if its fixed.

Man I love the fordmods community!!!!

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Be careful and make sure you get the correct one.

The EF/EL ones are different to the EB/ED ones and I'm not sure which of the two you'd need in your XG. (I'd guess the EB/ED one, but don't quote me).

Good luck!!

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, NCII V8

SA, Australia

i took mine into sprint auto parts the other day they gave me a new one of the shelf for $9 simple easy cheap fix

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Just found out that the pressure sender for the XG ute is obsolete and noone can get them.

Anyone know if the EF - AU one is the same? Or will there be a voltage difference on the dash?

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

EF/EL are different to EB/ED/X?. If you use an EF/EL sensor it will read high pressure.

Attachment:
EF EB Oil Sender.jpg
EF EB Oil Sender.jpg [ 86.91 KiB | Viewed 366 times ]

Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:01 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Hey SWC thanks for the picture.

My local parts store were unable to get me one and sent me off to ford to get a genuine part. I went off to them and found it is apparently is discontinued. I managed to get another aftermarket VDO sender unit model 360.004 which has the 180ohm resistance in it which will make the gauge read correctly. On the EF EL ones there is no resistance so the gauge will read high like you said. Sort of gets confusing these days as my car has more EL and AU parts on it than XG, I figured it would go through the ecu somehow so it would be the same. Apparently not.

The aftermarket VDO one was fairly costly for what it is, like $60 bucks or so. I now wish I had the low series dash with just the light on it which I could get for 9 bucks :P

FWIW my new oil sender units looks like a hybrid of the 2 in the picture. Looks more like the small one, but is slightly larger in size with the half dome part.

Anyways fingers cross it should fix the problem for me. A timely reminder that the most simplest answer is usually the correct one!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]