Fordmods Logo

Worth getting a aftermarket head unit? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Worth getting a aftermarket head unit?
Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Falcon BF XT Wagon

VIC, Australia

I've been offered to swap something of mine for a GPS/DVD/CD/IPod head unit.
Is it really worth getting it? What are the advantages over the norm system. ( Which I was going to put in a 5ch amp, Sub and replace the speakers with new ones. )

Also, I've noticed that the speakers in the back of the wagon are 4" speakers. But it looks like it could fit a 5x7 or 6x9 in there with no modification. Unsure?

Project #1: BF XT Wagon. " ICWAGGN"
Project #2: Can't afford it!!!

Post subject: Re: Worth getting a aftermarket head unit?
Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

in my opinion the ba/bf stock head unit is crap. poor sound quality and no mp3 capability. it also has no pre-outs, making adding an amp and such a pita. in my ba, i had a mp3 cd player mounted in the tissue box space and disconnected the appropriate wires from the icc. the head unit i used had 3 pre outs, so i ran a 4 channel amp inside the cabin, and used the other two pre outs for a mono block amp in the boot to drive twin subs. easy as pie to do, only disadvantage was that i lost steering wheel stereo controls. however the new head unit had lots of stuff in it for changing the bass, treble, pitch, and such, aswell as subwoofer controls.

dont know about wagon speakers but the front and rear speakers in a ba/bf sedan are all 5x7. if your adding a decent head unit, i would also upgrade the speakers at the same time to take advantage of the better quality noise.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:05 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Falcon BF XT Wagon

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the answer Phatba.

I have to agree that it is heaps of good points that you've made there. My only thing is that it's a heap of wiring to do and then I need to buy 2 amps. But I guess for the advantage there is only 2 disadvantages. Which is that I lose the steering controls. Which don't really matter anyway. And that there is then all the s**t of the old radio still there.

Also putting it in the tissue box holder is a problem. As I'm wiring up a UHF radio soon. Is her any other place that's good to put it?

I guess that if the stock head unit can be wired up to run 4 decent speakers, 2 amps and a 12 or 14 inch sub. Then i might leave it stock. And just get an aux cord put in.

Thanks again

Project #1: BF XT Wagon. " ICWAGGN"
Project #2: Can't afford it!!!

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

you can run line level convertors and keep it stock i guess. or get amps with speaker level inputs. you will however be making a low quality sound into a loud low quality sound, so while it may be louder, dont expect much more clarity. the uhf could be mounted in the centre console in the storage box to be hidden, or it could be mounted to the passenger side of the transmission tunnel. it is also possible to get some aftermarket gizmos that keep the steering wheel controls going. from memory when you press the button, it goes to a small unit mounted near the centre roof light, which acts like a remote control to your head unit to do the desired change. havent used one before so dont know details, but there is stuff out there.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: au sr

VIC, Australia

the stock head unit doesn't have very many rms to each channel, probably around 10-15.
most headunits these days are 15-20w rms each channel.
i am running a competition pioneer headunit (25rms x5channel) in my dads bf just under the stock one with wiring kit to suit the facia and icc so you can still use the icc just has no speaker output.
also has steering wheel controls, as some have the and can get the adapters.
you can also buy a ba/bf stereo facia from jb hi fi or autobarn maybe repco which includes a small compartment in where you can store s**t.

RED AU SERIES 2 SR
XR8 INTERIOR, LED LIGHTS, XR8 CLUSTER
LOWERED, CUSTOM EXHAUST, GENIE COMP HEADERS, SRE CAM, BPR TUNED, MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER AND CAT, FRESH RESPRAY, LSD, XR6 TRANS, DRIVE SHAFT, port and polished POWER 183 RWKW

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]