Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: WRX bonnet scoop on an EL wagon
Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: "08 XR6T Ute

QLD, Australia

How does yours go in the rain????
Can't remember who pointed that out to me, but thanks...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

I think even with a 6 cylinder a custom retro-fitted gt style shaker would look better & do the same job.... Or even the later model 'shaker' with bonnet to suit. But as mentioned each to their own.

And at least we never had to witness a WRX scoop on a ford. Everyones happy.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

NSW, Australia

Old style shaker can and have been done before on ef/el 4.0L's. Even though you need to cut the some of the support on the bonnet they can still be made legal, well in QLD anyway. My original setup with the scoop above was a shaker but over 3 square feet of sheet metal was removed just so the hole was big enough for the scoop. It worked the same as what I currently have and rain was never and issue and hasnt to date affected it once and basic induction setup has been on the car for almost 12 months

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

Quote:
It worked the same as what I currently have and rain was never and issue and hasnt to date affected it once and basic induction setup has been on the car for almost 12 months

i probably wont ever do this to my current car (P plater, ill get pulled over in 2 seconds) but i do like the CAI that will essentially ram in air at speed, but ive always be worried about rain, did you shaker pipe to the airbox or directly to the TB. i know some water is alright for the engine, but driving in a heavy downpour i could easily imagine large amounts of water building up in the airbox.

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

winman wrote:
Quote:
It worked the same as what I currently have and rain was never and issue and hasnt to date affected it once and basic induction setup has been on the car for almost 12 months

i probably wont ever do this to my current car (P plater, ill get pulled over in 2 seconds) but i do like the CAI that will essentially ram in air at speed, but ive always be worried about rain, did you shaker pipe to the airbox or directly to the TB. i know some water is alright for the engine, but driving in a heavy downpour i could easily imagine large amounts of water building up in the airbox.

Or if it's scoop --> filter --> TB... where does the water go? How do you avoid water intake for a CAI of this style direct to the TB.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Basically what houses the filter in the previous pictures are the remains of the shaker setup. The box with the filter is fitted directly to the throttle body but inside the box the pipe is slightly raised so that water cant pool and flood into the engine. If people remember the floods at the begining of the year in QLD and Northern NSW, even driving in rain like that didnt cause a problem. To limit any water actually settling inside the box there is a small hole on the lowest point of the box to allow the water to drain, but due to its position and small size hardly any air is sucked back threw the hole when the engine is idling and at speed air is basically being rammed into the throttle body anyways.

As far as the setup goes it seems to work well and at the 3000-3500rpm there is a noticable increase in performance. I am hoping to get a digital thermometer and compare temps at the throttle body with an EL and EF pipe work and this setup

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

Quote:
I am hoping to get a digital thermometer and compare temps at the throttle body with an EL and EF pipe work and this setup

sounds like you've done a pretty good job, it would be interesting to see if you could measure the intake air speed compared to the stock aswell. even hooking in a vacuum gauge line and testing to see how effective the "ramming" is

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

has there been any progress with this? just curious to see a version 2.0, or even the temp results from 1.0

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ba mk2 xr8

NSW, Australia

how is this goin anymore progress

Posted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I havent done alot to the intake. I have rounded the corners, fitted a falcon filter and used some ef rocker cover bolts to hide the mounts.

I have a few other ideas for other models but need to work out the details. I do have some temp sensors with displays coming and I will be starting on a similar setup to suit an ea-ed with bbm and working out another much older idea to suit ea-ed with stock manifolds

I could also be doing another design that doesnt use a scoop for ef/nf/el/nl

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:04 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1997 Ford El Falcon Gli Wagon

SA, Australia

head_ache wrote:
I have found you do get a noticeable gain for the setup especially at speed. My setup seals against the bonnet under the scoop. Below is a picture of the current setup attached to the motor I am about to fit to the car. It is version 1 and could soon be starting another slightly smaller and more rounded version.

Here is a front view of the scoop on my old car

Oh and the current setup is on an el wagon

I love the idea of the potential for increased air intake without the need for forced induction and your hood scoop looks great and suits the car very well. But, in my opinion I would have left the stock EL grill in and definitely left the stock bumper on. Or perhaps installed a bumper of an EL XR series. But that bumper looks a lot like that of a Subaru. Is the bumper custom fabricated? If so, by who? If not, what is it off?

Thanks for sharing the pictures though, mate. It is definitely very unique! :D

Ride: '97 EL Falcon GLi Wagon
Mods: 2.5" Redback catback, 6000k HID, Blue LED Trip Computer, Blue LED dash, LED Audi Style Parker Lights, Footwell Lighting, White interior door handles with fade in and out with parker lights, Fairlane rear courtesy lamp.

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Chafflube wrote:
head_ache wrote:
I have found you do get a noticeable gain for the setup especially at speed. My setup seals against the bonnet under the scoop. Below is a picture of the current setup attached to the motor I am about to fit to the car. It is version 1 and could soon be starting another slightly smaller and more rounded version.

Here is a front view of the scoop on my old car

Oh and the current setup is on an el wagon

I love the idea of the potential for increased air intake without the need for forced induction and your hood scoop looks great and suits the car very well. But, in my opinion I would have left the stock EL grill in and definitely left the stock bumper on. Or perhaps installed a bumper of an EL XR series. But that bumper looks a lot like that of a Subaru. Is the bumper custom fabricated? If so, by who? If not, what is it off?

Thanks for sharing the pictures though, mate. It is definitely very unique! :D

The bumper in the above picture came on the car when I got it. It isnt custom made, its a bar called 'venom' you can get it as a whole kit for many body kit stores and you can get it to suit xr lights.

To change the topic slightly. The box appears to be a close fit on ea-ed with the bbm fitted. I will be able to confirm in a couple of weeks as the engine in pictures is coming out of my el and being converted to ef ignition and bolted into the ed/f wagon I am building for daily duties

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3