Just another white EB 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Just another white EB
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:55 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: Eb II XR6

WA, Australia

Hey guys just thought i'd start a build thread on my old EB since i'm gonna start some mods in the near future. First things is first, the car in question is a 1993 EBII SXR6. White in colour with a manual gearbox. When i bought it i was looking for an e series with manual gearbox when i saw this one. Took it for a test drive and surprise surpirse everything worked except the odo. But with the momo steering wheel, sports seats and tickford head I couldn't pass it up. Overall it's in good nik but just can't help myself and must modify.

Things on the to do list are, electric windows (at least front), electric fans, BBM conversion and if possible a EF/L dash conversion. With this in mind I picked up an EL Futura for $500 complete. So over the last few weeks i've been slowly dismantling the EL ready to swap things over to the EB. The complete interior will go into the EB except front seats and steering wheel (coz I like the ones i've got). While i've got the interior out im gonna paint it all black with some highlights (unsure of highlight colour yet). All the engine bay work will be done with a mechanic mate of mine because he knows these engines fairly well.

This leads me to a few queries with my build.

1: With the dash conversion would it be easier to change over the whole wiring loom behind the dash or try to splice the two together? Because I have the spac dash i'm trying to get a hold of a Fairmont/XR dash cluster so I still have the oil and volt gauges.

2: Because i want to run the BBM and electric fans would it be easier to use the EL computer to control them? I also plan on doing a serp belt conversion too just coz i might as well.

3: Is the cruise control hard to do? The EL has it and I figured while i'm at it it would be nice to have.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EBII SXR6 White, manual, el dash and door trims, ba xr front seats, serpentine belt, electric fans and a turbo
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/just-another-white-eb-t114629.html

Post subject: Re: Just another white EB
Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

nice nice thats a good idea purchasing the donar car of the later model

now hmmm im not that great in those area's

but how many km has the futura done ? i would be a bit iffy about the supatine converseion but everyone reccomends it

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Nice. Same as my car except mine is Black. And I don't have a bullbar lol.

Regarding your questions on the EL dash swap, check out BenJ's wagon. You should get some good ideas and great tips on building a box car.

Cheers,

Evan.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: e series

NSW, Australia

nice buy good keeper

if changing the dash might as well change the wirirng loom up to ecu use el ecu and fit a craig davies fan kit if you dont want to change the engine wirirng then can fit el cruise easier that cutting and redoing wiring on cluster but still a bit of a job im doing ef xr6 wiring dash loom motor/box full conversion into xg ute easier to change straigh swap wiring wise

Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:54 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

In my previous rides i've had some decent stereos. i'm currently switching between driving the EB and my XR8 ute. The ute has two 12 inch subs in the cab and when i get into the EB it feels a bit lacking in the bass. So when some 2nd hand alpine gear came up for sale cheap I bought it. The EB already has a decent head unit and speakers already so i picked up a sub and a couple of amps.

The plans are to put it all in the boot in a custom enclosure. Pretty much I'm gonna box in the sides withe the amps mounted to the sides. I'll put the sub on the drivers side and move the battery to the boot and have it on the passenger side. I'm also putting in a false floor and will carpet it all to make it look nice and neat. I'm gonna add access panels to get to the spare tyre, fuel pump, rear tail lights and the battery. I almost have everything I need just got to get a big power cable for the battery relocation and then i'll make a start on it tomorrow.

Pic of my ute install
Attachment:
IMG_0235.JPG

All this (including MDF)...
Attachment:
IMAG0020_320x240.jpg

Into here..
Attachment:
IMAG0021_320x240.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EBII SXR6 White, manual, el dash and door trims, ba xr front seats, serpentine belt, electric fans and a turbo

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:51 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Got a couple of progress pics of my boot install.

First pic is a test fit to see if the box will fit and have the boot lid shut. Didn't work first go, made many trips from car to shed to get it right.
Attachment:
IMAG0023_320x240.jpg

This one is the finished box all hooked up and working, after a week of being in the car all is good.
Attachment:
IMAG0027_320x240.jpg

Last one is of the other side where i put the second amp and battery.
Attachment:
IMAG0026_320x240.jpg

So over the last couple of weeks I did this install. Under the boot carpet there is a false floor with cutouts for the spare wheel and fuel pump (no pics yet sorry). On the passenger side the battery is mounted so it can sing out and be checked/swapped easily. You may have noticed on the sub side there is a small door aswell, this is si i can get access to the tail lights should the globes need replacing. All that is left to do now is trim the original carpet and put some new stuff on the boxes so it all looks neat.

Cheers for looking.

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:51 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1991 eb1 fairmont

QLD, Australia

looking good, as far as the wiring goes swapping the engine bay wiring as well would be the best move in my opinion.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:21 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

So I finally got around to finishing the boot install off, just had to cover the boxes and trim the boot carpet. It isn't quite as neat as I'd like and I need to tidy it up a little but you get the idea.
Attachment:
IMAG0034_320x240.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0035_320x240.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0036_320x240.jpg

What spured me on to get the boot finished was I like to finish one job before I start another. I was about halfway through painting the EL interior when i thought i really should finish the boot off before I get too involved in making the interior look pretty. So once I got the boot up to an acceptable level I continued on with the painting. Here's where I'm at;
Attachment:
IMAG0031_320x240.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0033_320x240.jpg

I still have a bit to do. The console lid needs to be recovered, and i need to get a gear boot and clip that holds it to the surround. I can get a gear boot from Ebay which is what I will do so i can get a black leather one but what I really need is the retaining clip. Any help with obtaining one of those or finding a way around needing one would be much appriciated.

Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Nice work on the build man, I like your boot setup, I wish I had some time to do a boot setup in my Ghia, too many other projects on the go lol.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Not much has happened in the last few weeks but I have my XR8 back to drive around so the EB has gone into the shed for some lovin.
I've stripped the EL right down and its almost ready to scrap.
Attachment:
IMAG0049.jpg

I've got a bunch of parts I want off of it and this mass of wires that need to be put into the EB.
Attachment:
IMAG0047.jpg

Amongst all the chaos is the body loom, the engine bay loom and the loom behind the dash. Pretty much all the wires that were in the EL. I labled where everything came from so it can be put back in the right place in the EB.
And onto the EB, this morning i got the interior stripped out just need to remove the old wiring ready for the EL stuff.
Attachment:
IMAG0051.jpg

Only the EB ABS module is giving me a headache but i'll work my way through all the wires and work it out. The EL has an airbag module but since the EB doesn't have airbags it wont be going in.
The aim for tomorrow is to get cracking on the engine bay stuff.

Cheers for looking

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

It's been a while since i posted on here, actually working on my car and not sitting on the computer maens things get done. The conversion was pretty straight forward it was just a pain trying to remember where everything went. I had a few moments where i wanted to give up on it all but i pushed through and now its all running.

The Interior looks pretty good but the spears on the doors came out crap. You live and learn i guess.

Attachment:
IMAG0094.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0093.jpg

After a week or so of having it running I got a pair of BA XR6 seats cheap so I decided to put them in. They dont quite bolt straight in but by opening up the bolt holes a little and some persuading they go in ok.

Attachment:
IMAG0095.jpg

Over the next few weeks i need to finish painting all the plastics black (kick pannels, pillar covers etc). Then in the new year i'll source some black carpet and get the hood liningand parcel shelf trimmed black. I also want to get the rear seats and door spears trimmed in the same material as the BA seats. Just got those things to do and the interior will be as i want it and i'll start saving for a turbo conversion.

Oh yeah the othe thing i need to do to make my car not look so out of place is change the side stripes on the doors :oops:

Attachment:
IMAG0096.jpg

I'll put the red stripes back on because personally i like the look of the red better.

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
so hows it goin?

Quicker.

rumriggerwog wrote:
Over the next few weeks i need to finish painting all the plastics black (kick pannels, pillar covers etc). Then in the new year i'll source some black carpet and get the hood liningand parcel shelf trimmed black. I also want to get the rear seats and door spears trimmed in the same material as the BA seats. Just got those things to do and the interior will be as i want it and i'll start saving for a turbo conversion.

Oh yeah the othe thing i need to do to make my car not look so out of place is change the side stripes on the doors :oops:

yeah so... that plan failed.
Black carpet - Nope
Hood lining and parcel shelf - Nope
Rear seats - Nope
Door stripes - Nope
Turbo? Big fat YES

Still looks the same as it did, I was all enthusiastic to get it looking right before I went the turbo rout but a low k's second hand kit came up at the right price. Turbo, manifold, intercooler, dump pipe, it was all there. Plus 42lb injectors, Walbro 255 and a j3 chip to run it all. Too good to pass up.
Only a few pics from the build.

Attachment:
IMAG0030.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0037.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0038.jpg

There are two reasons for having the intercooler upside down, to reduce piping distance and to clear the roobar mounts.

Attachment:
IMAG0207.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0208.jpg

The piping has a lot of joiners but plans are to convert back to the log manifold which will reduce the amount of piping further again. Before the log manifold goes on I'm sanding/grinding it back so it gets a polished look. Shoud look the goods when done.

There's still a lot of work to be done but that's the whole point of a project car (something my missus just doesn't understand). I'm half tempted to leave the exterior looking rough as guts so no-one expects it to go fast.

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:54 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Got a 3 inch exhaust and cat done last week and gosh it's quiet. I'm used to big exhausts on V8s so it was a bit of a surprise just how much the turbo keeps things quiet.
Took it for a spin to see how much more poke it now has and found out the wastegate has a 6psi spring. I've got a boost controller and was just stopping to wind up the boost a tad when i noticed my low coolant light come on... Opened the bonnet and a puff of smoke came out before the engine died. :(
Damage, Blown head gasket.
Not that I wasn't expecting it at some point but i thought it would last longer than one run. So now it's sitting back in the shed waiting for me to replace the gasket.
While I'm doing that I figured I may as well do the timing chain and guides and the tappets (as they've developed a noise).
But all of this requires money and I only get paid monthly so it will have to wait a couple of weeks. Until then I'll just potter around and try to neaten up some of the engine bay wiring.

PS, I managed to get my hands on some black carpet for the interior for $50, near new condition so that will go in this week.

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED Fairmont GHIA 1994

NSW, Australia

rumriggerwog wrote:
Mad2 wrote:
so hows it goin?

Quicker.

rumriggerwog wrote:

yeah so... that plan failed.
Black carpet - Nope
Hood lining and parcel shelf - Nope
Rear seats - Nope
Door stripes - Nope
Turbo? Big fat YES

Still looks the same as it did, I was all enthusiastic to get it looking right before I went the turbo rout but a low k's second hand kit came up at the right price. Turbo, manifold, intercooler, dump pipe, it was all there. Plus 42lb injectors, Walbro 255 and a j3 chip to run it all. Too good to pass up.
Only a few pics from the build.

Attachment:
IMAG0030.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0037.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0038.jpg

There are two reasons for having the intercooler upside down, to reduce piping distance and to clear the roobar mounts.

Attachment:
IMAG0207.jpg

Attachment:
IMAG0208.jpg

The piping has a lot of joiners but plans are to convert back to the log manifold which will reduce the amount of piping further again. Before the log manifold goes on I'm sanding/grinding it back so it gets a polished look. Shoud look the goods when done.

There's still a lot of work to be done but that's the whole point of a project car (something my missus just doesn't understand). I'm half tempted to leave the exterior looking rough as guts so no-one expects it to go fast.

With the intercooler mounted the way you have done in the above picture, did you have to make any cuts/drill holes to the actually body of the car?

Thanks,
Nathan

1994 ED Fairmont Ghia
2006 BFMKII Fairmont Ghia

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next