Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: how to install a monter tachometer
Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR8 363 stroker

Power: 260 rwkw

67RCE wrote:
capare wrote:
Im going to be needing a moster taco or simmular for my EL 363 stroker because the factory taco only reads to 6000 and I will be spinning up past 7500, so my question is should I sell the XR8 and buy a honda? or just mount a monster taco or simmular?

last time I checked most hondas were missing 2 to 4 cylinders :cry: lol.

Matt

There is a difference between having an engine that spins harder than the stock tacho reads and wanting one because your a a*** who can't see the stock one.

Yeah your definitly on the money there!

Is there any way to have a factory taco face made up and changed to 8000rpm and say 260kph and get the taco recalibrated? I would much rather do somthing more tasteful and mount a small shift light in the clutster area

Cheers Matt

Cheers Matt

Would look a hell of alot tid

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Why not a shift light/digital tacho that is only small. I think Autometer do one.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:50 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 99 au ute

WA, Australia

capare wrote:
67RCE wrote:
capare wrote:
Im going to be needing a moster taco or simmular for my EL 363 stroker because the factory taco only reads to 6000 and I will be spinning up past 7500, so my question is should I sell the XR8 and buy a honda? or just mount a monster taco or simmular?

last time I checked most hondas were missing 2 to 4 cylinders :cry: lol.

Matt

There is a difference between having an engine that spins harder than the stock tacho reads and wanting one because your a a*** who can't see the stock one.

Yeah your definitly on the money there!

Is there any way to have a factory taco face made up and changed to 8000rpm and say 260kph and get the taco recalibrated? I would much rather do somthing more tasteful and mount a small shift light in the clutster area

Cheers Matt

Cheers Matt

Would look a hell of alot tid

I think your onto something there mate! Jaycar sell a kit that runs in series with the speed tacho signal wire, maybe it's as simple as printing a new faceplate out, buying/installing the kit and send it to a dyno? And get it re calibrated.

Au series 1 ute. T5 manual, 2.5" redback zorst, Xtreme HD clutch

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:15 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

capare wrote:

Anything's possible really. Different cluster faces aren't anything new, as people put their own patterns on and everything. So sure, in that regard, you'd be able to make the numbers on the dial read anything you want.

One option for changing the signals on both the tacho and speedo might be using those Speed Calibration kits that you get from Jaycar. Haven't tried anything like this myself, but I guess it could work.

With the speedo, say when you're doing 260, you will want the needle to be at the same location as 220 (on the stock speedo). This is a change of -15.38%. So if you set the kit to that, your speedo (without changing the cluster face) would say 220, when you're at 260. Then just change the cluster face to match this.

Rinse and repeat for the tacho.

There's every chance this might not work, but it's an idea.

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:18 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

fullyforded wrote:
I think your onto something there mate! Jaycar sell a kit that runs in series with the speed tacho signal wire, maybe it's as simple as printing a new faceplate out, buying/installing the kit and send it to a dyno? And get it re calibrated.

Went to cook some lunch before I pressed submit and you jumped in with my idea! Bugger haha

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:11 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 99 au ute

WA, Australia

steedy wrote:
fullyforded wrote:

Went to cook some lunch before I pressed submit and you jumped in with my idea! Bugger haha

Haha sorry mate! Bloody must be a good idea if we both came up with it! It's awesome to see another young bloke with good ideas!

Au series 1 ute. T5 manual, 2.5" redback zorst, Xtreme HD clutch

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:16 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

fullyforded wrote:
Haha sorry mate! Bloody must be a good idea if we both came up with it! It's awesome to see another young bloke with good ideas!

They do say great minds think alike.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2