Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fiarmont

NSW, Australia

Hey People
Just wondering if anyone can help me out

My car has two problems
1. It idles very good then bad then good then bad then good as if it has its own mind ive changed all the normal stuff as in plugs,leads checked the timing but still seems to happen
what is causing this to happen I am not a qualified mechanic but I know a fair bit about cars in general
2. This only just started to happen today
When I give it throttle It seems to be unhappy about changing gears as I accelerate but eventually it does change but it is not changing back through gears when slowing down as in I get off the gas and begin to brake its not until I am almost stopped then it slips or something

the car has good power and drives as she always has but the idle is crap (sounds like a sick dragster!)
any suggestions on where to look or any help is greatly appreciated!
cheers guys

Post subject: Re: 5.0 ltr Auto Gearbox problem
Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

Check for vacuum leaks and also check that the exhaust manifold bolts are tight as they have a tendency to come loose over time.
Regarding the transmission I'd suggest getting it serviced...Flush, New filter and oil.

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:46 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

Agree with checking for your vacuum leaks as well as the EGR valve if fitted as these will clog and jam up. Flush it out with penetrol or WD and let it sit for a while then clean in diesel and refit. I also would go to Subaru and buy a tin of upper cylinder cleaner and follow the instructions. This will eliminate coking up of the intake manifold.

I had similar issues and thought the worse...I did the simple things first and disconnected the battery for 60 mins then went through the relearn procedure that was posted up here somewhere. It was for an EF however it follows the same principles that the EB I have and the shifts went from crap to out of sight. No jerky changes or hesitation/flaring of the box.

When you get the box serviced, have the mechanic check the filter media to look for band material...they will have to cut into it as it gets wedged pretty well in there. They will also let you know whether you have issues with the neutral switch and the solenoids.

Remember...simple things first before you think the worse case scenario.

Hooroo

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:
Agree with checking for your vacuum leaks as well as the EGR valve if fitted as these will clog and jam up. Flush it out with penetrol or WD and let it sit for a while then clean in diesel and refit. I also would go to Subaru and buy a tin of upper cylinder cleaner and follow the instructions. This will eliminate coking up of the intake manifold.

I had similar issues and thought the worse...I did the simple things first and disconnected the battery for 60 mins then went through the relearn procedure that was posted up here somewhere. It was for an EF however it follows the same principles that the EB I have and the shifts went from crap to out of sight. No jerky changes or hesitation/flaring of the box.

When you get the box serviced, have the mechanic check the filter media to look for band material...they will have to cut into it as it gets wedged pretty well in there. They will also let you know whether you have issues with the neutral switch and the solenoids.

Remember...simple things first before you think the worse case scenario.

Hooroo

+1

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]