Fordmods Logo

I need exhaust helf single or dual? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: I need exhaust helf single or dual?
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF XR8

QLD, Australia

Hi everyone

I have an ef xr8 and am looking at getting a cat back exhaust. I'm only after a tough note, not chasing power hence why i'm not doing extractors etc. I've been told by one shop do go the single which is about 400 and another shop said go the twin system.

What system sounds good? Does anyone have any video they can upload of either system so i can hear the sound they produce?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: I need exhaust helf single or dual?
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

Probably comes down to what type of mufflers are fitted to either of them.

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

my V8 LTD DF had extractors, twin hi flow cats to a single 2.5" system with 1 muffler. It had a tough idle and got loud when you got on the go pedal

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

For a V8 a twin system is a must IMO.

Two straight through mufflers before the diff, and two hotdogs in the tail section. It's a tight fit over the diff and round the spare tyre, but worth the effort and $$ I think.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

the dude that bought my LTD put a twin 2.25" exhaust on it, and had issues with a drove. When I bought the LTD I thought the exhaust was stock, and on the way to buying it I was like "gunna put a twin exhaust on it etc" Then rocked up and he started it up, and I was like nope, it sounds fine

Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Did the system have a H-pipe or X-pipe in it?
It would drone without one.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

originally no. But different setups were tried and it ended up costing him a bit. Hence why I left it because I knew if I changed it, s**t like that would happen

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: DF LTD

VIC, Australia

I'm that dude. Yes, it has been a bit of a battle and I want to have another crack at it.

I have a dual 2.25" with a crossover (that I didn't really want), a single dual-in dual-out muffler under the floor and 2.25" hot dogs just before the bumper. It sounds alright but it's not quite old-school enough for me - while it's pretty deep, it's too "smooth" and modern. I want some more chug like my Clevo had.

A word of warning - there is depressingly little room under these cars for a proper exhaust. Some people manage to fit nice big systems with Aerochambers but I don't know how.

I'm with MAD - V8s NEED dual systems. Apparently 304s sound good with singles but I don't believe in them on real cars (Holden dig!). Building a system for the LTD has indeed been problematic. I'm not cashed up enough to start again but I'm seriously considering replacing the dual-in dual-out centre muffler with a pair of hot dogs as this has worked quite well for a friend with an EB XR8. He has a dual 2" with two hot dogs per side and no merge and it sounds pretty tasty!

MAD, you're both right and wrong. This particular system does want to drone and I believe it's because of the muffler - if it had two seperate ones not one with two pipes in it I'm damn sure it wouldn't drone. Merges, X-pipes or balance pipes are not necessary in every system and I don't like them - my ZJ was un-merged and it couldn't have been further from droney. To each their own.

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

I currently have a Twin 2.25" into a single 3". No drone, sounds good. I'll be making Move to a Twin 2.25 all the way through with an X pipe and Hooker Aerochambers. But, mine isn't exactly your stock EB. AU 220KW spec with a T3 cam and ported Explorer manifold.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

eh. The LTD sounded fine, and turns out that just before I bought it, it had a EPA warning issued on it.

My brother had a VP Calais with a 5L and a decent cam and stall with a twin 2.5" with no cross pipes. Sounded really good.

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I meant that the setup I'll be moving to well be too big for a stocker. X Pipes are there for power and torque, not noise. Although they do hello eliminate the thong slap some cars get

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: DF LTD

VIC, Australia

X pipes are used to quieten a system that is too large for the engine and they remove wonderful things like the Clevo howl - don't fit the X pipe, it'll sound more like a real V8 and less like a smooth boring Euro.

Your brother's Calais would have sounded great with that system.

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

El Tazo wrote:
X pipes are used to quieten a system that is too large for the engine and they remove wonderful things like the Clevo howl - don't fit the X pipe, it'll sound more like a real V8 and less like a smooth boring Euro.

NO! An X pipe is used to promote cylinder scavenging, increasing torque and power.

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

El Tazo wrote:

It did actually. Didn't sound like a boat like most standard Holden 5L do with an exhaust

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

El Tazo wrote:

No, that's not correct. X-pipes balance pulses, increase power/torque and they also help promote noise.

I have a Magnaflow Tru-X, not one of those crossovers that is just two bent pipes joined in the middle. It creates a very nice crackle as the revs increase.

With that I have two 6" Magnapacks, one on either side before the diff. It sounds damn tough!

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]