Fordmods Logo

[NEW HERE] BF Falcon mk2 sound system upgrade [Limited Fund] 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: [NEW HERE] BF Falcon mk2 sound system upgrade [Limited Fund]
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, I'm new here so don't be too harsh :lol:
I was wondering what would I need too do, to upgrade the headunit or ICC to install 1 ported 600-1000w subwoofer/amplifier,
Right now,
I found a 600w subwoofer that comes with the amp for $209. its cadence so I don't know if its a good brand or not. I havent heard of it before...

I'd prefer too keep the original ICC, I've seen a few forums on here where people have put in a Headunit in the lower compartment area below the ICC. But I'd prefer not too do that, and if its really needed, I've thought about a small 2 din 7" screen put into that space, only if its really needed though. and If I put a subwoofer in, is it recommended that the speakers should be upgraded as well?

I have limited cash too spend on this.. so, try keep prices too a minimum.

Hope this is enough information, if you need any other info, or want me to explain more. Just ask.

Cheers guys!

Previous - 07 Ford Falcon Futura MK2.
Current - 07 Ford Fairmont GHIA MK2.

Post subject: Re: [NEW HERE] BF Falcon mk2 sound system upgrade [Limited Fund]
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 1990 XF Ute

VIC, Australia

welcome to fordmods mr zannon i would say that since the fg does not have rca output im guessing the bf doesnt either so to get a sub n amp running on the original headunit id say u would need line converters mayb soemone can confirm this for me?

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:21 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Links to products would be great as well thanks Brad. :wink:

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 1990 XF Ute

VIC, Australia

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ba XR6 mk2 n/a

NSW, Australia

Hey welcome...
Ok I got my system from strathfield , they installed an amp under my passenger seat. One 12 inch MTX sub. And new 5 by 7 speakers. Also you need to keep the icc there for all the other controls. ;s
A deck can fit under neath your icc. But then the stock cd player and radio will not work. You can't have both lol. I didn't get a deck put in cause I didn Wana lose the original player. And it sounds awesome the way it's set up from the icc ;) Also by pressing the am button on the icc makes it go to aux for iPod. This requires a cable that costs about 120$ , plays n charges at the same time..
Hope this helps .

BANNED USER

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: g6e 2009

WA, Australia

why do you want to keep the icc? its pretty average. if your on a low budget better off doing a good setup in steps. first up get brackets for tissue box stezza replacement. then buy a replacement stezza at a sale for cash and get a discount. (it will be better quality, have rca outs, and play mp3s). use stock speakers till you can afford to upgrade. for cheap stuff look on ebay or wait till the after xmas sales. better to use good stuff bought at a discount than use crap stuff at full price.

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:12 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

By "keep the ICC" I mean, use that as the stereo, instead of getting an aftermarket one.

That was the primary question sorta, if it was possible too use the ICC for the stereo, CD's etc instead of replacing it with an aftermarket one. But the ICC doesnt have RCA inputs as far as I'm aware of, so is there a converter or something that could be placed on the ICC to make it have a RCA input for an amp/subwoofer.

Right now. I have about $290-$310ish too spend, So I thought about collecting it all in parts, meaning like, Buying the headunit first (if I have to go that way) then buy subwoofers/speakers/amps etc etc once I get enough cash. Its my first car so all I really care about is have a good sound system.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XT

NSW, Australia

by using the stock unit and running your soundsystem throught it will be easy with the help of a frag capacter but you wont be able to unleash the full potential of your speakers.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:21 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ba 05 xr6 mkII

QLD, Australia

if u find a cheap premium sound icc will that have rca coming out the back of it as it has the amp and sub in the prumium sound set up??

ive wanted to put in an amp and sub as well but want to keep the same icc as well but im thinking of upgrading now to a colour screen premium sound icc unit if a sub and amp can be fitted :D

05 ba xr6 mkII

Mods: Re-spray, Interior LEDS, K&N air filter, 20" versus rims, SuperLow King springs all round, Monroe Gt shortened rear shocks, 2.5" XFORCE Catback mild steel exhaust with twin 3" tips

The Garage: http://www.fordmods.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106741

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

NSW, Australia

ba_xr6bw wrote:
Also you need to keep the icc there for all the other controls. ;s
A deck can fit under neath your icc. But then the stock cd player and radio will not work. You can't have both lol. .

:roll: yes you can and it's not that hard to do and it allows you to play either the ICC or after market stereo through the speakers, therefore there is no chance of damage :twisted:

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:07 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon XH ute

WA, Australia

Check on ebay for a whole new head unit but still keep the icc i recently brought a bf mk2 bloody awesome cars love fords also thinking of putting in a amp and a sub everyone says to buy a new head unit but who cares stick with standard one keeps it oringinal, i got told also to buy the plug for the back to just connect to the amp idk if this is true but if i find a way ill let you know mate..

Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

ive done the audio system in my ba xr6, and it sounds great, ive got the standard ICC, what i did was replace the speakers with 6.5" rounds, have 2 amps, class AB to run the speakers and a class D for the sub.
i taped into the original speaker lines and ran them to line converters, from the line converters its just a simple RCA output into the amp.
you can even get some amps that accept high level inputs but i believe their going to be more expensive.
also consider if you change the head unit to an aftermarket one, you've got the cost of running RCA leads from the head unit to the amp, and decent RCA leads aren't cheap!!!. In my set up my RCA leads are only a foot long, and that's because i couldn't find them in a shorter size.

also for ipod connectivity you can buy cables of ebay for about 10-30 bucks that plug into the mobile hands-free input behind the fusebox under the steering wheel. or you can buy it from fraud for $110 for the same thing....

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, cheers for all the info, sorry for the really delayed replies! School, work and other things have been in the way. Recently I've been gathering information and parts for my set up, so far here is the list

1400w Pioneer Subwoofers - $399 for 2.
1000w Pioneer 6x9's - $178
Vibe amp, can't remember info on it, haven't picked it up yet - $449
Slim/slick? 5x7's around 500w haven't picked those up either - $130
A lower facia - $50 off eBay
Probably $50-100 range on cables and other small things.
None of this is installed yet. Waiting on Xmas sales to get a few deals on getting it put in, as well as custom box's to fit in boot, I'm thinking of getting them either one on each side just before the wheel well, or facing into the seat part where it folds down, I may supply a picture if I can find one of what I mean, I saw a dodge charger with a similar set up. And really liked the idea of it.

Plus Super Low King springs for the back, as well as a custom air intake, basic ecu tune, exhaust, and picked an aeropro Aux adapter up from auto bane for $30 :)

Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:34 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2006 BF XR6

WA, Australia

I know this post is fairly old now, though im sure it still gets views.

If you want a cheap way (and still have your car sounding decent) then I would suggest getting yourself a line level converter for your subs ( you can pick one up at jaycar for about 15 bucks).

I wanted to keep the stock look in my BF XR6 (I think its ugly to have a deck below the ICC).

So Basically all I did with my cars stock sound system was switch out all the speakers for some new MB Quart speakers (5x7"). I got a line level converter and tapped into one of the rear speakers, sending out a low level RCA signal - which then went to my 2 channel amp. I bridged that to my 12" kenwood sub (ive had this sub sitting in my shed for a couple years now).

I Only needed to run one wire from the front of the car which was to the battery. I earthed the amp to a bolt close by. For the remote wire I also tapped that into the back speaker (I was a bit sceptical that this would cause interference) but surprisingly it worked a treat, and I only had to run 1 metre of cable.

I set up the EQ on the dash to suit my speakers, and it sounds insane! Definitely a lot better than what I was hoping for/expecting.

I haven't done this with my car, but I'm sure it would still work quite well. If you wanted to keep the stock deck but power all your speakers from amps, you could probably pull out the ICC and tap into the speaker wires and run a line converter (not a low level one for your standard speakers). Send RCA out to a 4 channel amp and then power your speakers from new wiring. For subs, just chuck in a mono block and get the signal from an RCA output on your amp.

If your really picky with having extra EQs/crossovers on your deck, then you will be better off with a seperate deck below. Though in saying this, the set-up I mentioned above with my falcon sounds insane, and just as good/if not better than previous set-ups I've had with full installs.

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:07 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Update. New headunit installed
Axis Audio AX1277NAV.

And I absolutely love it!
Reverse camera is also being hooked up to display on the monitor when in reverse.

Next, LED conversion to match the blue lights of the headunit.

Attachments:
after.jpg
after.jpg [ 82.4 KiB | Viewed 683 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]