Fordmods Logo

Fuel line connection 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Fuel line connection
Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Falcon

VIC, Australia

Hi Just recently removed a 4.0 l FI from an EF falcon but had to cut the fuel supply hose as I could not access the connection at the rear of the manifold.

my question is; is it possible to just reconnect the hose using a brass hose connector and hose clamps?

Thanks Joe

Post subject: Re: Fuel line connection
Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:14 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

jjfalcon wrote:
Hi Just recently removed a 4.0 l FI from an EF falcon but had to cut the fuel supply hose as I could not access the connection at the rear of the manifold.

my question is; is it possible to just reconnect the hose using a brass hose connector and hose clamps?

Thanks Joe

I would suggest no, seeing as it is under pressure you will have fuel going every where.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

I've done it but it's not recommended. Apparently anything over 10psi with fuel should not see hose clamps.

I purchased a fuel line disconnect kit and ended up throwing it in the tool heap and using my fingers, there's a knack to it but it's possible. I would suggest purchasing a second hand set of lines from a wrecker & utilising those.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 58 images

Ride: 2009 ve ss manual L98

SA, Australia

Use fuel line hose making sure you have PLENTY of overlap (rubber over original line) and attach 2 small U clamps each end. I have lots of these small U clamps and they have 8mm nuts on them would be perfect for the job

Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The early E series use hose clamps on the pressure and return lines from the pump... They never spray fuel and work fine under pressure... It's all I have with all the AU gear now fitted because the steel lines on my body will only accept hose clamps... Not those poxy plastic things on the EF onwards...

Only reason ford used them was 3 reasons... First being the assembly line operators can't under tighten it... Second being they can't over tighten it... Third being it was faster to assemble on the line...

All I recommend is get good quality hose clamps... I use Tridon Stainless ones... The std ones on the early e series strip out when you remove the fuel rail for the first time... I also have a brass T in my pressure line for checking the fuel system pressure as part of maintenance... It goes to a fluid pressure fitting near the washer bottle... The brass Tee has barbs and hose clamps...

It's only 60 odd psi at full load... hose clamp will hold it easy... If it were 1000psi I'd have a different theory but...

Key to a good seal is the right size fitting, a good barb to lock it on, a good quality hose clamp and not under or over tightening it...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Falcon

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the info
I ended up getting a hose mob to make up a new one using the original ends for 35 bucks

Thanks for the info again!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]