URGENT - dome light, car not starting 

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: URGENT - dome light, car not starting
Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

I carry an assortment of different fuses, relays, globes, screws, clips and all sorts of other bits and pieces in my car at all times

Gab

Post subject: Re: Keeping fuses in your car
Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:56 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1997 Ford El Falcon Gli Wagon

SA, Australia

ShriG wrote:
borrow a fuse. hmmm - now there's a good idea. Got caught up in the emotion i guess, that or my brain doesn't work!! The good news was that I got exercise, the bad news was that it was raining.

I love the taping spare fuses to the fuse panel idea! That is my next 'mod' no question!

If any of you guys want to get some fuses cheap, check out eBay. This is where I got a bag of 120 assorted fuses, which I keep in the glove box.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120pcs-Mini- ... c0b&_uhb=1

It only cost me $5!

Ride: '97 EL Falcon GLi Wagon
Mods: 2.5" Redback catback, 6000k HID, Blue LED Trip Computer, Blue LED dash, LED Audi Style Parker Lights, Footwell Lighting, White interior door handles with fade in and out with parker lights, Fairlane rear courtesy lamp.

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:31 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF 2 Fairmont. AU 5 Litre ute

VIC, Australia

I thought if your playing around and cuting wires like that, that disconnect the battery is step number one.

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

shipo_1150 wrote:
I thought if your playing around and cuting wires like that, that disconnect the battery is step number one.

It is a good safety precaution, I agree. But when you know exactly which wires you are dealing with it shouldn't be a problem. I have labelled every wire I have put into my car and disconnect the battery or fuses as required. Besides when there is no risk of shorting anything, as is the case when the interior illumination fuse is pulled on my car, it is pretty time inefficient to disconnect the battery, at least in my case, as I have not yet installed a decent terminal block or isolator, so it takes a good 3 minutes to get everything detached. :lol:

Really, if you can afford it, the best thing to do is install an inline 200A+ isolator in between the negative terminal of your battery and a terminal block. But that would be a bit over the top for a one off job or somebody who isn't doing electrical mods every second day.

Do any of you guys know of anybody who could cut a good deal on a 12V 200A+ isolator switch?

Mods: 2.5" Redback catback, 6000k HID, Blue LED Trip Computer, Blue LED dash, LED Audi Style Parker Lights, Footwell Lighting, White interior door handles with fade in and out with parker lights, Fairlane rear courtesy lamp.

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

Gab1 wrote:
I carry an assortment of different fuses, relays, globes, screws, clips and all sorts of other bits and pieces in my car at all times

Gab

Great idea, mate. I am just starting to build an in-car kit myself. You can never have too many spare parts in your car! :lol:

I have a spare fan belt, interior light bulb, fuses, tire, screwdrivers, socket set, electrical tape, radiator hoses, coolant, 10L potable water, engine oil, flashlight, headlight bulbs, spare loose wire, wire strippers. I probably have some more things in there, too, but I will never stop adding to it. Besides it's a wagon, so there is heaps of room to stash tools and parts! :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2