FE into ED 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: FE into ED
Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:35 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

The Pro flo XT is only available for 289/302 I'm afraid.
The Ram base is not used for high rpm power, it's used for equal runner length and low overall height so you can fit it under bonnet. You could in fact have a rear side mount t-body onto whatever plenum you make for it if, the front mount still doesn't give you the room required.
If it's going to be a mildy the stock EFI intake if probably the way to go.
Direct ignition is very easy once you get the encoder wheel sorted and your cam pickup which you can easily mod an old dizzy housing for. The AU EECV is a goodn for this and your BTR trans and you could even use the whole AU 5.0L Harness. The added bonus with using EECV is that you could say it's factory engine management and therefore "Legal":) The beauty of EECV is that you could use the 1/4 horse to dial it in and then flash the cal into the EEC and remove the 1/4 horse. Then they can't say you've f**k with the cal:)

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:43 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

If you have early Pre-EFI heads you could use this one at the bottom of the page...

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new ... r_bb.shtml

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:59 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 92, EB, Fairmont

WA, Australia

Mate you're a wealth of knowledge.......... I never even considered running a factory ECU for engine management, just figured I was either going to have to find an old cheap Ambulance, import from the US of A, or go complete aftermarket............. Standard intake system will be fine, current rebuild is looking at around 9.5:1 compression, Ally heads, mild cam and valve train, somewhere around the 400 ponies, keep it nice an sedate just for proof of concept, then maybe have a bit of fun :-) ............... The t-body? You're talking about the throttle body huh? Can you explain the 1/4 horse? Not sure I'm understanding it correctly.............. I'm thinking I best wrap up my compound boost project and order some parts and get this big block running again, then do some basic fitment and talk to my engineer..............

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:55 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Real time tuning and datalogging using the stock EEC. The quarterhorse is an absolute bargain!

https://www.moates.net/quarterhorse-for ... l?cPath=63

Then you wanna buy these two bits of software to tune it too...

http://www.eecanalyzer.net/downloads

t-body = Throttle body

I think there's even a bit of support for the 7.5L EEC's so you could run the whole show on the std EEC. Doesn't help with controlling the trans though. In fact none of the U.S. EEC's can control the BTR which is a 7 solenoid trans whereas 4R70 or E4OD are 5 solenoid and completely different control strategies. That's why I suggest the AU EECV.

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Is it an easy enough system for the average mechanic to use? Sweet, thought so............ If can get the engine to comply with emissions standards and maintaining an auto causes problems I'll run with the T56, the AOD is tempting but haven't come across too many for what I would consider reasonable money, just concerned about bellhousing clearance in the tunnel though........... I really would like to keep everything the way it was out of the factory with the exception of the dirty great lump of an engine nestled between the strut towers :-)............... Think I might take a look on Ford tomorrow or give the boffins in Perth a call and get some ECU and wiring diagrams and nut out how much computer controlling the system runs...........

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:06 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

I would hope so. Depends how good the average mechanic is?
The 4R70w is the electronic version of the AOD and much much better too. I've been down the AOD route...my advice; DON'T!
The AOD,4R70 and BTR all use the same 164T flexplate so the Bell is the same size. I think A C6 will fit in the tunnel so I don't think that will be your problem.
I've got all the AU EECV info, harnesses,EEC's etc. You won't get much out of Ford I'm afraid.
Here's pinout of the EEC....
Attachment:
EECVw_trans.pdf [274.81 KiB]
Downloaded 284 times

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

I work for Covs so have access to the Ford and GM electronic parts catalogues'............ Got the boffins in Perth taking a look at wiring harness and ECU for a late model big block powered f-truck, should know tomorrow if it's still available out of the US of A.............. One perk to the f-truck stuff is that in 96 in the US OBDII diagnostics was made compulsory on all vehicles, so makes it easier to troubleshoot down the track if need be............. Roughly what sort of price should I expect to pay for a 4R70W box? Is the rebuild price similar to that of the BTR? Thanks for the pinout, 7 solenoid trans? looks like AU?

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:18 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

If you've got a 1/4 horse you can datalog anyway and in real time.
I got my 4R70 from Hughes Peformance transmissions in the U.S. and it's cheaper to build stronger than a BTR. Mine cost about 3.5 landed here with a low stall converter and Derale trans cooler and fan and airfreight in just 3 days. It's built to handle 500hp/550lb/ft. Check my rangie thread for more details. They are the best company I have dealt with in the U.S., Excellent service. They even sent me a complete new valve body for free because It was shifting a bit too hard...chirping tyres in a constant 4wd car is not so good.
Yep the diag is AU. It's the first 5.0 EEC that could control both trans and engine. Earlier EECIV and V didn't have enough drivers for both a sequentially fired V8 and a 7 solenoid trans. That's why it's the best(only) combo for use on any V8 with a BTR where you can dial in both.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2