Fordmods Logo

What is the J3 kw increase from experience 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: What is the J3 kw increase from experience
Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:24 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ford

VIC, Australia

Hey, I need some advice from people that have done it before and are not guessing. The T.i performance j3 chip seems like vale for money. It is said to give you better fuel, idel and more power. Has any one witnesses the power increase. Is it a noticeable gain or not worth the time.

In my position I have a el xr6 with an el gt snorkel, jmm intake piping, jmm extractors, 2.5 inch exaurst and a 100 CPI high flow cat.

Would the pre-programmed j3 chip give me any gains that is noticeable?????? and if so how much from experience. Cheers

Post subject: Re: What is the J3 kw increase from experience
Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

i gained about 5kw from one of jase's tunes, but a s**t load more in the low/ mid rev range. i also got a fair bit more out of it when i changed the cam and had a dyno tune. it also gives you the ability to retune it for any future mods you might do, like another cam etc.
well worth the money

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

well that gives me a little more confidence, though was the 5KW at the wheels? and was that from a dyno figure?

also how was the fuel consumption?

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

yeah 5rwkw on a dyno, but my afrs were pretty good to start with so wasnt too much room for improvement, fuel consumption was better as midrange was improved. i had 134rwkw with 977b114 cam, extractors, high flow cat, bigger intake and k&n filter, after fitting the chip with one of jase's tunes it had 139rwkw. i ended up changing cams later on and actually had it tuned on the dyno and it made 154rwkw

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

wow....... so from a cam and j3 chip being dyno tuned 154rwkw.

if you don't mind me asking, which performance shop dyno tuned your car, using your J3 chip.
as it is har to find a performance shop that will do the E series anymore.

also what cam did you end up using?

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

A1 gas and mechanical in hallam. I ended up using a 977b with 110 lsa. but I have a manual

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:27 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

serbnz wrote:
Hey, I need some advice from people that have done it before and are not guessing. The T.i performance j3 chip seems like vale for money. It is said to give you better fuel, idel and more power. Has any one witnesses the power increase. Is it a noticeable gain or not worth the time.

In my position I have a el xr6 with an el gt snorkel, jmm intake piping, jmm extractors, 2.5 inch exaurst and a 100 CPI high flow cat.

Would the pre-programmed j3 chip give me any gains that is noticeable?????? and if so how much from experience. Cheers

Tune is important, J3 will give you flexibility to tune the engine to make the most out of a combination of modifications. Although I personally would buy the J3 chip last after doing more modifications, especially after camshaft and fuel system upgrade. I don't think you will see much difference with your current mods, but every car is different, so don't hold me to it. It will give you an opportunity later on to improve with more mods though.

I ran my car with modifications on a standard ECU and resistor trick (manual conversion). It ran fine, although idle was bad and the power delivery wasn't as smooth. Got a J3 with a manual XR6 bin file and it fixed the idle and power delivery which was nice. Just got to make sure the J3 chip sits snug in the ECU, you will have issues if not done correctly.

I don't have dyno readings unfortunately. The 144rwkw was pre-J3 chip...I would hope there is a power increase after J3 chip.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]