'97 EL Falcon GLi - Installing Chrome Interior Door Handles 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: '97 EL Falcon GLi - Installing Chrome Interior Door Handles
Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1997 Ford El Falcon Gli Wagon

SA, Australia

G'day, guys.

I just ordered some cappuccino chrome door handles for my '97 EL GLi Falcon. The only problem is I have a grey interior.

I am wondering if it is possible to take the chrome door handle piece out of the cappuccino handles and install it into my original grey plastic door handles by removing the original grey plastic handle and installing the new chrome handle in its place.

Do any of you guys have any idea how to do this? I thought I had better get some advice to avoid breaking them, as they were certainly not cheap.

Thanks in advance guys, your help will be very much appreciated. :)

Ride: '97 EL Falcon GLi Wagon
Mods: 2.5" Redback catback, 6000k HID, Blue LED Trip Computer, Blue LED dash, LED Audi Style Parker Lights, Footwell Lighting, White interior door handles with fade in and out with parker lights, Fairlane rear courtesy lamp.

Post subject: Re: '97 EL Falcon GLi - Installing Chrome Interior Door Handles
Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yep I did it with mine, easy to do you will see when you receive them pretty self explanatory

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yeah I did it too. From memory you have to push the pin out with a small screwdriver, get the spring and handle out. Put it into the new plastic bit, put the plastic grommets on he end of the handle and put the metal wire from inside the door through that.

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Or you could use the opportunity to paint them..

I got sick of waiting for a set of chrome ones to come up that wasn't stupidly priced. So I went for the reversed look. (This was a few years ago though)

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

GeZza200 was right, it was pretty self explanatory.

I removed the chrome insert from he cappuccino handles and fitted it into the grey original plastic handles. I would record and upload a video but I am using a dial-up Internet connection right now, so that is impossible! :lol: Anyway, this is what I did:

Removing chrome insert from cappuccino door handle:

1) Spray a squirt of WD-40 on each end of he gold retaining pin.
2) Use a 3mm flat head manual screwdriver to turn the retaining pin, switching ends to push the pin back and forth inside the hole.
3) Use the flat end of a 2.5mm drill bit to push the retaining pin out.
4) Remove the white plastic control rod holder from the rear of the handle.
5) Remove the chrome handle and the pressure spring behind it.

Installing chrome insert into original grey plastic door handle:

1) Remove the plastic door handle insert as in the instructions above.
2) Refit the spring into the original handle.
3) Fit chrome handle into the original handle.
4) Refit lubricated retaining pin into hole, twisting and pushing with a 3mm flat head screwdriver helps.
5) Refit white plastic control rod holder into rear of chrome handle.
6) Refit the new custom handle into your door and enjoy.

Note: This is a prime time to do the LED door handle mod described here:
documents.php?d=68

The combination of a white LED and a chrome door handle looks great. A simple modification I have done to my Falcon is to run a wire from the parking lamps relay (internal fuse box near the driver's right knee, top right relay) to each of the LED door handles through a diode to prevent parking lamps from turning on with the interior courtesy light. The diode is only required if you also connect the LEDs in your door handles to the interior courtesy lamp wiring.

Thanks a lot for your advice, guys. Fortunately I was able to figure it out by myself. I just didn't want to break them! :lol:

Mods: 2.5" Redback catback, 6000k HID, Blue LED Trip Computer, Blue LED dash, LED Audi Style Parker Lights, Footwell Lighting, White interior door handles with fade in and out with parker lights, Fairlane rear courtesy lamp.

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

GeZza200 was right, it was pretty self explanatory.

I removed the chrome insert from he cappuccino handles and fitted it into the grey original plastic handles. I would record and upload a video but I am using a dial-up Internet connection right now, so that is impossible! :lol: Anyway, this is what I did:

Removing chrome insert from cappuccino door handle:

1) Spray a squirt of WD-40 on each end of he gold retaining pin.
2) Use a 3mm flat head manual screwdriver to turn the retaining pin, switching ends to push the pin back and forth inside the hole.
3) Use the flat end of a 2.5mm drill bit to push the retaining pin out.
4) Remove the white plastic control rod holder from the rear of the handle.
5) Remove the chrome handle and the pressure spring behind it.

Installing chrome insert into original grey plastic door handle:

1) Remove the plastic door handle insert as in the instructions above.
2) Refit the spring into the original handle.
3) Fit chrome handle into the original handle.
4) Refit lubricated retaining pin into hole, twisting and pushing with a 3mm flat head screwdriver helps.
5) Refit white plastic control rod holder into rear of chrome handle.
6) Refit the new custom handle into your door and enjoy.

Note: This is a prime time to do the LED door handle mod described here:
documents.php?d=68

The combination of a white LED and a chrome door handle looks great. A simple modification I have done to my Falcon is to run a wire from the parking lamps relay (internal fuse box near the driver's right knee, top right relay) to each of the LED door handles through a diode to prevent parking lamps from turning on with the interior courtesy light. The diode is only required if you also connect the LEDs in your door handles to the interior courtesy lamp wiring.

Thanks a lot for your advice, guys. Fortunately I was able to figure it out by myself. I just didn't want to break them! :lol:

Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
Yep I did it with mine, easy to do you will see when you receive them pretty self explanatory

Thanks, mate. I got it all figured out. :)

Just out of curiosity, how did you get a 3" exhaust on your EL Futura? I heard somewhere that to fit a 3" exhaust to an EL, you had to have a 2.5" bottleneck somewhere around the fuel tank for some reason. Is that true?

Is it 3" from the manifold back or from the cat back? How much did it set you back and were you able to install it yourself?

Sorry for all the questions, mate. I am just really curious, as I have very rarely heard of a 3" exhaust on an EL before. Apparently it can cause a lot of problems during installation.

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Chafflube wrote:
GeZza200 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how did you get a 3" exhaust on your EL Futura? I heard somewhere that to fit a 3" exhaust to an EL, you had to have a 2.5" bottleneck somewhere around the fuel tank for some reason. Is that true?

Is it 3" from the manifold back or from the cat back? How much did it set you back and were you able to install it yourself?

Sorry for all the questions, mate. I am just really curious, as I have very rarely heard of a 3" exhaust on an EL before. Apparently it can cause a lot of problems during installation.

Hey mate, it was custom made and its from the extractors back, you can fit a 3" under there quite easily, people have had 4" before.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:23 pm 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

GeZza200 wrote:
Chafflube wrote:
GeZza200 wrote:

Hey mate, it was custom made and its from the extractors back, you can fit a 3" under there quite easily, people have had 4" before.

Cheers for the info, mate. I have never heard of 4", that is incredible. I bet that would make a Falcon sound like a bat out of hell. Well thanks for letting me know, I would love to know how much a 3" custom exhaust like yours would cost. I have a wagon, by the way, so I imagine it would cost a tad more for the extra length.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]