Fordmods Logo

will this elm327 scantool work on my el falcon? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: will this elm327 scantool work on my el falcon?
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:40 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL sedan gli

QLD, Australia

Hi all, been a while now. just bought another ford after owning an isuzu mu for a few years (and still have it). i bought the falcon for my missus as she finds the mu "rough" (its a diesel).

anyway i am interested in knowing if these work on ef/el falcons.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/V1-5-ELM327- ... 2a1a507f4f

i see that they read J1850 PWM which i thought was the protocol that the eec uses.
can anyone confirm that they do work on ef/el fords? or point me in the direction of one which will?

thanks to all in advance, its been a while since i was here and i see that the forum has changed a lot. looks like its running well.

Stock EL Gli Sedan, Tickford 98 EL/AU Hybrid Swapped in after aux shaft failure due to a lazy mechanic who can't service cars and aftermarket distributor-of-death-made-in-china crap.
Soon to be: The FalcMont - Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=120773

Post subject: Re: will this elm327 scantool work on my el falcon?
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:01 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

No.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:02 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

So there is no such device capable of this other than maybe a ford dealership tool?

Stock EL Gli Sedan, Tickford 98 EL/AU Hybrid Swapped in after aux shaft failure due to a lazy mechanic who can't service cars and aftermarket distributor-of-death-made-in-china crap.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

caseyaberhart wrote:
So there is no such device capable of this other than maybe a ford dealership tool?

There are plenty of non-genuine scan tools that can read the codes and do the KOEO and KOER tests.

If you looked at the plug you'd see the difference between the that cable and the EF/L connector.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:21 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i wouldnt mind trying on on my au, but ive heard the au is still obd1 protocol with obd2 port...??

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:02 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Ford SCP (Standard Corporate Protocol) - ie something proprietary - with OBD2 port. The SCT flash tuners can read/clear AU codes and Wilson Wu sells scantools that will do so as well.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

With an AU I wouldn't settle for just being able to read and clear codes. reading and clearing codes isn't really that useful anyway.

The AU while not OBD2 still has a bunch of useful stuff.

Search ebay for a carman lite.
This one is CHEAP but only comes with the what looks like the DL16 cable and no adaptors.
The DL16 cable will do AU and all 16 pin OBD2 style plugs.
It will give you full access to your AU and bunch of other cars.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARMAN-LITE- ... 460a8bc303

Sometimes I wish some people could get 15mins with proper diagnostic tools. Hate to rain on the parade, but those cheap code readers really are just toy.
The carman lite will leave the all the 'toys' for dead. In my workshop the my carman is considered a toy compared my Snap on Modis.
The other problem with cheap easy code readers is that all the people who clear codes all the time are clearing the freeze frame data that is stored with the code. This makes it a tougher job for a mechanic when you really do need it fixed, as half the good info has been cleared.

Anyone can join the snap-on diagnostics forum (USA based) Just for fun join up and have look around. You will :shock: when you see what real diag tools can do.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:39 pm 

NSW, Australia

sly wrote:
Ford SCP (Standard Corporate Protocol) - ie something proprietary - with OBD2 port. The SCT flash tuners can read/clear AU codes and Wilson Wu sells scantools that will do so as well.

my sct flash tune does read and clear codes, it also data logs but the data log optiond are very limited for the au1. i cant even work out a few of them, on the xcal3 wtf is longftl? then there is tp_v, i assume that is (throttle position voltage) which reads 137.00 :? to me that dont make sense as i know what the tps voltage should be.. i do like the featurs of the elm327 via bluetooth to my phone but it seems like it wont work anyway...

tickford_6 wrote:
With an AU I wouldn't settle for just being able to read and clear codes. reading and clearing codes isn't really that useful anyway.

The AU while not OBD2 still has a bunch of useful stuff.

Search ebay for a carman lite.
This one is CHEAP but only comes with the what looks like the DL16 cable and no adaptors.
The DL16 cable will do AU and all 16 pin OBD2 style plugs.
It will give you full access to your AU and bunch of other cars.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CARMAN-LITE- ... 460a8bc303

Sometimes I wish some people could get 15mins with proper diagnostic tools. Hate to rain on the parade, but those cheap code readers really are just toy.
The carman lite will leave the all the 'toys' for dead. In my workshop the my carman is considered a toy compared my Snap on Modis.
The other problem with cheap easy code readers is that all the people who clear codes all the time are clearing the freeze frame data that is stored with the code. This makes it a tougher job for a mechanic when you really do need it fixed, as half the good info has been cleared.

Anyone can join the snap-on diagnostics forum (USA based) Just for fun join up and have look around. You will :shock: when you see what real diag tools can do.

your right, the elm327 is just a fun toy that can give you cool info, nothing quite like the carman light, and while it does do much much more than the basic code scanner or elm327 toy.. its usually something the home mechanic wouldnt justify buying for its cool featurs..

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
then there is tp_v, i assume that is (throttle position voltage) which reads 137.00 :? to me that dont make sense as i know what the tps voltage should be..

That would be reading in A/D counts - the digital translation of an analogue voltage. The voltage range of a sensor is converted to a number between 0 and 1023 for the ECU to process.

So assuming the TPS is strictly linear from 0 to 5 volts, an A/D count of 137 corresponds to 137/1023*5V, or around 0.67V.

But I take your point, the datalogger should be programmed to convert the reading back to volts or even a % position (or your choice of the 2) which are both more intuitive than A/D counts.

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
The carman lite will leave the all the 'toys' for dead.

If it can log AFR (from a WB02) v's load and rpm on an AU1 - without freezing up or dropping out like the Some Cunnuva Thing "datalogger", I'll have one

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:30 pm 

NSW, Australia

sly wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
then there is tp_v, i assume that is (throttle position voltage) which reads 137.00 :? to me that dont make sense as i know what the tps voltage should be..

That would be reading in A/D counts - the digital translation of an analogue voltage. The voltage range of a sensor is converted to a number between 0 and 1023 for the ECU to process.

So assuming the TPS is strictly linear from 0 to 5 volts, an A/D count of 137 corresponds to 137/1023*5V, or around 0.67V.

But I take your point, the datalogger should be programmed to convert the reading back to volts or even a % position (or your choice of the 2) which are both more intuitive than A/D counts.

thanks sly, that makes sense as the tps voltage closed throttle supposed to be .07v +or-...
i was playing around with the sct data logging hoping to find afr or lambda with no luck..lol

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

TROYMAN wrote:
your right, the elm327 is just a fun toy that can give you cool info, nothing quite like the carman light, and while it does do much much more than the basic code scanner or elm327 toy.. its usually something the home mechanic wouldnt justify buying for its cool featurs..

For the $5500 they cost new, I can understand the home mechanic not buying one.

But when they come up on Ebay for sub $1500 it's start to look pretty attractive considering the out of the box vehicle coverage and capability.
Not to mention access to the tech support and heap of further info that you can request at no charge.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:31 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Guess ford doesn't like the idea of us modifying their eec systems. I am looking into the tweecer and j3 chip.

Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU2 Falcon Poverty Pack

NSW, Australia

Hi, I thought Id drop in a word as this is a site I found whilst trying to find an answer as to wither or not a ELM327 clone is worth a pinch of s**t for my AU.

And it turns out it was, but only after a lot of faffing around on the internet for an answer that I feel could be easier to find!

So basically the ELM327 clones can read the data from an AU (Im assuming previous Fords, if they have the pretension of using the OBD2 port it should be good to go) the problem is finding a program to then read the output, which several don't (example: Torque for Android). So I ended up stumbling over a program named FORscan (www.forscan.org) which happens to quite happily speak the language of J1850 PWM and Ford SCP.

Now there are a couple of other programs that also talk the Ford SCP lingo, so I am currently running through a stack of them to see if I cant drag the PID's out of one of them and plug them all into Torque and get it up and running.

But, to sum it up incase TL;DR, Fords pre-OBD2 CAN talk using ELM327 clones, just use the right software

Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU II Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Hey mate,
Did you end up getting it to work on torque?

AU II Fairlane Ghia 180 hp@ the wheels, Pacemaker 4499, RedBack 2.5", stock CAT, CAI, Lovells low's. More to come

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next