AU helllpp, please 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: AU helllpp, please
Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:06 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ford AU Fairlane

WA, Australia

G'day guys, sorry for the question but I did loads of searches and came up with nout.

Have a 99 AU fairlane - 6 cylinder VCT engine. Tuesday i cleaned the throttle body out and then filled up with vortex 98 +1 litre metho +5-600mls kero. The main difference came from cleaning throttle body out.

Since then it has been running great, so responsive and such a pleasure to drive. Although it has been idling at 900-1000 and using a bit more fuel (although this could be because of me) since cleaning. I thought resetting the computer would do the trick, it made the gear changes MUCH smoother and slightly better fuel consumption but no improvement on idle speed.

Is the idle speed adjustable? Is mixture adjustable? Without special equipment i mean.

Also I bought some standard injectors online (they were cheap) with the intention of cleaning them out and swapping them over but is it possible to mod them at all? If not, are there any bigger and better ones from another vehicle that will fit?

Post subject: Re: AU helllpp, please
Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:15 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Chrisso81 wrote:
Is the idle speed adjustable

The Idle Speed is controlled by the computer... The computer will request an idle speed of about 725rpm when the car is warm and air con and power steering aren't engaged... It will request and idle of 850rpm or there abouts with either or both the ac and power steering engaged...

The base idle speed can be set with the proper test equipment including a tacho and scanner which can put the car into base timing mode... Read the attached...

Attachment:
falcon-au-2.pdf [31.47 KiB]
Downloaded 292 times

Chrisso81 wrote:
Is mixture adjustable?

It is is fuel injected... There is no mixture as such... There is AFR's and you can have the car loaded onto a dyno and run over and over again and have the computer tuned and the AFR's and mapping adjusted...

Chrisso81 wrote:
Also I bought some standard injectors online (they were cheap) with the intention of cleaning them out and swapping them over but is it possible to mod them at all? If not, are there any bigger and better ones from another vehicle that will fit?

They can't be modded... They can be cleaned and have new O ring installed... There is heaps of larger injectors that will fit... They are requirement when running forced induction... Because of the large quantity of air, a larger quantity of fuel is required... You can't just fit large injectors on a std tune but... You will still need a full dyno tune and the mapping adjusted... All they'll do is wind your large injectors back so their squirting the same amount of fuel as now, if not less... You have x amount of air... You need x amount of fuel for the correct AFR... You can't get anymore air in... So you don't need anymore fuel... And if the tuner leans it out you'll gain power at the risk of leaning too far and blowing the engine up...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:26 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Thanks for the advice Tim, I've never owned/modded an EFI car before so i still have a lot to learn about the whole lot. Please excuse the stupid questions in the meantime. Hahaha

My injectors came in the post today. Excitement. Haha. Can u recommend anywhere in Perth (although I can post them elsewhere if need be) to get them serviced???

Also saw the thread on putting a BA intake system on so was thinking of the BA system and snorkel and a k&n pod filter and a second custom made cold air intake from underneath front of the car or just behind the thermofans... What are your thoughts on this?

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:49 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Just take them anywhere with and ultra sonic cleaner... They just vibrate the debris back out of them and replace the o rings normally...

I saw a YouTube video where they compared filters on the dyno... On a Na car the k&n and pod made no difference... On a turbo car it had small gains... The mechanics I know don't like the k&n filters because of the oil that gets sucked in the intake...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Chrisso81 wrote:
Since then it has been running great, so responsive and such a pleasure to drive. Although it has been idling at 900-1000 and using a bit more fuel (although this could be because of me) since cleaning. I thought resetting the computer would do the trick, it made the gear changes MUCH smoother and slightly better fuel consumption but no improvement on idle speed.
You probably have a small vac leak somewhere.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:11 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Just take them anywhere with and ultra sonic cleaner... They just vibrate the debris back out of them and replace the o rings normally...

I saw a YouTube video where they compared filters on the dyno... On a Na car the k&n and pod made no difference... On a turbo car it had small gains... The mechanics I know don't like the k&n filters because of the oil that gets sucked in the intake...

Cheers,
Tim

Thanks again mate, will look somewhere up today for them

Will see if i can find anything on YouTube regarding intakes on NA. It doesn't specifically have to be k&N wanted a better than standard. I guess a comparable test would be to run it with no air filter (very short term of course) and see if there are any power gains from that.

Last edited by Chrisso81 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:13 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

MAD wrote:
Chrisso81 wrote:
You probably have a small vac leak somewhere.

Cheers, will have a look at that today

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

There is a slight difference with the pod.... but it's all noise. The pod/panel shouldn't be sucking oil in unless it's over oiled which is a common problem.

Since your new to efi the best gains to be made bang for buck are exhaust and mild cam, vct makes cam choice limited. Without a tune I'd just be focusing on the exhaust. Very small gains can be made with the intake but you have to get the gas out before letting more air in.

No point messing with idle until you've done all your 'cleaning' and are settled back on the standard pump fuel you will be using all the time, same as a tune.

Just my two cents...

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

As for cleaning the injectors, if you want to save a bit of money and learn a bit about injection at the same time, you can buy the kit from these guys:
https://www.aussiespeed.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=31

And there are heaps of videos on Youtube about how to do the cleaning using a syringe body, some throttle body cleaner and a 9-12V battery. I did this on the AU injectors I just put in my EF, and they work great. One note: fuel injectors have a shelf-life. If they have been out of a car - even after being cleaned - for weeks or months, they can seize, and may need to be re-serviced.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
There is a slight difference with the pod.... but it's all noise. The pod/panel shouldn't be sucking oil in unless it's over oiled which is a common problem.

Since your new to efi the best gains to be made bang for buck are exhaust and mild cam, vct makes cam choice limited. Without a tune I'd just be focusing on the exhaust. Very small gains can be made with the intake but you have to get the gas out before letting more air in.

No point messing with idle until you've done all your 'cleaning' and are settled back on the standard pump fuel you will be using all the time, same as a tune.

Just my two cents...

Cheers LR, have ordered new drilled and slotted front rotors, after zorst and extractors are next on the list.

Have finished cleaning fuel system and replaced injectors with freshly serviced ones now and the car is running beautifully and economically. Loving it. The idle speed has dropped to 850-900 and is a tiny bit rough, but have a service voucher so will get them to fix it up when i take it there.

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:23 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
As for cleaning the injectors, if you want to save a bit of money and learn a bit about injection at the same time, you can buy the kit from these guys:
https://www.aussiespeed.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=31

And there are heaps of videos on Youtube about how to do the cleaning using a syringe body, some throttle body cleaner and a 9-12V battery. I did this on the AU injectors I just put in my EF, and they work great. One note: fuel injectors have a shelf-life. If they have been out of a car - even after being cleaned - for weeks or months, they can seize, and may need to be re-serviced.

Cheers dude, I was lazy and just paid someone to clean and flow test them, he said they produced figures of new ones

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]