Fordmods Logo

3 inch or 2.5 exhaust on AU II XR8 220kw 

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

All things being equal I'll throw my hat in the ring for this one too.

In my opinon bigger is not always better extractors and big pipes
help clear away all those nasty gasses but engines also like some back pressure it helps gernerate more horses I learnt this from my old speedway days (go the hemi !!). Stick with sensible 2.5" pipes on autos sound good and work well with a sports muffler, free flowin' cats and straight 3" pipes won't.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:40 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

Bigger is not always better. I managed an exhaust shop in the ACT and we did a lot of experimenting with various exhaust configurations, dyno tuning every change. With pipe diameters you must remember, double the diameter equals 4 times the flow. We found that on standard to mild engines, with basic tri Y extractors fitted, that a well designed 3" single produced more horsepower and torque than a twin. This was put down to the scavaging effect of the collector pipe into the single 3", allowing the extractors to scavange each side of the engine, as the extractors are designed to do between cylinders. On the tuned length 4 into 1 extractors, a twin system was the go. One thing you must have however is a good fast flow through the system, which allows the exhaust to heat up more, and last longer. If the exhaust is too big, you'll pick it straight away by the black stain on the back bumper, just check out some of those 4 cylinder boom boxes with the 6" drain pipes out the back and look at the mess of the rear end.

Post subject: just me...
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 3 images

QLD, Australia

well i am even more confused... it seem's different stroke's for different folk's... i think i will go the twin 2.5 straight though with hi-flow cats... it is a mannal.. i want it sounding like a true windsor but not that loud that it atracks to much atension from the boy's in blue... i must likely getting it done this week.. so for those that are interested i will let you know the out come.... thanx everyone for there opinion...

Post subject: Re: 3 inch or 2.5 exhaust on AU II XR8 220kw
Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF XR8

QLD, Australia

iv got pacemaker comp headers on my 220 and duel 2.5 manta with 100cpsi cats sounds tough as I find it seems to have lost power in low rpm Im doing a few more mods then il get a sct flash tune then see how things go

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:45 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

xrome wrote:
iv got pacemaker comp headers on my 220 and duel 2.5 manta with 100cpsi cats sounds tough as I find it seems to have lost power in low rpm Im doing a few more mods then il get a sct flash tune then see how things go

Yes the 1 3/4" primaries are simply too big on those headers. You need at least another 50 cubes to make use of them or have much more high winding 302.

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU1 V8 UTE - Mod

NSW, Australia

my experience is ... save the coin and do it right the first time.

sounds like you could benefit from new headers ' Pacemakers' ... than cats, resonator and muffler.

on my ute ... im running Pacemaker Comp, tuned hi flow cats, merge into 3" single... than I ve got a mid hotdog resonator ending with a megnaflow hi flow muffler and it sounds tuff with no drone.

Though on a technical side, apparently a twin 2.5 exhaust will flow 1000 ccpm where the single 3" will flow 700 ccpm.

AU Ute ~ R350
347 ~ fordstroker(10:2.1) / TFS 190 heads / TFS R series 90 manifold / FTI custom cam / Accufab 85mm Race TB / Lightening 90mm MAF/ Bosch 36lb inject / MSD coil + leads / Comp Pacemakers + 3" exhaust / BA XR8 Premium brake pac /3.45 gears./ Pedders Xtreme coil overs / QH Tune

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2