Fordmods Logo

RD's EDL Hybrid Wagon 

Page 40 of 42 [ 617 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Post subject: Re: RD's EDL Hybrid Wagon
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

racedirector wrote:
Heres a question for the knowledgeable, how do you get the adjusting knobs off seats? The ones on Rachs old Fairmont seats are powdery and I want to swap the ones from my seats onto the Fairmont seats. Can't seem to get 'em off though.....

Cancel that, worked it out :) Changed the knobs and the base plastics from the EL GLi seats to the EF Fairmont seats to keep my EL grey theme going. Now just have to figure out how to get the EL GLi frames under the Fairmont seat stuff - the GLi seats have 2 lumber adjusters and the Mont seats only have 1.....

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

racedirector wrote:
Now just have to figure out how to get the EL GLi frames under the Fairmont seat stuff - the GLi seats have 2 lumber adjusters and the Mont seats only have 1.....
Me thinks you'll figure that one out as well . . . . . :idea:

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
racedirector wrote:
Now just have to figure out how to get the EL GLi frames under the Fairmont seat stuff - the GLi seats have 2 lumber adjusters and the Mont seats only have 1.....
Me thinks you'll figure that one out as well . . . . . :idea:

Ah, yup - plans are afoot :)

Now, actually did a couple of things to the ole girl today. Fitted the front & lower back seats from the Fairmont to the wagon. I also changed all the plastic bits for the EL grey from my GLi seats. The Fairy seats need a damn good clean, will hire a Rug Doctor and give them a birthday:

And this is all the EF plastic bits discarded...

I also stole the faux leather console lid from the EF, cleaned it up and installed.

I then changed my visors over to the NF Fairlane visors I got off Matt and while I was around the screen I installed an AU rear view mirror to see what it is like. Not the best condition mirror but it's just a test anyway.

The next task will be the rear seat backs. I am still deciding what to do in that area and the Fairy has a centre armrest and my GLi seats don't. That may mean I go with the changing the mounts route rather than the swap the fabrics over. I will bow to any higher power (snap? :)) that has any other suggestions/advice.

I am in the zone now and have LOTS of plans for the wagon. Some are very top secret :)

Cheers
RD

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Grab some el cheapo cable ties, and swap covers and cushions.

You can wash the covers, but use a gentle cycle, as the foam deteriorates, depending on it's condition.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Added another piece to my collection for addition to the wagon on the weekend. Picked up this little gem from PNP for the princely sum of $45.00:

I have to paint my tailgate anyway so this will just be added to the list when I get around to that.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:11 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

That's a good buy - would've been off that wagon near the fence.
The sideskirts were smashed on one side from memory.

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yup, thats the one. Had seen that wagon before but never looked at the tailgate. Was round at Bens on Saturday and he mentioned it had a wing so I went to PnP on the way home and scored it :) Correct also in the side skirt on the LH was smashed.....

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Howdy all

Thought I would check in having been away for a while. Not much has happened in the car department, been building CNC routers for the past little while, am currently on my 3rd machine, an 1200x2400 cutting area steel beast that is about 20% done.

Anyway, the Falcoons have just been ticking along, Rachs EL hasn't given a major problem since we bought it, only issue at the moment is to continually blow the door lock fuse. Cosmetically it needs help badly, paint is stuffed and the headliner is saggy but it goes and goes :)

My wagon seriously needs some TLC and no longer looks like it did 2 odd years ago however that may change soon.

We are buying Rach a little buzz bomb to go to work, something that that uses bugger all fuel. That will leave me with 2 cars, one to drive and one to...... well I'm not sure. Currently it has problems: Front bar mounts are broken, the ends keep sagging, putting stress in the remaining fixing points. Have already swapped the front bar when the other one fell off down at the shops :) The front discs as toast, shudders badly on braking once the discs get warm. The auto will slip between 2nd and third when it get warm. The rear springs have been my pet hate for a long while, they need replacing with something better and finally, it does weird things sometimes when initially starting it, the radio/windows will not work unless I bash the dash just by the left side of the column, I suspect the BBM. So, my options for the wagon, as I see them, are....

1. Deregister it (due in a month anyway) and get rid of it.
2. Keep it, clean things up and put in a 5 speed (have some bits already, just missing the main bit :))
3. Swap the EL hybrid for an AU VCT along with the 5 speed
4 Go all out (again!), install AU front and rear suspension along with an engine/trans change above plus redo the interior with something different.

Anyhoo, Just thought I would drop by, catch ya all on the flip side...

Cheers
RD

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hello my Friend!!!!!

Good do hear from you.

I am currently in the USA, but should be able to help with the spring issues.

Will be back home from 4 March, so get in touch.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey Ben!

Enjoy the US buddy, will get in touch in March.

Thought I would see what sort of price Pedders would do a 2" lowered spring set for and almost fell off my chair. Was quoted $595 fitted plus bushes and u-bolts if needed. Would be cheaper to put an AU IRS in the back :)

Whatever I end up doing in the backend, it will need to be able to pass a NSW blue slip, the WA rego is getting cancelled when it runs out.

Also, after mulling over the options above I have decided to keep the EL Hybrid but try and go manual if I can find a T5. Will also fit the EF/EL standard rockers, E series XR6 cam, 300kpa fuel reg and extractors. A T5 would still be engine out but would give me a chance to fix a few other things while the engine wasn't in there.

Body wise I am thinking about some sort of body kit (would fix my front bar issue), new 17" wheels of some kind, paint to fix the mismatch in colours (remember I have some EL body bits on this thing), fit the XR6 rear wing I have had for donkey's years etc plus whatever else I need.

Interior wise I might look into AU stuff (seats, centre console etc) as the EF/EL stuff I have at the moment is pretty tired. Also wouldn't mind leather if I can find some.

And lastly, also in the engine department, I might look into LPG injection while the engine is out. I already have a 70l donut tank hat only needs a recheck (is still full of 70L of LPG!)

Current brain dump finished now :)

Cheers
RD

Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

racedirector wrote:
I already have a 70l donut tank hat only needs a recheck (is still full of 70L of LPG!)
Check Bruce whether it'll fit - E wagons run the 3 scuba tank setup, or less common, a barrel style with half petrol tank. the donut I think is for a sedan, or maybe AU/BA wagons.

Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
racedirector wrote:
I already have a 70l donut tank hat only needs a recheck (is still full of 70L of LPG!)
Check Bruce whether it'll fit - E wagons run the 3 scuba tank setup, or less common, a barrel style with half petrol tank. the donut I think is for a sedan, or maybe AU/BA wagons.

Hi matey

The donut was originally in my very first EB wagon, I also have the steel mount for it that fits into where our spare wheel is. A hole is cut in the side of the depression to run the wiring and lines through. Somewhere around I also have the spare wheel stand... just gotta find it :)

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Haven't been around for a while as nothing much has happened to either Ford. As mentioned previously I ended up with 2 cars as we bought Rach a buzz bomb. I started to drive around in the EL car but found I needed a wagon more so just sold that.

Went and bought some maintenance style bits with the money and was on my way to buy some trans fluid in my wagon when this idiot in a truck decided to back up at the stop light. I lent on the horn but he claimed he didn't hear it. This was the result:

Attachment:
Truck-Damage-1.jpg

Attachment:
Truck-Damage-2.jpg

The bonnet needed the clear redoing but this as sort of changed things.

Mr Truckie is of course going to pay for the fix and is offering $400 for the damage. Pick n Payless have a couple of Cardinal Red ED's, they want $75.00 for a bonnet. Was going to grab a bumper as well as mine is now damaged as well as a result of Mr Truckie, PnP want $80.00 for one of those. I'm going to cruise over to Pick N Pull in Powers Road tomorrow to see what they have and to compare prices.

Pain in the butt really.....

Cheers
RD

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hiya RD

Want a special bonnet?

Is black however.

At least he is going to cover the repair costs mate.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey Ben

Thanks but no thanks on the special bonnet :) Not doing anything special to the wags, its just for getting me round and teaching Dee to drive in.

Yea, he offered the $400 straight off. Just got to collect it from him.....

Cheers
RD

Sort by  
 Page 40 of 42  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next