Fordmods Logo

Luke's EB XR6 + 07 BFII XR6T 

Page 21 of 23 [ 334 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post subject: Re: Luke's EB XR6 - Officially Been J3'd
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If you getting metal in the oil its going through the bearings and everything.
Put a good magnet on the side of the oil filter to keep them in there.
Filtermag are good but a bit expensive , but much cheaper then a new motor.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EBII, XR6

NSW, Australia

Matt_jew wrote:
If you getting metal in the oil its going through the bearings and everything.
Put a good magnet on the side of the oil filter to keep them in there.
Filtermag are good but a bit expensive , but much cheaper then a new motor.

Cheers Matt I'll look into the filtermag but a magnet inside the filter is a great idea, will be changing the filter again next week!

Weekender: 07 BFII XR6T - Conquer
Retired: 1992 EBII SXR6 - Black Pearl

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Have flushed the oil 3-4 times now and changed the filter twice and there wasn't any metal particles the second flush so I might be lucky...
Fingers crossed!

But the EBs going awesome atm, feels good to drive it properly again!

Just got back from a trip to Melbourne where I took the AU and damn did it do well!

Managed to get the fuel consumption as low as 8.6 leaving Melbourne til about Gundagai where it started to get hilly and then it held 9.5 til I got home.

Trip meter reckons it would've done 900km on the one tank :shock: but I filled it up after 700kms of driving just to be safe.

Was a good trip however I'm a bit iffy about those average speed cameras now as there is no signage or anything and I don't think I was sitting exactly on 110... :S

Ah well see what happens!

Hope everybody had a great Christmas and have a happy new year :)

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AU II XR6 UTE

Luke, hows the EB going...? Specifically the J3?

Thinking about getting one soon after the i get the reground cam in. Hey do j3 chips actually increase performance regardless of mods? I might have missed it but how much was the j3 all up? Did you go stage 2? ...........Also, do you have a cam in your's?

(as you may realise, I've got myself an AU 5 speed. 8-) ) Good fun ay!

2001 AU II XR6 HP LIQUID SILVER UTE

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

drewh wrote:
Luke, hows the EB going...? Specifically the J3?

Thinking about getting one soon after the i get the reground cam in. Hey do j3 chips actually increase performance regardless of mods? I might have missed it but how much was the j3 all up? Did you go stage 2? ...........Also, do you have a cam in your's?

(as you may realise, I've got myself an AU 5 speed. 8-) ) Good fun ay!

Yeah it was going really well, done a few long drives in it and its driven flawlessly!

Just every now and then when I give it some stick the belts come off (but the balancers new lol?) so somethings up with it as per usual hahaha :evil:

Honestly, the J3 has been awesome despite the EB only having very basic mods! It actually surprised me at how much different it made the car drive. Dad owned this car for about 10 years before myself and even he was shocked at how much better it went with the J3!

The most notable differences with the J3 would be the way it holds 1st gear a bit longer before changing up (because slushboxauto) and the shifts are a lot firmer.

It also pulls from about 2300RPM all the way til about 4500RPM despite it having only the ticky cam in it and people always notice the pull when accelerating hard...
And it revs out nicer with much more throttle response!

It uses less fuel then it previously did (approximately 400km to 45L of 98 and I don't really baby it either)

And I think this is just because of the EL ECU but it idles so much smoother then it ever has before!

Its made the car a lot more fun to drive and as it is, I don't really feel the need to convert it to manual (hence why I haven't) but If I don't buy another car soon I probably will..

Definitely worth it in my humble opinion, especially if you've done all the basic mods and have run out of performance things to do to it without going the full dyno tune route.

I didn't dyno tune mine so I'm not sure on power figures but I'd definitely say it has made an increase in power and acceleration as its surprised a few people at the lights...

I can't exactly remember what mine cost as TI-Performance were having a sale when I bought mine but from memory they're around the $200 mark for a mail order tuned stage 2 chip and express post...

Thats awesome dude!!
How are you finding it?
I know this is a wanky question, but what type of fuel consumption are you getting out of it?

I'm still on the lookout for an AUII/III XR6 but there isn't many decent ones around unfortunately :(

Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:58 pm 
Smokin em up

Yep. Pretty keen on getting one soon. At $200, thats really not too bad is it? Will be heaps more practical for me as we don't have many (if any) within 2-4 hours from where I live. I don't really wan't to get involved in numerous tunes, dyno runs, etc. Im just thinking of getting a mild cam + usual mods so big tunes also aren't really necessary.

As for the AU, I highly recommended them - especially for a daily. Comfort and ride quality is one big step up from the EL. And you often find people will prefer the comfort and ride over B Series and FG's. But hey if you decide you want one, don't get an auto : :roll: Everyone says they are terribly slow compared to manual. Find a decent well looked after one and you can be guaranteed a relatively trouble free reliable daily with excellent response to mild mods.

Re fuel consumption. I let it run pretty low (DTE said 7km - not v. accurate) the other day because we went on the long trip and filled her up the next day. But i pull 700km exactly, from approx 61L. I try to baby it around town for the purpose of getting good fuel eco but i have occasional urge to give her a push sometimes :). I don't live in the city, but i have only given it 3 full tanks in 3 months (used one tank in one week cus i did about 7 hours worth of hwy driving).

True about the rarity of AU xr's. Even Im not 100% satisfied with my purchase but it was the best i could do. Spending about $1000 to get my paint work fixed up, plus i have to fork out for all my aesthetic and performance mods (i.e. the previous owner left it totally stock. Even the head unit wasn't working!).

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

drewh wrote:
Yep. Pretty keen on getting one soon. At $200, thats really not too bad is it? Will be heaps more practical for me as we don't have many (if any) within 2-4 hours from where I live. I don't really wan't to get involved in numerous tunes, dyno runs, etc. Im just thinking of getting a mild cam + usual mods so big tunes also aren't really necessary.

As for the AU, I highly recommended them - especially for a daily. Comfort and ride quality is one big step up from the EL. And you often find people will prefer the comfort and ride over B Series and FG's. But hey if you decide you want one, don't get an auto : :roll: Everyone says they are terribly slow compared to manual. Find a decent well looked after one and you can be guaranteed a relatively trouble free reliable daily with excellent response to mild mods.

Re fuel consumption. I let it run pretty low (DTE said 7km - not v. accurate) the other day because we went on the long trip and filled her up the next day. But i pull 700km exactly, from approx 61L. I try to baby it around town for the purpose of getting good fuel eco but i have occasional urge to give her a push sometimes :). I don't live in the city, but i have only given it 3 full tanks in 3 months (used one tank in one week cus i did about 7 hours worth of hwy driving).

True about the rarity of AU xr's. Even Im not 100% satisfied with my purchase but it was the best i could do. Spending about $1000 to get my paint work fixed up, plus i have to fork out for all my aesthetic and performance mods (i.e. the previous owner left it totally stock. Even the head unit wasn't working!).

There's been a few pop up around here lately, one of which I've gone to look at only because its local but unfortunately its red and red paint doesn't cope too well in the sun if its not looked after so it has a bit of paint fade etc..

I've decided to try and save up enough to buy an XR6 ST when a decent one pops up again.

Thanks for all that helpful info btw!

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Not a lot to update on the EB, its still going and driving well.
Just putting the 15s back on tomorrow and might give it a bit of a tidy up but thats about it.

The old man recently bought this but:

07 model BFII XR8
Has the luxo pack, 6spd auto and only has 95K kms

Its merely a "weekend toy" as he catches the bus to work each day.

It already has a decent exhaust on it so his plans are basically just to lower it a bit and stick the right size rubber underneath it as the previous owner only put 235s on it, its meant to have 245s...
A CAI and tune might be on the cards if I can convince him :twisted:

For what he paid its actually a decent bit of gear and I was quite amazed at how well it goes :shock:

We looked at a BFII GT, BF GT, FG XR8, G6E turbo, Manual BAII XR8, Manual FG XR6T and another BF XR8 and he instantaneously fell in love with the idea of a V8.

After some research however the XR8 turned out to be the cheapest to insure/register so he went for that.

You always read up about people talking up the ZF 6Speed but its not until you actually drive one or passenger in one that you realise how smooth and awesome to drive they really are.

Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:11 pm 
Smokin em up

Nice car for your old man. Nice low km too..That colour goes extremely well with BF's i reckon..? Seen some BF f6's in that colour and they shined up brilliant!

Ive driven my boss's G6E and the zf was smooth shifting, but moving into gear was real jerky and kind of clunky! Is that normal? Keep in mind he bought is second hand and it has well over 200,000km!!

my other boss (brothers) owns a FG g6e turbo and a FG xr6 turbo luxury pack ute! lucky begger... :x

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

drewh wrote:
Nice car for your old man. Nice low km too..That colour goes extremely well with BF's i reckon..? Seen some BF f6's in that colour and they shined up brilliant!

Ive driven my boss's G6E and the zf was smooth shifting, but moving into gear was real jerky and kind of clunky! Is that normal? Keep in mind he bought is second hand and it has well over 200,000km!!

my other boss (brothers) owns a FG g6e turbo and a FG xr6 turbo luxury pack ute! lucky begger... :x

Cheers mate, he's thrilled with it!

Its got new bushes and been lowered all round now so it sits nice and handles really well!

Mhm thats odd, the ZF in this shifts perfectly! It hasn't even been serviced yet as it still has the plastic pan (next thing on dads list).

My boss just picked up a brand new VF SSV redline and this thing didn't really do it for me. They're so quiet from factory and to be perfectly honest the BF XR8 would probably be neck and neck with it to 100km/h. The VF is just lighter I think so it drives a bit nicer.

Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Epic but not very entertaining update because I'm procrastinating from studying lol :lol:

The EB is still kicking, so thats a positive!

The only problems its sustained over the past 3-4 months is front right brake caliper seizing and the front left wheel bearing needing to be replaced twice.

I only noticed the brake caliper being seized when I was swapping back the stock wheels onto the car. Noticed that the brake pad was near gone on the drivers side but about 50-60% on the passenger side :S
The fix for this was grabbing a second hand caliper off a low km EB from the wreckers. The discs are still fine thankfully and it doesn't have any brake shudder.

The wheel bearing went about 2 months ago so I bought two at the time as RIPCO had a sale on. Last week it started making the same wheel bearing noise :evil:
After some reading it seems a lot of people have issues with RIPCO wheel bearings however I already have another kit so I'll just use that for now.

Anyway this year I think I've only spent about $400 on maintenance and repairs (including two tyres) so I'm pretty happy with that!

I also sold the AJR copies for almost as much as I purchased them for and considering I drove with them for over a year so win win 8-)

Well regos due early December and I'd rather buy something newer then renew it. I'd like to not get rid of it but if I can't find somewhere to store it then I'll have to make a decision.

I'll try and keep this updated a bit better in the future!

Cheers,
Luke

Post subject: Luke's EB XR6 - Featuring New Rims
Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I thought I should update this thread with a minor mod or improvement I've made to the EB.

Bit of an impulse buy, but back in August last year a set of brand new imitation EL GT wheels came up on ebay with a low starting bid. With a few hours to go the price was still very low so I placed a bid and to much amazement I had won them :shock:
I've always loved these wheels so I thought they could sit around until I either sell them or use them one day.

Anyway I got a flat tyre during the week which was okay because both rear tyres needed replacing anyway :twisted:

However I decided to get some tyres for the EL GT rims and throw them on the EB because ironically 17" tyres are a tad cheaper then decent 15" tyres these days.

Ended up getting 235/45/17 for the front and 255/40/17 for the rear, I reckon I could get a 265 on the back easily 8-)

Anyway pics:

They make her look a bit neater at least!

Anyway besides tyres, rego/insurance and a bottom radiator hose I have not had to spend a cent on her since my last update back in June 2013 (approximately 8 months ago) which is half the reason why I just renewed the rego. *Touches wood*

However it needs the shocks done, front right caliper has something funny going on because the pads almost worn again and I think the muffler has a hole in it.

It will need new pads and rotors front and rear and the rear windscreen tint is starting to bubble and the faded paint is getting worse and I miss airconditioning.

If something breaks and isn't cheap to fix, it isn't getting fixed, simple as that.

I've looked at a few AUs over the last 6 months but they all either have bad paint, lots of minor issues or the seller wants too much :x

Contemplating a B series 8-)

Post subject: Re: Luke's EB XR6 - Now Sporting New Wheels
Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:43 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BF XR6 Mk2, ED Gli

VIC, Australia

man this looks good in black with the el gt's

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

critta260 wrote:
man this looks good in black with the el gt's

Thanks mate!

Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Got the windows tinted over the weekend, should've done this 4 years ago lol...

As can be seen its super dirty at the moment, have been doing a lot of driving in it lately on both sealed and unsealed roads not to mention the shocking weather we've had in Sydney over the last few weeks!

Also still looking at upgrading but still nothing has tickled my fancy as of yet...

Sort by  
 Page 21 of 23  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next