ef fuel pump problems 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:53 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

this happened to me as well but it was because of a fuel pump. put ur key to start but do not start the engine. and then go to ur boot and tap the lid where the wires are with something when it starts buzzing its ur fuel pump, if it isnt then its ur relay. If u have someone with u, one of u turn the key and the other tap on the fuel pump cover.

if its a relay thats easy, if its the pump ur going to have fun.

hope that helped a little

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Easiest way to test it on your own is to earth the top right terminal of the diagnosis connector, turn on ignition. The fuel pump should run continuously with the engine not running.
This way you can check for 12v at the pump connectors, and if no power, you can then check 'upstream' in he wiring diagram.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

where is the relay for the fuel pump located???

Post subject: Re: ef fuel pump problems
Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: fairlane ghia

SA, Australia

hi there im a new user and have a similar problem... except we have checked all the above probles eg relays, fuses, and wiring. the thing i did was run a wire to the battery to see if the pump still works and it does... just the next stage i dunno where to go from here - the car is a EF fairmont ghia 5.0L

i personally own a 97 NL fairlane ghia 4.0L and if i have issues i will be asking :) thank you for any replies and ideas

regards

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:42 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: ford ef2 xr6

VIC, Australia

fuel pump relay on ef falcon is located under the header(coolant tank).Fuel pump relay is the green relay,the brown one is the ecu relay.To access these relays,simply undo the 3 bolts holding the header tank in place(no need to undo any coolant hoses),and move header tank out of way,then undo the one screw retaining the relay cover.

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: eb wagon

VIC, Australia

Just like to thank the people that have put posts on here as it helped me get my wifes car going which i9s an ef falcon. fuel pump died yesterday thought it was the relay got a new relay thismorning put it in connected up the hoses and put the retaining platic nut back on and tightened up seen if it would pump fuel with the ignition on and my wife said it gurgled so she now has her car back. so the best way i found is to use a test light to see if you get power to you fuel pump sockect just want to say thanks for the posts once again.

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XH Ute

NSW, Australia

Reviving an old thread to say thanks to the contributors. Just had to replace a relay and pump in quick succession on my XH with no prior experience - the internet is a wonderful thing

The only thing I would add to the good advice here is
- I made up a wire to jump the connections (I copied this http://members.rennlist.com/v1uhoh/jumping.htm) under the relay - this tip not only confirmed a dead relay, but also meant I could start and move when necessary while waiting for a relay to arrive
- the colour and position of the relay don't seem to be consistent (mine was green and located closest to the engine, but I read it should be green and in the middle - the replacement is a grey colour and eBay assures me it is a direct replacement and it works)
- a replacement is impossible to find through retail and wreckers seem to want more for a used one than eBay does for a new one.

Anyway - thanks again

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2