EL Rubber Window Surrounds 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: EL Rubber Window Surrounds
Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL XR6

New Zealand

Hi All,

I have an EL XR6, The rubbers around the windows, side windows and rear windscreen have patches where the shiny surface has been worn through, I suspect the previous owner had a go at buffing the panels and run over the rubbers with the buff. I suppose the question is: how hard are these rubbers to change? I have thought of painting them but I don't think the paint would cover the cracked surface areas around the patches very well (I don't think they would feather in properly), and if they do, I doubt the finish would last being on rubber. Is there hope or is this something I will just have to bear?

Post subject: Re: EL Rubber Window Surrounds
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1996 ford ef falcon

SA, Australia

How bad is it really, Is it leaking?
can you provide some pics?

also i have no clue if you can just change them or if the whole door has to be replaced.

Ford--worth fixing!

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:49 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

q4short wrote:
Hi All,

I have an EL XR6, The rubbers around the windows, side windows and rear windscreen have patches where the shiny surface has been worn through, I suspect the previous owner had a go at buffing the panels and run over the rubbers with the buff. I suppose the question is: how hard are these rubbers to change? I have thought of painting them but I don't think the paint would cover the cracked surface areas around the patches very well (I don't think they would feather in properly), and if they do, I doubt the finish would last being on rubber. Is there hope or is this something I will just have to bear?

Pretty much standard issue on an E series. Some that have been garaged make it through but most end up like that. If you are really anal about it, check the link below.

documents.php?d=20

Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:04 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL XR6

New Zealand

Thanks for the replies fellas,

Ford4EFer, they aren't leaking, they're just ugly, the kind of glossy surface has cracked and worn off in places and looks patchy.

SWC, cheers for the link, theres hope yet. I've flat blacked the 'pink stripe' already so I'll do the same with the window plastics.

The previous owner said it had never been repainted but after a couple of washes and a closer look... I'm not so convinced. I bought it off a car salesman for a Mitsi dealership.

To be honest it was looked after and was completely original down to the tapedeck.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]