Fordmods Logo

turbo wills new boosted ef project now 12.10@126.5mph 

Page 11 of 14 [ 199 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post subject: Re: turbo wills new boosted ef project now 12.10@126.5mph
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

it really goes to show.. it really is all about the tune.. I would never have imagined that a stock bottom end could handle 400rwkw.. or that it would finally blow at 430rwkw

makes me wonder how much better the rods are in my BA than an EF. (because people keep telling me the rods in BA's are not great compared to BF2's)

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:20 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
it really goes to show.. it really is all about the tune.. I would never have imagined that a stock bottom end could handle 400rwkw.. or that it would finally blow at 430rwkw

makes me wonder how much better the rods are in my BA than an EF. (because people keep telling me the rods in BA's are not great compared to BF2's)

well the thing is the ef rods are stronger than the au/ba/bf rods..

400rwkw a good number for a std bottom end but as you can see, hand grenades many times over..

a proper built bottom end will take that 400+rwkw.. and stay pretty reliable..

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yeah.. point taken.. I wonder why ford went backwards with the rods .. cost I suppose.

I can pick up complete BF engines dirt cheap from a guy I know.. so if mine hand grenades with the 15PSI it's getting I'll just grab a new motor and swap it in.. So far so good though.. admittedly I don't rev the ring out much so I don't imagine I've reached 15psi yet.

In 3 weeks I'll be running JTG liquid gas so the higher compression of a NA engine shouldn't make much difference other needing the tune adjusted.

Or I'll buy the scatt rods I've been eyeing off for months and some nispro springs and build something "special"..

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

frankieh wrote:

I am fairly certain BA turbos were built with carrillo gear. Stronger than stock. Then in BF2 they moved up again to the typhoon internals.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
frankieh wrote:

I am fairly certain BA turbos were built with carrillo gear. Stronger than stock. Then in BF2 they moved up again to the typhoon internals.

I hope that is true.. I had been of the understanding that other than dished pistons with floating pins that the BA turbo was the same as a NA BA engine.

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

There's a mechanic on Pakington street here in Geelong that worked at the engine plant here in Geelong when they were developing them. He is adamant that final production motors had Carrillo rods in the bottom end.

He was the one that swayed me towards the B series turbo six over the low k's s3 AU xr8.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:02 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: turbo falcon

SA, Australia

Both ba n/a and turbo have bendy rods, they are piss weak compared to eseries but with good tuning most say they are ok at around 300kw.

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Is that because they changed the rod length from 5.88" to 6.0" when they went from the e series to AU? All in the pursuit of smoothness and refinement I assume.

Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

turbo_will wrote:
Both ba n/a and turbo have bendy rods, they are piss weak compared to eseries but with good tuning most say they are ok at around 300kw.

yeah, thats what I thought.. trying to decide if i want to just pick up a BF2 motor cheap and wack it in.. (I'll be running liquid LPG so compression probably not an issue) or buy some scat rods and put them in my existing motor... Putting a BF2 motor in is a way cheap option and faster turn around too, but putting scat rods in my BA will make the stronger engine, but it would be silly not to put new rings and bearings in while it's apart so it would take way longer and cost more money too.

What I can't figure out is why they swapped to floating pins for the turbo rods, thereby making the rods incompatible with NA ones.. Do the turbo's put loads more stress on the pins or something?

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:55 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

So this car will be coming back from the dead! Really missed driving it so figured why not hey. Have to start again from scratch as prity much everything was sold. Bought a ba non turbo motor for $200, something different to mess with. It wont be as mental as last build, stock valve springs probably only good for 10psi anyway. Aiming to keep it more reliable than last build don't have time these days to continually fix breakages. Ill be using a Btr auto and TI J3 etc again, all turbo gear will come from my project VT once I finally get to run it at the drags again.

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:26 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Picked up the BA motor, its complete except power steering pump and alternator. Made up my own brackets using intake manifold brace bars to use the e series pump/alt and chopped up an e series belt tensioner to use the idler pulley to help delete AC. Will need to find a 6pk1930 belt from some were if my measurements are correct. Got the trans bolted up too.

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

It begins... again! Love your work :)

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:56 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Thanks man, ill have to grab another chip of you soon too.

Redone belt setup much better.

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:17 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

Got started by sanding and painting the old engine bay, 5 rattle cans later my trigger finger was killing me haha. Looks a bit better than before. I also p****d off the a/c setup and got rid of the condenser in an effort to get more air flow to the radiator.

Then I removed the ba wiring loom from the engine and fit the ef loom using the ba cas plug. Took the rocker cover off and set the cam gears 1 tooth retarded which will put them at 3.5d retarded and as close to zero without adjustable cam gears. White marks on the chain are factory settings.

Then the old blown up motor was removed, the ef mounts fitted to the ba motor, cut and modified the kframe.

Hooked up loom, map sensor, fuel lines and ef coilpack. Started first go and seems to run ok!

Need to redo power steering pump brackets so its supported better the alloy mount snapped off first start haha thought it was a bit to thin oh well at least its running already.

Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:12 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

As usual its the little things that soak up a lot of time. Spend all day and only got tail shaft in, radiator and fans in, made a new alternator support to clear the new ba power steer pump, fit and re-bent ba power steer hose, fit a new neutral start switch to auto, fit and mounted throttle cable, made a braket for ef coilpack and messed around trying to get the bbm vac setup for butterflys working again. Chucked the wideband in and its super lean with the leftover e85 in the tank, idles at 17-18afr very rough and is way too lean with any throttle under load. At least it moves back and forward now. A mate is going to have a crack at racing this in oct 19th street meet just n/a maybe nitrous if time allows as ill be racing the vt again.

Sort by  
 Page 11 of 14  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next