Fordmods Logo

EF going lean at random, Ideas? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: EF going lean at random, Ideas?
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:41 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Hi guys

Got this issue which has just started in the last week or so.
Happens mostly when idling at the lights, but occasionally also when cruising at say 50km/h.

After say 20 seconds or so AFR starts to climb, and keeps climbing.
Giving the throttle a stab brings it back to normal, but then it climbs again.

Has caught me out a couple of times at the lights when I go to take off and it just stalls.
When this happens it takes about 10 seconds of cranking to fire it up again, and by then the bloody light has gone red again. Rather embarrassing to say the least.

Runs normal otherwise, no issues at WOT.

I'm leaning towards a fuel pump problem maybe? My reason for this is that at idle the fuel pump would be under the most load with almost all fuel being supplied going through the reg and back to the tank. The pump is a Walbro and about 12 months old.

Anyone come across a similar problem?

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Post subject: Re: EF going lean at random, Ideas?
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:04 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Fairmont EL

WA, Australia

Since this is happening while the ECU would have you running in closed loop, maybe your HEGO sensor is this issue? If it was mine I'd check fuel pressure first - maybe the reg is on the way out and intermittently allowing fuel pressure to drop, also causing hard starting.

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

sellery wrote:
Since this is happening while the ECU would have you running in closed loop, maybe your HEGO sensor is this issue? If it was mine I'd check fuel pressure first - maybe the reg is on the way out and intermittently allowing fuel pressure to drop, also causing hard starting.

I was going to suggest the o2 sensor as well. Idle or cruise could be all thats affected (lean cruise)

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:57 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Using simulated narrow band from the wideband controller for o2 input.
Checked the voltage output yesterday just in case, all is good.
Took a bit of cranking to start from cold yesterday, never done that before.
Pump seems ok.
Maybe reg, or an injector. Dunno.
But yes, closed loop mode is when it happens, runs fine at cold startup and WOT.

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

You could disconnect the NBsim from the ECU - forcing permanent open loop operation - reset the ECU, and see if the problem goes away. If it does, the problem is likely electronic, not fuel system. Is the NBsim configured correctly (in WBUtil, from memory)? Could it somehow be telling the ECU that it's running richer than it actually is? That would cause the ECU to keep leaning out in closed loop.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Checked nbsim voltage, output is correct.

Will try with it disconnected and ecu reset.

Had been running sweet on that tune for 2 weeks too.
Stupid car.

But yeah, I'm kind of leaning towards it being elec. problem.
Might check temp sensors too when I get home.

Cheers.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:25 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

I've had the exact same problem by the sounds of it. Not sure what happened but it doesn't seem to do it anymore, haven't noticed it for a while. I noticed that high current draw would make it happen more frequently ie ac on (fans), speakers up loud, or high beams. Does that happen to you? It used to lean out to like 20:1 and stay there untill i stabbed the throttle. I basically gave up had no idea what it was. Also like you if I stall my car, it doesn't like it and sits there cranking for ages. Normally it starts very quickly.

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:12 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

shyun wrote:
I've had the exact same problem by the sounds of it. Not sure what happened but it doesn't seem to do it anymore, haven't noticed it for a while. I noticed that high current draw would make it happen more frequently ie ac on (fans), speakers up loud, or high beams. Does that happen to you? It used to lean out to like 20:1 and stay there untill i stabbed the throttle. I basically gave up had no idea what it was. Also like you if I stall my car, it doesn't like it and sits there cranking for ages. Normally it starts very quickly.

Interesting.
My battery is getting tired. Still starts the car, but if left more than a day only just.
Idle is starting to play up too now.
Might get a new battery on the way home from work and see what happens. Can't hurt to try I guess. Need one anyway.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]