Problem removing 5th gear in T5 gearbox 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Problem removing 5th gear in T5 gearbox
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

I'm rebuilding a T5Z gearbox at present and I can't remove the 5th gear, even with my 12 ton press. Unfortunately, it's jammed and a workshop today couldn't get it to move with some heat and their shop press. Has anyone had this happen before? Do I need to use a 20 or 40 ton press? One guy thinks some burrs from the snap ring slot have caused it to jam.

If I cut it off does anyone have a spare one they want to sell?

Attachments:
File comment: jammed 5th gear
P160414_1916.jpg
P160414_1916.jpg [ 165.64 KiB | Viewed 202 times ]

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Post subject: Re: Problem removing 5th gear in T5 gearbox
Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:34 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

You're only removing it to replace the main bearing ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
You're only removing it to replace the main bearing ??

Yes, and the synchros? behind it. The input and output shafts had excessive freeplay. I can order another one from the US but that will take at least 2 weeks to get here.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:23 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Looks like a usual spline setup - tried cleaning the snap ring area with a dremel ? Inspect the splines too.
12 ton should move it you'd think.

I've got a couple of old EA (non WC) mainshafts here - all the mainshaft gears are same as WC mainshafts, it's the countergear gears that gives the different ratios - not sure about the later ones.

Need to do a count of teeth to see if the 5th gear matchs up - obviously you need to sort out why your existing gear isn't coming off, as getting another one on may have the same problem.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The gear is now stuck tight and it won't move either way. :x
I'm concerned that if I use more force to press the gear off, the splines and gear may be damaged. If I try cutting the gear off with a grinder & Dremel, the splines might be damaged. And, the gear has a blue tinge after the workshop heated it up.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

as a last resort try hitting it with a hammer and punch to try shock it, if its been heated and not moved and then cooled, it will probably be stuck to the shaft even further. Spray a heap of CRC / WD 40 and try knock it back on with hammer and punch

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I tried a chisel and hammer already but nothing moved. Looks like the gear has to be cut off.

I've just bought two T5 boxes in pieces off eBay to source some parts as I want to get the ute on the road ASAP. Oh well, something to do over the next week I'm off work... :)

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

where abouts in Melbourne are you? I have a t5 sitting at the mother inlaws that I haven't got around to rebuilding yet.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
The input and output shafts had excessive freeplay.
Really bad ? The I/P and O/P shafts usually do anyway.
Shortshift wrote:
If I try cutting the gear off with a grinder & Dremel, the splines might be damaged. And, the gear has a blue tinge after the workshop heated it up.
The heat may've affected the hardness. You can run a grinder cutting disc (try a 1.2mm thick one) in a groove between teeth, carefully cut down til you're near spline thickness, use a chisel in the cut to split or expand it. You may need to do same on the other side.
Do a teeth count so you know the spare 5th gears are compatible - if the box you've got is an AU one, the mainshaft I think will be longer than an earlier one, so try not to damage it.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

@ ranga83 - I've purchased a dismantled V8 T5Z and 4.0L WC T5 box already but thanks for the offer. Have to pick them up on Sunday.

@snap0964 -

I just received a master overhaul kit from The Gearbox in the US and plan to do a proper rebuild. The input shaft had that much movement in the box, it's a wonder no teeth were broken off inside. The box is stripped down to a bare case now. Even the reverse idler had chipped teeth (from a poorly adjusted clutch I think) by previous owner. It's a 31T 5th gear which I presume is a 0.73 ratio. Yes, it's an AU V8 box I've go so I'll probably cut the 5th gear off now (very carefully).

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I would be interested in the WC box if you want to part with it when you have finished with it

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ranga83 wrote:
I would be interested in the WC box if you want to part with it when you have finished with it

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. I haven't found anyone who wants to sell individual parts secondhand in Australia. Even the wreckers only want to sell the gears, etc new (which are overpriced IMO).

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:43 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yes, everything is overpriced in Oz - gears and bearings, so buying in the states is a good call.
Buying unfinished rebuilds for spares is a good call as well.

You can clean up burrs, etc off hardened metal, like gears with a sharpening stone. Brass Synchro rings can use fine files - the reverse brake synchro will most likely have burrs a plenty - the teeth won't be triangular any more :( You can use a spare 5th gear synchro instead.

Not sure if the later fibre lined synchro rings are better than plain brass in terms of shift quality.

You'll be surprised how much better they shift when you've cleaned them up in those areas - you just can't get that sorted only with better oils, etc.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]