Fordmods Logo

Timing chain tensioner pulldown and reasembly discussion. 

Page 3 of 4 [ 46 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Timing chain tensioner pulldown and reasembly discussion.
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

Lowlane7 wrote:
Thats f**k genius!

I know right!!

roughredXR6 wrote:
Falcon96XR6 wrote:
Well depending on price im interested still :twisted:

Right'o, will make another one when I get a chance.

Seems to be doing the job quite nicely. Just went for a 20km run with multiple 6000rpm+ pulls, all good.
Left the chain a bit loose just to see how it sounded.
Much quieter than before.
Still a slight rattle so I'll wind it in a bit more tomorrow and see how she goes.
Best thing is I can get to it without pulling anything off. :D

Thats great, im keen as, will be alot easier.. even cam swaps.. just back the tensioner off half a turn or a full turn, then happy days lol.

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:11 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Too true. Didn't think of it like that.
Because it's not spring loaded, would make cam swaps etc much easier. No more pulling power steering pump and brackets off, belt can stay on.
Happy days :mrgreen:

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Happy days is too true :wink: a great way to get rid of Fords PITA tensioner ahah,

If you plan on making a few ill let a few mates who have Eseries know, they may be keen as theyre constantly swapping cams etc lol.. pm me a price you reckon and we'll go from there mate.

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Main thing will be the science of exact distances to wind it in or out, maybe a specifically lengthed thread and washers with the "kit"?

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:06 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Lowlane7 wrote:
Main thing will be the science of exact distances to wind it in or out, maybe a specifically lengthed thread and washers with the "kit"?

Every engine would be different, think how much adjustment the factory tensioner has. Washers would not be a good idea because there is no preload on the tensioner.

Also I made this for an engine with a full race spec cam and springs. The idea wasn't to make it quiet, but to stop the chain coming loose as the rockers pushed the cam around on the back of the lobes, I'm talking 4-6º rotation and a chain rattle you could hear 2 blocks away. It sounded like a jack hammer on steroids.

Adjustment is simple enough. First time setup is a matter of removing the rocker cover and physically feeling the chain tension.

As things wear it will develop a rattle, so you just wind it in a bit.

Also because it's external, you can adjust it with the engine running if you want.

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Holy s**t! Lol @Jackhammer timing..

It will probably wear a little faster and need adjusting often then I guess?

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: AU 2

VIC, Australia

I had a leak around the tensioner,

i just backed out the outer part (2pin part) with multigrips about 3-4 mm and filled the gap with gasket goop asd i rotated it back in, then tightened.

I would have got the o rings but its easter weekend and i dont want to wait till tuesday for the ford dealer to be open.

My only concern is if the tensioner would ratchet out as i backed it off???.. thus over tightening the chain when i did it up.. I really dont know how they operate.. however i didnt hear any clicks in the process..

Any advice is appreciated, thanks

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:36 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Just to note, that method worked fine. if ur not game to pull it out like me lol

Posted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

That more than likely wouldve overtightened the chain. Just pull it out, put it back in and reset it.

Its sooo easy once you know how it works. Once you get it out, play around with it abit, see how it operates, locks and unlocks. Its self explanatory,

Fix it, before you have no aux shaft left.

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

oh i see, well id done 1000 ks before ur reply, didnt have a problem. I ask my local ford mechanic here after i read that, he said it will be fine. Im happy with that.

Posted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Lowlane7 wrote:
Holy s**t! Lol @Jackhammer timing..

It will probably wear a little faster and need adjusting often then I guess?

Not necessarily - this one is fixed position so actually isn't constantly loading the tensioner against the chain like the factory oil pressure loaded one does. The trick is to get the right initial position (ie. that won't necessarily mean ANY tension - or much anyhow) - so the chain runs smooth without whipping about or pressing too hard on the guides.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF 5 speed

ACT, Australia

I've seen on a few different engines now that when the rocker cover is removed and you push on the chain with a screwdriver or something to check the tension (with the chain tensioned), it is quite slack on the passenger side but rock solid on the tensioner side.

How is this possible and what causes it? Seeing as the timing chain rotates clockwise and is driven by the crankshaft sprocket, how can there be slack between the crank/aux sprockets and the cam sprocket?

If I'm not wrong it'd only make sense if it was only like this when the engine is stopped. Once the engine is running and the crank sprocket is pulling the chain clockwise, any slack would have to move to the tensioner side. But if this is the case how does the cam rotate slightly independently of the crank/aux sprockets once the engine is stopped in order for the slack to move to the passenger side?

Or would it somehow remain slack on the passenger side even while running?

Discuss :)

Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Compression.

When you turn off the engine it will often rotate backward slightly due to compression.
Get a mate to flick the key while you watch the balancer pulley and you'll see what I mean.

Large cams and high spring pressure can also cause this as the cam will be rotated by the rocker arms on the trailing edge of the lobe.

I have watched mine idling with rocker cover off and the chain was slapping around like crazy, so much so it was lunching tensioners. Since then I have installed a solid manually adjustable tensioner which has allowed me to dial in the tension for minimum slack without being over tight and risking aux shaft/block damage.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF 5 speed

ACT, Australia

Aaaah makes sense. Solved! Simple as that.

After inspecting mine yesterday I've found my tensioner piston is now seized in the timing cover so it can't move, same as galapogos said above. Didn't have any luck dislodging it with a hammer and chisel from either side, F**k it.

Seems like a reasonably common problem, I guess it would be caused by not enough oil in the tensioner bore (because of a blockage) and/or the the tensioner constantly bouncing around due to not enough tension.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

You have to fix it. Otherwise the tensioner wont be tensioning proply, youll end up with no aux shaft left, and cam timing out to buggery.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next