Fordmods Logo

AU rusted fuel rail 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: AU rusted fuel rail
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:09 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XF Falcon ute

VIC, Australia

Anyone got any advice on how to clean the inside of a fuel rail that has some internal rust issues? The fuel pressure regulator is also affected by fine silt like rust particles but I think replacing that is the best option.
Just don't want to put it all back together and have the same problem down the track.

Also what causes these to rust, I've discovered this is a fairly common problem.
The car gradually ran more and more rich and died under acceleration.

Post subject: Re: AU rusted fuel rail
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:20 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Pretty sure once they're rusty then you need to either get one of those billet fuel rail kits and have an external fuel reg and such or try to find a good used one...

Rust is caused by water... Ethanol is water based (grown from a plant) so that will surely do it... If your fuel station has rusty tanks leaching water in from the ground... One of our servos had a cracked pipe and was filling peoples cars 1 part water for 1 part fuel... This was obvious because they drove 100m and then stopped... Or I'm pretty sure 91ron is of such a low std nowadays that if you did a sample and sent it to a lab you'd probably find water in it too...

When I got my ED and was driving it when I was 17 I had one load of fuel about 6 months after driving where it kept stalling and carrying on (from a servo which was under 10yr old) and ever since that I've only run 98 simply because you never have any difficulties with it... My fuel filters last years and years on 98... Lasted about 6 months on 91...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:05 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

best thing to do is replace it with a good used rail and reg, but depending where the source is, the fuel lines along the body are steel and can rust under some conditions..

and as mentioned rust is usually from water in the fuel or if the car has sat with no fuel and moisture/ condensation has set in the lines or fuel rail.
ethanol fuels are hydroscopic and they absorb and carry the water with it..
so if you have run ethanol based fuel and have had water or moisture in the fuel it can cause rust, but usually only if the car has sat around a lot and not driven daily..

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XF Falcon ute

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the replies, I'm putting another fuel rail on with new regulator. The AU fuel rails for the tickford and standard engine are the same except for the fuel pressure regulator which is different between the 2 engines? Well that's what I'm hoping anyway because I can't find any tickford ones for sale, new or used, but there are a few standard ones.

Thanks

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:08 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

xfute4.0 wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I'm putting another fuel rail on with new regulator. The AU fuel rails for the tickford and standard engine are the same except for the fuel pressure regulator which is different between the 2 engines? Well that's what I'm hoping anyway because I can't find any tickford ones for sale, new or used, but there are a few standard ones.

Thanks

Yes I believe the rails are the same except for the Regs. :)

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Fuel rails are the same for all AU 6cyl.

You can use a BA one if you want, 270kpa reg.

300 & 350kpa regs are still available from Ford, also available aftermarket.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]