Front Mount Intercooler Supercharged 5.0L Setup 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Front Mount Intercooler Supercharged 5.0L Setup
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED Fairmont GHIA 1994

NSW, Australia

All,

The time has come to install a front mount intercooler on my Supercharged 5.0L ED. When I started the project (by project I mean my car) the intention was to install a Front Mount Intercooler, with this in mind I bought the Sony Scorched Body Kit to "house" the intercooler. Reasons behind going with a front mount intercooler? Each time I think about it, its mainly to do with the look, I really like the look. In saying that, I also want it to be functional, efficient and increase the performance.

What I have read about installing a Front Mount Intercooler on the 5.0L is that it is quite difficult, from what I can find on Fordmods (I have searched back to around 2010 posts) and have found very little.

I understand the mounting of the intercooler will be very similar to the 6cyl, what I'm.curious about is if there are any setups for the 5.0L where the Upper Manifold is left in factory position (i have seen an AU like this) and pipe work to and from the intercooler.

Any pics?

Thanks,
Nathan

1994 ED Fairmont Ghia
2006 BFMKII Fairmont Ghia

Post subject: Re: Front Mount Intercooler Supercharged 5.0L Setup
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Ghiaed1994 wrote:
I'm.curious about is if there are any setups for the 5.0L where the Upper Manifold is left in factory position (i have seen an AU like this) and pipe work to and from the intercooler

Are you talking about the supercharged black AU ute in the youtube clip?

Have you looked at getting another manifold that moves the throttle body to the other side of the engine bay? That way, you could fit a WTA heat exchanger somewhere in between it and the SC.

A bit of shame to chop into the Scorcher bar when they're so hard to find secondhand now. :(

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:36 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ED Fairmont GHIA 1994

NSW, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
Ghiaed1994 wrote:
I'm.curious about is if there are any setups for the 5.0L where the Upper Manifold is left in factory position (i have seen an AU like this) and pipe work to and from the intercooler

Are you talking about the supercharged black AU ute in the youtube clip?

Have you looked at getting another manifold that moves the throttle body to the other side of the engine bay? That way, you could fit a WTA heat exchanger somewhere in between it and the SC.

A bit of shame to chop into the Scorcher bar when they're so hard to find secondhand now. :(

Shortshift,

I'm not too sure if it was a Ute, it was an engine bay shot and if I remember right it was a supercharged 347 windsor. In reply to your suggestions, I have no issues with rotating the upper manifold so the throttle body is on the drivers side my preference would not to do it just to minimise the work. Water to air intercoolers are an option, I do have one in mind that will fit snugly with my current setup. They are less pipework and slightly more components to set-up. As I mentioned before, I really like the look of the Front Mount Intercooler and would like to get this to work (and I already have it from a previous project).

I bought the complete scorcher kit from a guy in Wollongong a few years back, he actually owns the moulds, I still have his contact details I can send them through if you like. Maybe he still does them?

I've been flat out with work and not being able to work on the car is depressing, so I thought I would do the next best thing and at least try and plan the work out and get some ideas.

Thanks for tour post.

Nathan.

1994 ED Fairmont Ghia
2006 BFMKII Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

Perhaps send a PM to Troyman as he had an intercooler setup with his ED (but using a different bumper). I looked at fitting the radiator for the WTA setup on my EA but didn't want to start cutting into the bumper. The alternative is to get a custom made intercooler and relocate your car horns and aircon condensor.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]