XH Longreach Ute - Driver's Side mirror replacement 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: XH Longreach Ute - Driver's Side mirror replacement
Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XH Falcon Ute

VIC, Australia

HI guys

OK, I admit I'm a newbie and don't know much about working on cars, but i thought i could replace my driver's side mirror on 1998 Longreach ute after some unhelpful person knocked the old one off.

I have removed the remnants of the broken mirror and purchased a new one, but am having trouble fitting it.

Can anyone give me a simple step by step guide to how it goes back in?

Do I need to remove the interior door panel or window guide to be able to slide it into place?

My old mirror had two screws that attached it to the metal of the window guide, but the new one
seems to have only the fittings for the 2 screws that attach it to the door rim and then a smaller screw which attaches to in the interior mirror control panel. Does this sound right?

Any help or comments would be really appreciated as this is getting really frustrating!

Thanks in advance...

Post subject: Re: XH Longreach Ute - Driver's Side mirror replacement
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:08 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: XH Ute

QLD, Australia

Hey Jeremy,

I just had the passenger mirror off mine last week. From your description it would seem that you've found the two screws hidden behind the window guide to get the old one out (that took me a while to figure out). On mine there was a right angled plastic moulding that took the screws that passed through the window guide. That in turn was screwed to the main body of the mirros with a couple of screws, you may need to transfer the old one to the new one.

I fitted the mirror back in place by pushing the window guide out of the way to give a bit of wiggle room to get the mirror to slide into the upper angled channel of the door then pushed it down into the corner, hope that makes sense to you.

here's the section of the manual

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XH Falcon Ute

VIC, Australia

Thanks SO much, that is really helpful!

So from reading that bit of the manual it looks like I need to remove the inner door trim to be able to undo the window guide so I can pull it away and get the mirror into position?

Any tricks to taking this door trim off?

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: XH Ute

QLD, Australia

HI Jeremy,

I'm not certain what you're unsure of, so I'll go through what I did, bearingin mind I only did the passenger side.

Taking off the internal door trim. 1st take the lock button off, I can get mine off by pulling it, bu tyou might need to wrap a rag round it and use a pair of pliers to get it off. It just pulls out so don't be afraid to pull really hard.

Remove door speakers if you have them, the inner door handle, the window winder and the trim around the opening handle.

Take hold of the door inner trim at the bottom corner (either one will do, but I use the one furthest from the hinge as it's easier for me) and yank it off, the trim is held in place with friction fit plastic fittings. You'll see what I mean when you get the trim off, some of these these and their receptacles may need to be replaced, but are cheap and readily available. Unpop all of these fittings (about 9 or 10 IIRC) and the trim will flap about only held in by the top channel at the window. I can get the trim off with a little pulling and pushing to clear the mirror adjuster moulding.

So that's the door trim off, I think you can avoid removing the plastic sheet if you'r willing to cut a hole in it instead to get to the wiring later. If you have to remove the plastic just pull it off gently, the glue will give, but take care as it bloody sticks to everything.

Unscrew and remove the mirror switch and disconnect it to get it out of the way and push the wiring down into the door

wind the window down all the way and pull out the channel guide at the mirror just enough to see the two screws, pull the channel guide out enough to get these screws out, then push the channel away from the mirror to allow enough room to slide it out. I didn't unbolt the bottom of the channel like the instructions say.

Fitting is a reverse of removal (as all the good manuals say).

A point to note is that the channel on my car was pretty rusty and I was pretty gentle with it so it wouldn't snap of bend excessively. Also there is the issue of the bracket that you reckon you don't have on the new mirror that you will need to remove from the old mirror and reuse.

Good Luck

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]