Fordmods Logo

Ford BA Vent Rattle 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Ford BA Vent Rattle
Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:47 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA XR6

SA, Australia

My BA XR6 has a light vibration sound coming out of the passenger side left face vent whenever the fan is on low. If I crank the fan up to half power or more the vibration accelerates to the point where it fades away and is no longer audible. I'm guessing there's some debris caught in there. What's involved in getting access to the passenger side vent to have a look? Is this done via the glovebox?

Post subject: Re: Ford BA Vent Rattle
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA Falcon 2003, 86 XF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Never had to get into the vents in mine, Could also be your fan motor, Mine was sounding pretty bad by the end (especially on low) before I changed it over, also try unclipping your glove box lid and removing the air filter, mine was full of leaves so ended up getting a vacuum cleaner out to remove them from the duct work before the filter. All runs quiet now, hopefully its something simple, obviously if it only happens when the dash vents are selected its not gonna be the motor. Good luck mate

Best thing about having a TV in your room... It makes it ok to have a beer in bed...

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:44 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

user272 wrote:
Never had to get into the vents in mine, Could also be your fan motor, Mine was sounding pretty bad by the end (especially on low) before I changed it over, also try unclipping your glove box lid and removing the air filter, mine was full of leaves so ended up getting a vacuum cleaner out to remove them from the duct work before the filter. All runs quiet now, hopefully its something simple, obviously if it only happens when the dash vents are selected its not gonna be the motor. Good luck mate

Cheers for the response.
Just checked this morning and the rattle happens regardless of which vent is in use.
Obviously the issue is with the fan itself.
Since you've had experience in changing yours over, could you please explain what's involved?

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:07 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Pretty easy job, three Phillips head screws under the glovebox, undo these and the fan should come straight out toward the floor, there will be a plug that clips in for the cables which you remove and then you should have it out, Once its out you should be able to reach your hand up (with the air filter removed) and remove anything caught in the duct that might also be creating the sound.
Looks like there are a few 2nd hand on ebay for around $30+, if you grab one from jollys/pick-a-part just make sure it feels relatively tight without too much side to side movement to avoid getting another bad one. An SY territory fan will also fit.
Good luck mate, think that should cover it, let me know if I missed anything.

Best thing about having a TV in your room... It makes it ok to have a beer in bed...

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:33 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

user272 wrote:
Pretty easy job, three Phillips head screws under the glovebox, undo these and the fan should come straight out toward the floor, there will be a plug that clips in for the cables which you remove and then you should have it out, Once its out you should be able to reach your hand up (with the air filter removed) and remove anything caught in the duct that might also be creating the sound.
Looks like there are a few 2nd hand on ebay for around $30+, if you grab one from jollys/pick-a-part just make sure it feels relatively tight without too much side to side movement to avoid getting another bad one. An SY territory fan will also fit.
Good luck mate, think that should cover it, let me know if I missed anything.

Had a crack at this, unfortunately not much luck.
I found the three screws (see picture attached), however once they're out, the box would not budge.
I tried wiggling it in any direction I could, and it still wouldn't budge.
It certainly didn't come straight out.
Am I missing something?

I got behind the glove box and removed the air filter and vacuumed out all the leaves and debris, however it still made the noise, so it's obviously the fan that needs replacement.

Attachments:
File comment: Heater box with screw holes attached
IMG_1745.JPG
IMG_1745.JPG [ 180.21 KiB | Viewed 319 times ]

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:08 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Just looking at my old fan now which for some reason I hadn't thrown away, There will be two more screws like the one at the top of your pic but from looking at mine the electrical plug might have to be pulled out to get to one of them, ignore the screws in the centre of the motor, you wont need to touch these.

Attachments:
20140803_090030.jpg
20140803_090030.jpg [ 346.18 KiB | Viewed 292 times ]

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:19 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

user272 wrote:
Just looking at my old fan now which for some reason I hadn't thrown away, There will be two more screws like the one at the top of your pic but from looking at mine the electrical plug might have to be pulled out to get to one of them, ignore the screws in the centre of the motor, you wont need to touch these.

Thanks so much for the diagram, that makes perfect sense now.

I scored a second hand heater fan unit from the wreckers for $50, came off a BF Falcon with only 40,000k's on it. I gave Ford a call regarding a brand new unit and it was around $350 so I think I'm happy with the $50 option!! :-)

I'm giving it a shot this weekend... see how we go!

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:25 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Haha, good score on the 40,000 k's, I remembered they were pretty steep for a brand new one but I didn't think it would be as ridiculous as $350.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]