4.0L turbo? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: 4.0L turbo?
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:50 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 94 tickford enhanced xg ute

TAS, Australia

hi all,
I am very keen to get a turbo on my XG xr6 and I have one sitting in the shed ready to use, can anyone plz tell me if I would be able to run a VJ8 turbo on the 4.0L? :?:
my original plan was to run 2 of these on her (1 on cylinders 1,2 & 3 and other one on cylinders 4,5 & 6) :mrgreen: but I don't know my way around turbos very well so im hoping someone can help out. :|

thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: 4.0L turbo?
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:49 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AU II XR6 UTE

Don't know about Vj8...what are they off?
But for turbo... you must rebuild internals. Otherwise you'll find yourself with a blown motor.

So are you serious about proceeding? If so, get pen + paper and create budget.
second, find out equipment and all associated costs.

Get prices. Now can I afford it? (or do i buy auto ba xr6 turbo for $9000 and turn up boost). following approval from your missus ( haha), start reading past turbo projects...stay up to 3am reading and understanding how to do it. then buy stuff...then start doing it. have a goal when to finish it. never turn into "unfinished project"!

The other thing would be to find a second hand DOHC xr6 turbo from BA-FG. Im sure this would be just as much a project as turbo'ing the old xg/eb motor. Plus you would get better gains without so much worry things are going to break

then get your ute detailed, lowered and put on 12 slotter rims. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

(P.s Head to http://www.boostedfalcon.net)

2001 AU II XR6 HP LIQUID SILVER UTE

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford falcon Au2

ACT, Australia

hi guys i have a ford fairlain au 2 with a vct 6 tickford am looking at bolting a turbo on what would be the best option for this and does anyone know the specs out come of doing soo i been looking at garrets i think it is ???

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

The VG8 I believe is off the telstar TX5 turbo.

drewh wrote:
But for turbo... you must rebuild internals. Otherwise you'll find yourself with a blown motor.

Contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of people here and abroad that have boosted standard internals for a good reliable result, the trick is not to get greedy, and don't stinge out on a tune.

Ba XRTs run standard internals as a perfect production example....

If you don't know which people to ask these kinds of questions around here then you haven't done enough research, and I'm not saying I am one of those people either. Just saying be careful who you listen to, that could be the difference between a blown motor or a streetable turbo 4litre.

Au2xr6tickford wrote:
hi guys i have a ford fairlain au 2 with a vct 6 tickford am looking at bolting a turbo on what would be the best option for this and does anyone know the specs out come of doing soo i been looking at garrets i think it is ???

VCT motors don't lend themselves to being easily boosted and tunable. Do some more research.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford falcon Au2

ACT, Australia

ok but it can be done i have done my research and i know its plausible has any1 here done it and what aftermarket turbo would suit ?

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:26 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

I done it a few years ago on a std au vct engine..
I was running 12psi for a few years and it was fine.. the key is in how well its tuned, not enough fuel or to much timing will result in a internal melt down..

I was running a garret to4e with p trim turbine wheel, 1.07 turbine housing, 66mm compressor wheel, .70 ar housing, external 50mm wastegate. 6boost tubular manifold, 600x300 intercooler, ems stinger ecu, walbro fuel pump with 60lb injectors..

if you buy all this new allow for about $7000 in parts, then your looking at around $1000 for custom 3" exhaust, around $500-$1000 for dyno tuning.
then there is manufacturing intake and intercooler pipes..
if your car is manual you will then start a chain reaction that will kill your clutch, then you keep upgrading your clutch until the gearbox breaks..lol
if your auto the std auto providing its in good condition will take it for a while providing it has a big cooler and shift kit, otherwise allow 2-5g for a built box... the std lsd wont last if your going to punish it so allow for a diff rebuild or a lokka.

at the end of the day, well in my case it made 270 rwkw and ran 12 sec 1/4 miles consistently and reliably at a cost of well over 10g...

add more if you want it engineered...

Attachments:
IMG_8367_web.jpg
IMG_8367_web.jpg [ 147.17 KiB | Viewed 421 times ]

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU II Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Not to throw a spanner in the works bit wouldn't it be much cheaper to just get a ba-fg turbo motor and fit that into your car. You get an engine that's been designed to boost and your potential for power is a lot higher than trying to turbo an NA engine, more reliable I've read posts on of guys getting a ba turbo engine for about 3k I'd say shop around and you'd be able to get a decent engine and box for a good price . Just my 2 cents

AU II Fairlane Ghia 180 hp@ the wheels, Pacemaker 4499, RedBack 2.5", stock CAT, CAI, Lovells low's. More to come

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU II Fairlane

QLD, Australia

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 22&alt=web 4

4500 for engine and 6spd box

AU II Fairlane Ghia 180 hp@ the wheels, Pacemaker 4499, RedBack 2.5", stock CAT, CAI, Lovells low's. More to come

Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:07 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

javier86 wrote:
Not to throw a spanner in the works bit wouldn't it be much cheaper to just get a ba-fg turbo motor and fit that into your car. You get an engine that's been designed to boost and your potential for power is a lot higher than trying to turbo an NA engine, more reliable I've read posts on of guys getting a ba turbo engine for about 3k I'd say shop around and you'd be able to get a decent engine and box for a good price . Just my 2 cents

after turboin my ed and my au in all honesty.. even with the added amount on top needed to get the ba bf turbo working in the car. it would be more cost effective to just go buy a ba or bf turbo and no need for any engineering or modifying...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]