Fordmods Logo

Where does the noise suppressor mount on an ef coil pack 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Where does the noise suppressor mount on an ef coil pack
Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Hi guys,

The story is that I am getting an EF Falcon running for a friend who butchered it, I have done all the mechanical work and replacing chain guides, timing cover, head gasket etc however it cranks but does not fire. I usually don't deal with EF falcons so I am not sure how the ignition system works. I'd prefer a dizzy any day.

I know its not smart lock as the light goes out. I have cleaned the Crank Angle Sensor and the Cam Angle Sensor. I unplugged the distributer and this is when I located a stray wire with 12 volts.

The wire is a pink and blue wire. It comes out of the BBM loom about where the 4th cylinder bbm runner is (just after the throttle body on the side closest to the firewall and is not covered in black tape. It comes out by itself. I know this wire also connects to the coil plug and it connects to the cam angle sensor and it connects to the loom plugs and turns into a red a green wire after this. I have checked the voltage at all the plugs I can trace the pink wire to and they have voltage. So i am guessing that something close by isnt being powered causing the no spark.

The wire has been cut and only has a range of connecting somewhere near the BBM but I can't find out where. The wire has a voltage of 12.6v.

Could someone please spend a couple of seconds and just trace the wire where is comes out of the loom near the injectors and let me know where it leads.

I know you will do your best to help me guys, you always have :)

Cheers guys

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Last edited by Saltez! on Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Where does noise suppressor mount on an ef coil pack
Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Hi guys, upon a whole heap more research I believe this pink and blue wire is the wire that goes to the radio noise suppressor which apparently connects somewhere near the coil pack. I just had a couple of questions

1. Where abouts does this suppressor mount to the coil pack as it only has the 1 main connector for the coil pack?

2. Does the coil pack need to be earthed and if so does bolting it down earth it or is there another wire I am missing somewhere???

Any help would be appreciated guys

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Post subject: Re: Where does noise suppressor mount on an ef coil pack
Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:41 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Saltez! wrote:
Hi guys, upon a whole heap more research I believe this pink and blue wire is the wire that goes to the radio noise suppressor which apparently connects somewhere near the coil pack. I just had a couple of questions

1. Where abouts does this suppressor mount to the coil pack as it only has the 1 main connector for the coil pack?

2. Does the coil pack need to be earthed and if so does bolting it down earth it or is there another wire I am missing somewhere???

Any help would be appreciated guys

1) The wire attaches to the noise suppressor and the surpressor is attached to the coil using one of the mounting bolts. The noise suppressor is a seperate part to the coil pack.

2) Coil does not need to be earthed. You just bolt it to the mount.

Post subject: Re: Where does the noise suppressor mount on an ef coil pack
Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:17 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Cheers,

Also do the gold rings on the coil pack act as earths?? Or are they just there for mounting purposes?
Would only using 2 bolts to mount the coil cause it not to work?

Only reason I ask is that if I do require the rest of the bolts I will have to go to the wreckers to collect them as none of the bolts where provided when I started the job.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:20 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Saltez! wrote:
Cheers,

Also do the gold rings on the coil pack act as earths?? Or are they just there for mounting purposes?
Would only using 2 bolts to mount the coil cause it not to work?

Only reason I ask is that if I do require the rest of the bolts I will have to go to the wreckers to collect them as none of the bolts where provided when I started the job.

The coil does not earth to the mount. The brass inserts you are talking about are for support of the coil (like crush tubes) so you don't crack the coil mount (feet). You could use 2 but I would strongly recommend using 2 as with the vibration from the engine you could crack the coil feet.

Last edited by SWC on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:57 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Thanks for your help mate. Appreciate it.

I will chuck the other 2 bolts once I get the car to fire. Just trying to diagnose it at the moment.

Thanks again!!!

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:43 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Pull the ECU fault codes - for their day, these cars had some good diagnostics, problem is people don't use them.
Every bit of help might make a difference.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

verify this is coil pack not a single coil ?ef = coil pack and crank sensor
but you commented that you disconnected the distributor ??

pink blue wire is normally tacho pulse for diagnostics plug if coil pack - suppressor wont stop spark if disconnected - check if power is at red/green wire of coil pack connection.............

or ignition negative pulse to coil and tacho /resistor to diagnostic plug if single coil - red/green is power to coil- suppressor connects to this and earth

check brown relay near battery is working -

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:24 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

I pulled the fault codes and was just getting the standard fan 777, 778 codes for not having them in the car at the moment. However I got a 578 code which is low voltage and has something to do with the transmission. I'm not too worried about that as I don't think that this is a major issue and would stop the car from running.

I reconnected the noise suppressor capacity and joined the wire and it still cranks and does not fire as has no spark.

The car is an EF with a crank angle sensor, cam angle sensor (where the distributer goes on other eseries) and a coil pack. If i said distributer then I meant the cam angle sensor (cmp sensor)

I have checked that there is power to the coil and to the cam shaft angle sensor. It is showing battery voltage 12.6v. I have followed the pink and blue (the blue may be green) wire and it turns into the red/green wire when it connects to the big plug on the loom, this also has 12.6v at this point.

I have checked the voltage of the crank angle sensor which is showing at 1.67v with key on engine off and when the engine is cranking it stays at 0.98v but as I have a digital multi meter I can't tell if its working or not. I did visually inspect it and the front of the sensor has the black plastic worn off it and u can see the copper coil in the sensor, so I am suspect on this part and I think it could be the problem.

I have not checked the brown relay yet. I have disconnected and plugged it in again but I am not sure if this achieved anything. I plan on getting a replacement relay from the wreckers tomorrow as I don't know how to test them. I am getting the fuel pump to prime and everything seems to be powering up, i just have no spark.

So I am basically at the point now where I am going to have to begin to swap out parts until I find the problem. From my understanding you can run these engines with the Camshaft position sensor disconnected so I know this is not the problem, therefore this leaves me with the crank angle sensor and the coil. I am of the understanding that if the coil pack failed then I would at least get some spark from one of the plugs and it wouldnt be completely dead, but just cause the car to miss.

I am also starting to think it may be the ECU. I think after the crank angle sensor this will be the next thing to try.

Let me know what you think and if I am on the right track.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:19 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Earth the top right diagnosis connector pin, turn IGN on - if fuel pump runs, the fuel pump relay and ECU relay are fine.
A sus Crank Angle sensor and the engine won't run at all.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:00 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Excellent mate. I will do that this morning and see what happens. That should save me a few bucks at the wreckers and some time. I'll post back what happens after I change the crank angle sensor.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:45 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Try for an EF or AUI sensor - AUII & III might have a different connector.
Someone might confirm that.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

What is yopur smartlock light on the dash doing?

Is it flashing normal?

Does it go out when you crank?

Smartlock will cut spark as well as fuel. You could have a faullty BCM.

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:16 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Checked the fuel pump and ecu relay as you said and all is working good.

Replaced the Crank Angle Sensor and it started first time!!!!!

Seems the previous owner had put the sensor on backwards causing it to be flat on one side and rounded on the other and as it wouldn't fit behind the harmonic balancer properly it machined one side flat. I thought that it was meant to look like this until I went to the wreckers and saw that it should be rounded on both sides.

Problems all fixed now guys. Thanks for your time and help :)

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:03 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Good for you.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]