Fordmods Logo

Sudden burst of power @2500rpm 

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Sudden burst of power @2500rpm
Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I know how you feel - this EF has been the same - in fact it was only 3 weekends ago that I had to AGAIN have a go at sealing up the ^%$# thermostat top cover! (had previously replaced O rings on the water pipe at the pump and at the thermo housing - gooped both up with Grey max - which seemes to have worked so far - so have done the same to the top cover). I'm currently also waiting for an overhauled steering rack to arrive from CV Joints Aust. (the first one they sent was for EL - even tho I was at pains to explain what model i needed... :shock: ) - that's becuase I've fitted 3 racks in 3 years from wreckers at $100 each - which have all leaked after about 12 months... (I can replace a steering rack - including alignment - in about an hour flat). I also need to get a steering pressure hose, because altho I HAD found one with the good steering pump end - ie. without the di ck head swivel coupling thing - the dopey wa nkers who made it used sh it hose which started splitting and leaking within 6 months - so I had to grab a "proper" one with the po ofey swivel fitting from Bursons - and sure enough it randomly drips from the swivel (I have found the proper hoses - with good ends and made by good company - for $118).

Fix Or Repair Daily...

Deep breath - end of rant... :roll:

As far as the BBM goes yep it sounds like it's operating as it should, BUT it sounds like it has a tad too little resistance there - mine takes a bit of effort to pull round and it "relaxes" back in fairly lively fashion when I let it go. It's possible your actuator has a split diaphragm - or there's some other leak or issue in the vac system that drives it - which MIGHT be causing it to move round ok with lots of vac but not stay pulled to Long Path under actual driving conditions - ie. especially at high throttle position below 3800rpm - when direct vac will be low.

I'd try tying it in Long Path and see if the bottom end improves.

Like I say, it might all be absolutely working right and I'm barking up entirely the wrong tree, but a bit of elimination is relatively effortless.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 98 EL Falcon

QLD, Australia

Man, it is horrible. Just stupid leaks everywhere.
At least the welch plugs have stopped leaking. I had two goes at those silly bastards... :evil:
So is this rack going to set you back very much?

So on the topic of the bbm, if I disconnect and plug the vacuum hose and block it, then tie the leg into the long path position and then go for a drive, that would give me a definitive answer as to whether it is working or not?

Because after I figure this out, I need to find what is causing this stupid stuttering issue! :( I have a feeling that is the leads, or even the timing. But whatever it is, it is royally pissing me off. It is horrible to drive cold, and in car parks :(

98 EL Falcon Gli - AU II intech - t5 manual - Lowered on king lows - 2.5" custom exhaust - 200cell hi flow cat - 17" Speedy cobalt's powder coated in steel pearl - powerwindows - suede door inserts (classy) - fog lights - (probably other things I can't remember)

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

No need to unplug or block off anything - just use a cable tie or bit of wire or cord to tie the arm in the Long Path position and see if it feels livelier in the bottom end.

I didn't realise you had actual rough running - thought your car just felt a bit sluggish in the bottom end - a BBM switching fault won't have anything to do with stuttering or rough running...

The rack is reconditioned - $210 + $50 freight and no exchange (I think someone on Ebay does $180 with exchange).

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Okay cool, give that a go.

The burst of power in don't think is related to he stuttering, once it hits 2500 the car pulls like a champion. But the problem is it only does it sometimes. It feels like it is labouring a little. There is no drop in power as such. More of a lack of extra power. It is hard to explain. If you have had the chance to drive a turbo car, when it hits boost, you get a kick in the bumb and it takes off. The "burst" of power in am experiencing is some what like that. There is a noticeable "head thrown back kind" of kick.

But sometimes when you drive down a street and put a little load on the car it really bogs down. I will try and get a video of it, but it is more of a "feel" rather than a visual thing.
Other times it likes to hop. You will be driving through a car park in first with very light throttle and then the car will start shaking you back and forth. The tachometer will bounce between 1000 and 2000 when those happens. I think it has to be something with spark or the injectors.
But the main issue here is this "burst" of power is that it isn't consistent.

98 EL Falcon Gli - AU II intech - t5 manual - Lowered on king lows - 2.5" custom exhaust - 200cell hi flow cat - 17" Speedy cobalt's powder coated in steel pearl - powerwindows - suede door inserts (classy) - fog lights - (probably other things I can't remember)

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Sorry for all the grammatical problems. My phone doesn't like to do English properly :-(

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

So this thread is a little old, and I still haven't gotten to the bottom of this issue. Has anyone thought of anything in my absence?

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford '96 fairmont ghia

VIC, Australia

Hey bud,
I had a xh, 6 cyl similar thing would happen to it. With mine however it was like it had two modes it could start up in. Eitger it would start rough and run like a flooded carby or it would start up in party mode. And like yours at 2500 pull like a school boy and run the way they should.
Unfortunatly, i never did pin point the issue to a set thing i was always sus on the wiring from TFI to the dash and ECU. I did change the loom under the manifold dizzy to firewall loom plug with not much joy u might say it could be in the loom from that plug to ECU AND TACHO.

Hope it helps

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey bud,
I had a xh, 6 cyl similar thing would happen to it. With mine however it was like it had two modes it could start up in. Eitger it would start rough and run like a flooded carby or it would start up in party mode. And like yours at 2500 pull like a school boy and run the way they should.
Unfortunatly, i never did pin point the issue to a set thing i was always sus on the wiring from TFI to the dash and ECU. I did change the loom under the manifold dizzy to firewall loom plug with not much joy u might say it could be in the loom from that plug to ECU AND TACHO.

Hope it helps

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Cheers mate, I appreciate any info people have on this topic. I am starting to lean towards it being a multitude of vacuum leaks. I have a feeling the brake booster may be the culprit.

Can vacuum leaks cause this type of behavior?

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Vac leaks usually, will appear as idle issue's. It will normally allow the car to start but not run. Unless up over 1500 rpm pig of a thing to get into gear.
I have found in years of being a mechanic most intermitant problems with vehicles turn out being electrical. Mechanical or pyshical problems tend to happen consistantly. T

For example. Drive line vibration. 80kph and up.
You can normally drive it to 79kph without noticing it. Touch 80 however and bang its there. Back off gone. Know what i mean?
If your not sure get some carby cleaner spray and outside only! Have someone in the car and pick engine up of idle slightly and spray the outside of intake manifold from a distance if you have a vac leak the engine will rev up around the area of the leak as it sucks in the carby clean.

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I have another thread on here about a pain in the a** idle rev hang issue the car has as well. I'm just trying to think if maybe they're all related. I changed the intake manifold gasket about a month ago and that made a huge difference, but now it seems as if the car is almost back to the same performance it had with the old cracked gasket.

I'm not sure whether the problems are related, but both are equally annoying, I can assure you.

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Dose the idle play up at the same time as its running like s**t? Or is it that when its idling like crap that is when the top end is full noise?

Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Dose the idle play up at the same time as its running like s**t? Or is it that when its idling like crap that is when the top end is full noise?

Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:29 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

A few months ago when I started this thread, I had no vacuum issues, and I could almost get the car to have this 'burst' when I wanted. Now though, after changing intake manifold gaskets and the likes, the leaks were gone for a week or two and the car was running well. Now, it is idling like it is leaking vacuum again, it runs like it has a huge weight on the back and the idle is all messed up with the revs not returning. It is to the point that when I change gear (manual) , the revs go up for a moment and then come back when the clutch is released. Which makes it sound like I don't know how to change gears and am holding the throttle on. A point to add, the isc is disconnected because of the stupid crap. Now it is doing the same thing again without the isc.

And on sorta back on topic, it hardly ever has this 'burst' any more. It just feels like it is labouring the whole time.

Ps : I have noticed a sucking sound coming from behind the dash in the right Corner, kind of where the brake booster is on the other side of the firewall. It has only appeared since the idle has messed up.

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:01 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon XR6

VIC, Australia

Toquin wrote:
A few months ago when I started this thread, I had no vacuum issues, and I could
Ps : I have noticed a sucking sound coming from behind the dash in the right Corner, kind of where the brake booster is on the other side of the firewall. It has only appeared since the idle has messed up.

That would indicate an air leak which in turn will affect your idle.

Interesting thing I have the same surge of power on my EF XR at 2500 rpm as you had.
It's really noticible in second gear when keeping a constant throttle opening when it hits 2500 rpm you get this nice push in the back of acceleration.

Other than that the car runs fine ... been doing it for a while now (no it's not the BBM) ... wonder if the ECU is doing something with the mapping at 2500rpm to give the increase?

95 EF XR6 Manual
Pioneer, Oz Audio, Butler, Image Dynamics, Audison
MEASQ - Aust Champion Intermediate Class 2006
MEASQ - Vic Champion Intermediate Class 2007
MEASQ - Aust Champion Intermediate Class 2007
MEASQ - Aust Champion Expert Class 2008
MEASQ - Aust Champion Advanced Class 2011 (Shared)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next