Fordmods Logo

Convert AU to Low-Restriction BA Induction Tube - Part 1 

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Convert AU to Low-Restriction BA Induction Tube - Part 1
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:08 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Has anyone had any issues with the PVC pipe? All the 80mm pipe has an od of 82.5mm which makes a difference, ie there is no way it will fit without some serious grinding.

All help would be most appreciated.

Cheers

James

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I had no problem finding it at the local hardware store. It seems that 3" is a common size, and it's 76mm ID, 80mm OD - perfect for this job. 80mm ID would definitely be too big.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:35 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Yep, figured it out after a bit of stuffing around. I grabbed PVC DWV or storm water pipe not PVC down pipe. The former, although called 80mm, is actually 82.5mm OD which means it won't fit. The down pipe only came in 3m lengths at bunnings and both Reece and tradelink were out of the smaller lengths. Anyway, 3m length purchased and 15cm length cut and is now fitted to the car. Just sorting out the oil breather hose now.

Not sure I noticed a huge difference, hopefully fuel economy will be slightly improved.

Cheers

James

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: MKII BF XR6

WA, Australia

Attachment:
Whole Lot.jpg
Attachment:
Territory Spacers, EL Concertina Pipe & Silicon Tube.jpg
Attachment:
Territory Throttle Body Pipe.jpg
Attachment:
BF XR6T-V8-FPV Intake Snorkel.jpg

Kia Ora, EFxr6wagon. Thanks for your post and the others of course.

I've had a '98 EL Futura Sapphire II Wagon XR6 lookalike since new and mod'ed over the years.
I also had a company BFII XR6 a few yrs back (14.520 @ 97.08). When the lease was up I put it back to std which left me with a few bolt on bit's in the shed.

I'd looked at doing something to the intake and wondered if the BFII XR6T/V8/FPV Top Snorkel would fit? Lo and behold it did! with a minor mod. The BF Snorkel sits further back then the std EL so you have to screw it to the main radiator apron that goes across the front and seal up to the bonnet rubber flap so the air is directed into the duct. I also used a hole saw and dremel to make a hole in the plastic cowl so the air that comes in the 'grill' will find it easy to escape up into the duct.
See this pic.

After reading about the 80mm OD pipe and that horrible 57mm ID restriction Mr Ford puts in the airbox I decided to investigate this further. This had been the impediment to me doing something about this sooner as it all looked liked $$ getting AM CAI's etc, not something I'm into.

I'd also read about BA/AU intakes etc and wondered if that Territory Throttle body snorkel aka the TerritoryRossa Pipe that I had (as is called on the BF forums) would fit?

So I ripped all the EL pipework off and bingo yes it did like a brought one.
Bit of history. This pipe sits higher up off and clears the intake manifold on a Territory. There are no protrusions obstructing the flow in these pipes as they have spacers that hold the pipe up. Why Ford didn't fit these to everything.....one size fits all and cut down on inventory, dies etc is beyond me.
I got mine from a wrecker. Make sure you get the two spacers. I got these and the U pipe for the fresh air into the rocker cover on a BF, not needed on the EL as crankcase air comes off the throttle body, so taped it up. Clears the bonnet and all mounts are the same.
See pic and note spacers! Must have these.

Next was the flexible concertina pipe from the EL. Perfect for any misalignment between the the Territory pipe to the EL Airbox.
See pic

Now how do I join up the 80mm pipe from the air box to the concertina pipe?
Easy, I used the 80mm silicon hose I used on the BF (to replace the concertina hose) as a sleeve joiner and also to cover the PVC pipe and give it that OE look.
See pic of the whole lot.

What you don't see is the beautiful bell mouth (sic) I formed on the 80mm pipe that sits in the airbox.
Thanks for the inspiration EF XR6 Wagon!
Cut off more than the length of the air box, as you can cut it down to size later.
Boil the jug
Get a bowl and place a cone from a wheel balancer in it. I'm in the industry so a cone from a wheel balancer was perfect. I used two cones. First was a steep taper to make a bigger diameter, then one with a wider angle to make the bell end.
Place the tube over the cone and poor boiling hot water down the center allowing it to sit above the cone about an inch, then run into the bowl till it covers the cone.
Now press down on the pipe to form it over the cone. You'll need a few goes at it. I pushed it all the way down and bottomed it out.
Next I used the wide cone to splay it out. Perfect....maybe a bit too big as I had to notch it to fit over the ribs in the lid of the EL air box and to maintain a perfect alignment out of the airbox.

Don't go any further in then the dimple in the roof of the airbox lid. It's at it's widest point in the centre of the box so perfect.
You will need to trim the length so that you can install the pipe from the inside etc. It's, as mentioned just about on size. I used a bit of silicon sealant inside and outside the hole in the airbox to make it dust proof.

Parts used:

Territory Throttle body pipe and mounts from a wrecker. About $20-$30
Above mentioned top snorkel, much bigger.
Existing EL hose clamps and concertina pipe.
The all elusive 80mm OD pipe from Bunwings P/N 9312703000616 Downpipe PVC Manufacturer ICON 80mm x 3m Round 1RP80 $26.95. Bummer that you have to buy a 3m length.

The Silicon pipe that I scored from a Radiator mob in Brissie on ebay, cheap.
K&N air cleaner of course.

How does it feel? I've done a few other things to the EL like upping the base timing to 18degs, extractors, Hi-flow metal cat, Pacemaker Vortex pipe, 2.5" mandrel bent system and run it on 98. And what Iv'e noticed is that normally around 4000rpm it would start to wheeze out and take a while to get to the redline, now I've got to back off. Put it this way it cant be any worse then the stock 57mm restrictive system.

Enjoy.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

14.4 @ 97.08mph

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2