Fordmods Logo

XR8 5ltr into 35 Desoto exhaust 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: XR8 5ltr into 35 Desoto exhaust
Posted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 37 ford coupe ute,35 desoto

NSW, Australia

G'day, I will be doing my own twin 2.25" exhaust for my 35 Desoto. I seen on evilbay from superperformance American made outlaw muflers straight thru glass packs are these any good or would it be better to say try and get genie tornado's. What other muflers have people found great for the 5ltr Windsor. Thanks mycoola

Post subject: Re: XR8 5ltr into 35 Desoto exhaust
Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Hooker aerochamber. I've heard 2 different setups and they sound very unique. First was a 302 in a maverick with a single 3" system. No resonators, just dumped straight after the muffler. Volume level was perfect for a car driven almost as much as a daily driver. Tone was spot on with the perfect combination of bark and rumble.

Second was a 351 windsor in a late model falcon. Exhaust was twin 3" to the mufflers then went into a single resonator or the back (can't remember if it was reduced to 2.5" or merged to a single pipe after the mufflers. Volume level was a little on the loud side of normal whilst cruising along but open her up and oh s**t is a different ball game. The owner describes it as simply "stupid loud". As for tone it's a little on the boomy side (but not anywhere like a heavily muffled late model V8 that has that constant half a*** half drone half rumble until you get stuck into it, then it becomes a heavily muffled rumble). But then when she's opened up and unleashed its all hold onto your hats boom and bark. And the best thing is it sounds almost exactly the same outside the car as inside (except a whole heap louder).

If you are a fan of the more traditional American sounding hollow crackle out of the pipes then either flowmaster or spintech mufflers would be your best bet. Throw in a decent sized cam and these things come into their own. I wouldn't touch them on a standard motor. Beware the 10 series flowmaster and 9000 series spintech pro street and super pro street. These mufflers only exist just so you can say you have a muffler. Stupid loud doesn't even begin to describe term. Think of a B&S ute with a twin stormwater drain pipe exhaust but with a nice tone to it and you get the picture.

Then you've got other exhausts like Borla which as the name implies, sounds almost exactly what the name describes.

My advice is to sample as many sound clips and YouTube vids as you can and try to find something you can live with and enjoy. Also remember that in real life it can sound very different that a digital sound clip.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:31 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

If you want Loud go the Genie Tornado. I used a single 3" Tornado on my old XR Falcon with EFI 351w and it was positively deafening.
I've also used Walker Ultraflow stainless 2 1/2" mufflers on a twin system and this was better sounding and not so stupidly loud. I Think you be very happy with these.

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:11 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I will be getting the Hooker aerochambers 2.25 and give them a go.Thanks mycoola

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hooker aerochamber have arrived, but one is dinted inside outlet and looks like they had a rough go at repairing it will repair myself, lucky it wasn't on the muffler body. Looked at exhaust mounts on evil bay wasn't amused at the prices so made my own at work. Conveyor skirting rubber for flex part, made pattern first out of clinkerite gasket material. cut and folded some 3mm aluminium for brackets, we had some s/s hose clamps that are the wide heavy duty style with bolt thru for clamping, will use these to attach to exhaust, 1hr later 12 new clamps and brackets and payed to make them :lol:

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Be sure to upload a clip when you are done.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]