Fordmods Logo

TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon 

Page 71 of 78 [ 1167 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 78  Next

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon
Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Well still doing some work to the ED but seriously considering upgrading the partner's lancer to a BFII XR6T with the T56... Found one for sale locally for the right price and I think I will indeed drag up the money for it...

Can anyone enlighten me on any issues with them? I know BA's had HIM problems but I think the BFII would have had the new improved HIM? And they had mixer shaft issues (breaking them)... Anything else? Any turbo specific problems?

These had the F6 bottom end did they? Trying to find specs on the net for them is hard... It's like any details of what they were has fallen off the face of the earth...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Well still doing some work to the ED but seriously considering upgrading the partner's lancer to a BFII XR6T with the T56... Found one for sale locally for the right price and I think I will indeed drag up the money for it...

Can anyone enlighten me on any issues with them? I know BA's had HIM problems but I think the BFII would have had the new improved HIM? And they had mixer shaft issues (breaking them)... Anything else? Any turbo specific problems?

These had the F6 bottom end did they? Trying to find specs on the net for them is hard... It's like any details of what they were has fallen off the face of the earth...

Cheers,
Tim

07 bf's had the f6 bottom end in them

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EBII, XR6

NSW, Australia

mitchell g wrote:
TimmyA wrote:

Cheers,
Tim

07 bf's had the f6 bottom end in them

Again, its hard finding info on this, but from memory mid 06+ BF's had the typhoon bottom end...

Weekender: 07 BFII XR6T - Conquer
Retired: 1992 EBII SXR6 - Black Pearl

Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Can you turbo experience dudes help me out?

Did I read somewhere the waste gate actuators seize up on turbos and you need to inox something to prevent it?

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

On the note of BF models too...

The one I purchased today has the usual cracked centre diff bush... Anybody running Nolathane ones with good success or are they too hard and flog out sooner?

Just gotta work out how I'm going to integrate good audio into it now... Or whether I lose interest and file it in the too hard basket for now...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Well... Not a lot of comments regarding the B series...

The turbo is a fantastic purchase... Done a small number of things to it so far including LED interior and reverse lights... Purchased a spare ICC to start doing a double din install... Replaced the high pressure power steering line with the aftermarket double flared type (deletes that stupid swivel nut) replace the oil feed turbo line with the flexible unit with the inline filter... Replaced the later model gear stick with the early model stick (so much less rubber and so much more feel)... One day when I have spare money I'll do a HID retrofit same as the ED and purchase said headunit for the ICC... So effortless to drive but and so much torque compared to the SOHC N/A... Worthy replacement for the partners lancer 8-)

The ED has had some love too... Mostly regarding the sound system... The Sub is finally mocked up in the boot on the panel I had bent up...

Pretty much it sorted now... Just need to do the panel behind the tail light which is mostly a cut it off kind of scenario and maybe heat it up and straighten it out... Once it looks complete I'll paint the panel and do the wiring properly... Got a loose connection somewhere which I've got to find as the subwoofer does it's own thing when driving sometimes and it's not the sub itself, or the headunit so that RCA cable between the two must be not quite right somewhere... Something to chase...

Also have focals to go all round... Much to my horror the cast baskets were going nowhere near fitting in the parcel tray and I wasn't cutting the holes out... Even if I did the bolt holes were so far out I couldn't bolt them easily to the tray as it was in the section where it was no longer flat but tapered...

This led to the purchase of some aerpro black 16mm mdf spacers... That sorted the hole size out but still couldn't bolt them down... In griffith a business there has recently purchased a water cutter... So I drew up an adaptor bracket and took my design over to them... They put it into CAD and spat out these templates in 5mm black steel...

And a simpler design for the fronts:

Just drilled the required holes and tapped 4mm threads into them... bolted up through the parcel tray into the adaptor and down through the speaker into the adaptor... Crisis averted...

The adaptor is under the carpet and I cut the underlay out to allow for the adaptor and still sit mostly flat... It is a shame the speakers ended up so high but there isn't much that can "legally" be done about it... Also fitted boom mats under them which much have been too good as the speakers hardly functioned... Poked some holes in them to allow air transfer and that made them sound a heap better... Not sure what the intended purpose of the boom mats is now...

Just got to work out the fronts one day now and incorporate them through the door trim rather than behind the dodgy EL speaker grill... Have an idea... Have all the gear... Just not the time...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Must just about be nobody left on Fordmods anymore? Hardly see any garage action now... Just people having weekend dramas...

Anyway... I'll update mine more for my reference than for anybody else's...

The sub is done and dusted... All painted and mount properly in it's location and the plastic panels made to fit...

All looks pretty good and it has enough bass for me... So much better than when I had the 8" in the parcel shelf... No rattle can be heard inside the car now... Though I'm not overly happy with the sound output on the Pioneer Appradio... Pretty sure it isn't the speakers... Will work on that...

Been spending my arvos working on getting a more intuitive headunit into the BF... Fairly sure I will get this to work... Been fairly involved so far but it's coming together... It's the unit thing... Double DIN headunit replaces the ICC screen which will be shifted to the bottom... The CD player controls have been cut out and wont be used... The Audio system will be turned off... The Parrot hu will be wired into the ICC bridging board so it simply plugs in like the normal ICC making installation and removal easy...

It's a fabbed up facia currently... Just modifying the metal stacker box currently to make it smaller to drop the main circuit board down and lift the BEM up as the original ICC is now shorter to give more space for the screen under it...

The Parrot hu is smaller than all others, but it's still a squeeze... and the top of the original stacker box has been dropped 15mm to clear the bottom of the Parrot here... Only just misses the heatsink...

And to give and overall idea of what the picture is... Still gotta lift the bottom of the steel box to get the BEM up higher... Currently this ICC is about 1-1.5" shorter than original (the lower side tabs in the first photo...)

It's cool but will get it there...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

Hey Tim

Just read your thread over the past few days and am impressed! The ED is lookin' mighty fine!! I have a whole AU Ghia on my front lawn and *might* look at doing some of your changes to my ole ED wagon. Only problem is keeping my SSPS, do not want to lose that :)

Cheers
RD

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:25 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

RD,

Cheers man... Pretty happy with the AU wiring system and donk...

Don't know much about SSPS... Did AU come out with that? I drove an AU wagon once (high series) which may have had it because the wheel was so incredibly light it felt wrong... If that was it, it's something I'd never have... Each to their own I guess...

Bit further with the BF ICC...

Wiring is done and the bog has been sanded down to 320... So will prime it with high fill tomorrow to try and get rid of the few air bubbles I've achieved... Installed it last weekend and it all works great... First go... Just plug it in... All speakers, and sub work, also rear view input works which I used the diagnostic wire from the amp (who cars about diagnostics from the amp)... It is wired into the junction board in the back of the ICC so it plugs into the car just like a std ICC... Some stuff will be an extra still, the antenna like std, the usb cable to the glove box and the mic for the hands free will need to be extra plugs under the ICC...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
RD,

Cheers man... Pretty happy with the AU wiring system and donk...

Don't know much about SSPS... Did AU come out with that? I drove an AU wagon once (high series) which may have had it because the wheel was so incredibly light it felt wrong... If that was it, it's something I'd never have... Each to their own I guess...

SSPS was only in the EL Ghia and LWB Fairlanes (as far as I know). However, my plans have changed, the wagon is now on the retirement list due to that moron in the truck....

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Well...

Parrot Asteroid is wired in... Here is the stacker (or what was)... The top board on the stacker is basically and interface board between the screen, smarts in the top of the stacker, and the big white ICC plug... I removed the original audio amplifier from the top unit... Need to drill some holes for some wires, need to move some components to get others in... But got there in the end... RCA plugs do sub and reverse camera... The reverse camera use the original phone input plug (audio +ve and -ve will not be the two wires from the RCA plug) and the reverse trigger wire is the diagnostic wire that comes from the ford amp in the boot... Who cares about the diagnostics from the amp, plug its right next to a reverse light source... All of it works but... Only two plugs will need to be dropped down under the BEM with the antenna plug, the usb plug for ipod/mp3 player and the microphone plug for the bluetooth...

It's a ripper unit but... Still the only thing I cannot work out is where to mount the sniffer for the climate control...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:45 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Little closer...

The unit for the steering wheel button interface has been wired in and mounted and programmed to suit the BF buttons... There was just enough space under the main circuit board in the stacker box for it which worked well... Out of sight out of mind...

And the top facia is ready for painting... Numerous coats of high fill primer later and 600 wet sand has left something which should look good painted in piano black...

Now to make the bottom facia, and then get it, the top and gear stick surround all painted and it should look the part and be fairly functional...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:29 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Well,

Nearly after 12 months of the AU II install I have finally I remembered that I was going to dyno the car in the cooler months to see what it is capable of... Which happened Friday just gone...

The old curves are the lower ones... Went from 106rwkw to 133rwkw so there is a fair gain and as per the the factory systems usually are it runs rich into the high revs and power only starts to round off at 5200rpm (where the dyno tech ended the test)

Power is power... Torque increase was impressive and this is definitely felt in the car...

This is power and torque again with the new results being the higher curves...

So all round rather happy... About the only thing I can do now is to consider the route of a chip or custom computer and possibly fit the camtech vct cam I have in the shed... Not sure if I want to do down the route of a J3 again after the persistant problems I had in the past...

Busy with the BF audio integration for now...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EBII, XR6

NSW, Australia

The BF audio fascia looks the goods man, I've never liked the idea if I was to ever get a B-series the headunit would be down near the shifter...

Keen to see how it turns out all painted up and installed!

Weekender: 07 BFII XR6T - Conquer
Retired: 1992 EBII SXR6 - Black Pearl

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Cheers man.

I have the bottom generic aerpro bottom facia now... The one with the built in pocket that only fit's autos... So I'll see why it isn't mean to fit and make it work with the manual surround and then fit the factory screen into it... Will be good... May need to turn the circuit board in the back of the LCD horizontal because it may be too tall to work in the space I have... Time will tell...

Cheers,
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 71 of 78  [ 1167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 78  Next