Fordmods Logo

EL2 XR8 6DHE ECU EGR Question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EL2 XR8 6DHE ECU EGR Question
Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Does anybody have an EL2 XR8 (auto) with the 6DHE computer installed from the factory? I'm trying to get to the bottom of the EGR wiring and since the EL2 was a transition model as far as EEC was concerned I don't know exactly what a "factory setup" really was. Here is the background

I bought an engine and loom setup and noticed that the EGR Valve Position Sensor plug on the injector harness is blanked off and the EGR valve mounting location on the EGR spacer is also blocked off (ie there is no EGR solenoid or associated position sensor at all). The EVPS plug blank-off is a factory Ford type plug cover rather than a home-made jobbie. The EGR valve blank-off could be either factory or a very tidy home-made one. The car was a 1998 so the very last of the EL2's and came with the Explorer intake (but with the functional EGR passages and IAT sensor boss in the #5 runner).

What I want to know is whether EGR is the same as AU1 (ie there is no EGR) or the same as earlier E-series V8's (and someone has done a very tidy job in deleting it) for the 6DHE ecu.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone who has an XR8 with this exact same ecu, and they can just take a quick look and a photo under the engine cover.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Post subject: Re: EL2 XR8 6DHE ECU EGR Question
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

Did u work this out...im wondering if 185 had egr as well...

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

I have seen EL2/XH2 V8's with and without EGR. As you can see below, my question when unanswered for 4.5 years, so nobody else was able to help resolve this either.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

Yeah...ive recently seen an 185 with egr but previously seen 2 with it blocked off...i figured that the had it and people removed it, but who really knows....when u see pics of them they most of the time have the cover on so u cant see...

Guessing the only way to know would be via a factory parts catalog...ive got a pdf of one but it only goes upto feb97 so doesnt include the 185...

Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Mine had the EGR (until it was blocked). Unfortunately I dont know the exact build date.

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Falcon EL

WA, Australia

As far as I have been able to tell:

EL (and pre EL) = EGR
AU = NON EGR
(Aus market only)

Since these cars are old now, we can't say for sure whether some had non-EGR setups. Chances are that manifolds/wiring have been changed over in the near 20 years of its life.

I have used a non EGR manifold on my EGR EL. Just bolted up all the EGR stuff onto the blank throttle body (except the coolant circulation) just so the ECU won't give me s**t about it not being there.
Works a treat!

Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Mine is definetly the 185kw engine, with factory manifolds - and therefore fully egr equiped.

I read though that the NL cars with the HP Engines (sportsmans or something) got the AU ones without EGR

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]