Fordmods Logo

EA diff ratio - devastated!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: EA diff ratio - devastated!!
Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:24 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA Falcon

ACT, Australia

Until last night had been thinking that because of the lazy launches from my EA (with tickford motor, extractors, exhaust) that I would have been running a 2.7 or 2.9 diff. I was devastated to look last night and find its a 3.2x:1 ratio.

Any suggestions what might be making it such a slug?
Once you hit 3k it goes like hell.. but runs out of rpm pretty fast (limits of the tickford cam I guess)

Would I notice a worthwhile difference to install a 3.45:1 diff as I had planned?

Post subject: Re: EA diff ratio - devastated!!
Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

I went from a 3.23 to a 3.45 in my manual el and it wasnt a massive difference though you could feel it. Much better taking off and driving in traffic

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:39 pm 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

bry40l wrote:
I went from a 3.23 to a 3.45 in my manual el and it wasnt a massive difference though you could feel it. Much better taking off and driving in traffic

Howd it go on fuel?

Id probably only need to change the crown wheel and pinion, yeah? (without installing a whole new diff)

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

not sure how it went on fuel because it was too long ago and i was a young fella flogging the hell out of it every time i drove it :roll:
you can buy and change crown wheel and pinion but your best bet is changing the diff and housing,if you have facebook jump on the ford buy swap sell pages and someone could be letting go of a 3.45:1 lsd, i see them from time to time ranging from 100-300 disc to disc.
lsd is usually worn out in them by now in most of the cheaper ones.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:11 pm 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

I bought a 4.10:1 LSD borg warner 28 spline diff guts..

anyone want to talk me out of attempting this at home?

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Barnfind-EA wrote:

You need a diff spreader to get it out... You need a full set of shims in every size for the carrier and pinion... You need a new collapsible washer for the pinion (for every time you need to change shims)... You need the special tool to hold the yoke... You need a spring gauge to measure preload for both the pinion and carrier... You need gear blue to check the mesh pattern... You need a s**t load of time to get it right so the gears aren't chopped out in 5000km... You need diff oil with a friction modifier for the LSD... You'll need a torque wrench...

Besides that special stuff you need std tools...

By the time you swap just the centre you'll wish you swapped the whole diff axle to axle...

Also if it is a manual expect to be doing 3000rpm at 100km/hr and have little to no fuel economy compared to current...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:44 pm 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Barnfind-EA wrote:

You need a diff spreader to get it out... You need a full set of shims in every size for the carrier and pinion... You need a new collapsible washer for the pinion (for every time you need to change shims)... You need the special tool to hold the yoke... You need a spring gauge to measure preload for both the pinion and carrier... You need gear blue to check the mesh pattern... You need a s**t load of time to get it right so the gears aren't chopped out in 5000km... You need diff oil with a friction modifier for the LSD... You'll need a torque wrench...

Besides that special stuff you need std tools...

By the time you swap just the centre you'll wish you swapped the whole diff axle to axle...

Also if it is a manual expect to be doing 3000rpm at 100km/hr and have little to no fuel economy compared to current...

Cheers,
Tim

Yep thats talked me out of it :) Its auto.. and Ill just get it done professionally.. sounds like too much fkn about, risk and pain if it goes wrong.

I would have bought a whole diff if 4:10 were available.

Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

I have the same gears in my EF auto. Sits about 2300 rpm at 100km, it does feel like it needs another gear as it used to sit on 1500, but it's fine. Cars definitely friskier and worth the effort of fitting. I get 9.3litre per 100km now, down from 12.5 with the standard 3.08 diff. I don't understand why, maybe less throttle is needed to keep the car moving? But its good

she dream't she was a bulldozer, she dream't she was alone in a field

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:48 am 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

tapeworm wrote:
I have the same gears in my EF auto. Sits about 2300 rpm at 100km, it does feel like it needs another gear as it used to sit on 1500, but it's fine. Cars definitely friskier and worth the effort of fitting. I get 9.3litre per 100km now, down from 12.5 with the standard 3.08 diff. I don't understand why, maybe less throttle is needed to keep the car moving? But its good

Hope I see the same results. Looking forward to it. Any mod that ends up paying for itself in fuel savings is more than worthwhile.

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Being a manual I sit on 2200 at 100 with the 3.45 and my car is most fuel efficient at 2200... I use a touch more at 110 (2300rpm)... But gained fuel economy from the 3.27 it came with...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:59 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Being a manual I sit on 2200 at 100 with the 3.45 and my car is most fuel efficient at 2200... I use a touch more at 110 (2300rpm)... But gained fuel economy from the 3.27 it came with...

Cheers,
Tim

so which do ya prefer Tim??

the 3.45 or the 3.27?????

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Noticed bugger all difference... Probably wouldn't do the upgrade again if I was looking into it... Best part now is the LSD over the open centre... One day when I have a spare 1.5-2k I'll get a tru-trak fitted and pull the LSD out... Keep the 3.45 but as they're good gears and whisper quiet...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:58 am 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
Noticed bugger all difference... Probably wouldn't do the upgrade again if I was looking into it... Best part now is the LSD over the open centre... One day when I have a spare 1.5-2k I'll get a tru-trak fitted and pull the LSD out... Keep the 3.45 but as they're good gears and whisper quiet...

Cheers,
Tim

1.5 to 2k ? That buys you a nice 9" Shake yourself :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]