EL wiring loom into EB 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: EL wiring loom into EB
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Hey, I'm considering swapping all the running gear from my EL Fairmont 5.0 into an EB. now the question I have is, can I use all my engine bay wiring looms, and keep the EB dash? I don't want to fit the EL dash because I don't want to bother doing the handbrake conversion, and I like the EB dash anyway. I know that the engine bay loom plugs into the dash loom so I'm wondering if the EL engine bay loom will plug into the EB dash loom? Or would I need to get EB V8 wiring looms?

Cheers, Gab

Post subject: Re: EL wiring loom into EB
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hello,

I would try and find the part numbers and compare. I dont think it will be an easy swap for a number of reasons. Prior to the EF, the cluster was different from a 6 to an 8. The injector signal was separate with a V8, the 6 shared 1 signal to 2 injectors. V8's may have had a separate Auto computer. These are some issues you may want to check, I am relying on memory here, but hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Regards 96ELGli

Post subject: Re: EL wiring loom into EB
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Gab,

Easiest thing to do man is to get full body looms and drop them in... They will all work straight off... Then feed the EL dash loom into the EB dash and just change a few plugs over so that the new loom plugs into the old cluster, switches, etc...

Look at my build thread... This is what I did when I fitted AU stuff into my car... Full AU looms, and smarts... It has smartshield security and such as well as it all just plugged in and worked... Dash took a little while to change plugs and make mounts up for the AU fuse box and similar...

You'll have most of the mounting points for the EL junction box behind the dash and the correct grommet sizes in the firewall for the looms... You can also run the EF/EL cruise then too and it will all just plug in and function... Just need to either make a hybrid column like I did or modify ED cruise buttons for the EL cruise module...

Plenty of help in here to get you through it anyway...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]