Fordmods Logo

Ba Falcon - How to clean ABS sensor? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Ba Falcon - How to clean ABS sensor?
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:10 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2003 Ford Falcon BA XT

QLD, Australia

Hey Guys, Ive got my ABS sensor light on solid. After starting the car and driving for around 20-30 meters it turns on and doesn't go off.
I have no weird noises that i can hear anyway, only thing I have noticed is sometimes ill be braking at the lights and i am stopped, and the brake randomly gives way and pushes in further (The car doesn't move or anything) and no weird noises when this happens either

I'm thinking ABS sensor or master brake cylinder? But would that make the light go on?

I was just away on a hunting trip so the car without a doubt got filthy and i was a little silly on the gravel so brakes got a work out as well.

I recently changed my rear brake pads and did have an issue with the rear right caliper that the part that slides (Sorry for non technical term) was corroded and wouldn't slide. I managed to free it up and sanded a little of the corrosion off and used some grease and made sure was moving well.

Checked brake fluid - not leaking from anywhere and is at a good level.

So currently my guess is most likely sensor, but i have no idea where they are located.
And yes i tried a search didn't find anything that helped me too much.
Can anyone assist with any pictures? or quick description.
I will try and clean the sensors first with some brake cleaner. and then go from there.

Thanks for any help from anyone!

2003 BA FALCON XT
Pacemaker Extractors 100 Cell Cat
2 1/2 " Cat Back Exhaust
Custom CAI Xcal2 Generic Tune
WANTS
3.73 Diff :D

Post subject: Re: Ba Falcon - How to clean ABS sensor?
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:28 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: ford ef2 xr6

VIC, Australia

You could try cleaning the tone wheels located on inside of both front discs,they may be covered in dust ,mud etc,also try cleaning the abs sensors with a rag...but if light is still on after this,your abs control unit may be faulty.

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Scan tool, Will give you a fault code, the live data will show if any wheel speed sensors are not working. Well worth the few dollars most workshops will charge you.

OR

rely on forum guesswork and just throw parts at it.

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

99% of the time the sensor will be buggered and dosnt matter how much you clean it.
+1 on the scan to point you in the right direction.
Don't wanna be throwing wheel speed sensors at it if the ABS block is f**k.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA Falcon

QLD, Australia

Hey fellas, I have found that most problems I have experienced with my BA have been the result of poor mechanics, not Ford design faults. For example, my brakes failed one day while attempting to stop at a red light. This was not an engineering fault but was due to my mechanic never flushing the old brake fluid out and putting fresh fluid in. The fluid was dark brown and very dirty and I had it changed after this event and the brakes have been great for the last twelve months. Then I had a miss and suspected it was one spark plug. It would miss for about 5 minutes every morning and sometimes when I was at normal operating temperature too. I just put a new set of Bosch Platinum spark plugs in it and it has been running great ever since. I then had a miss again a few months later and had a feeling it may be one of the magnetic coils so I just changed them all as the car had close to 150,000 Kms on it and apparently the coils have a life expectancy of 150,000 Kms. All six coils were under $200 so a very worthwhile job to do all of them. I also happened to drop my diff oil just to make sure it was fresh. I was appalled at the state of the oil that came out. It was black like molasses and had a brown dirty tinge to it too. It had obviously never been changed despite me having regular services. One would think that the mechanic would have changed it at least once in it's lifetime. In my opinion, they are a very well engineered car if they are maintained correctly. Unfortunately when people put them in for a service, a lot of mechanics change the engine oil and check the wiper blades and fail on almost every other point. Hope this helps, take care now

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA Falcon

QLD, Australia

Not sure if I'm correct here but the ABS sensor light could possibly come on when the brake fluid is dirty as the conductivity of the brake fluid increases when it gets old. You can get a conductivity meter to check it or simply change it like I did. Make sure brake fluid is flushed at least every two years or more often if you are doing lots of kilometres. My brakes were very responsive after the flush.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]