XB - XC front fender differences 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: XB - XC front fender differences
Posted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Hi guys,
Looking to get some help on the difference between XB and XC front fenders - I've got an XB but my front fenders are rusty as all hell behind the wheel openings at the back of the fender (low down near the door, you know what I mean..)

Anyway, looks like I might have a chance to get hold of a pair of XC fenders cheap that are rust free - I know that they ARE different at the front, not that fussed cosmetically, but I'm wondering if they are similar enough to still use XB front bumper, indicators and lower valance panel...I don't mind needing to modify them but I want an idea of how different the lower front edge is, and whether there is enough of a cutout for the wrap around of the bumper - if anyone can provide photo's then even better ...any help much appreciated...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Post subject: Re: XB - XC front fender differences
Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:29 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xg van and ute

WA, Australia

from memory it's just the indicators at the front that are different
the xa/xb race cars where all just upgraded cosmeticly to suit the new xc styling
if you can chase up some old amc mags they (or someone else on here)
might be able to point out what's involved

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

yeh the lower edge is different (just been staring at a pik of an XC fender and a pik of my fender )but I reckon I can modify the lower front edge to fit the valance and XB indicators...anyone done this?

Thanks, BTW Alby-73 for your comments - you're right about the race car mods but I don't want to go for the full XC look if I can avoid it, prefer the XB look..

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:50 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: xg van and ute

WA, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
yeh the lower edge is different (just been staring at a pik of an XC fender and a pik of my fender )but I reckon I can modify the lower front edge to fit the valance and XB indicators...anyone done this?

Thanks, BTW Alby-73 for your comments - you're right about the race car mods but I don't want to go for the full XC look if I can avoid it, prefer the XB look..

if you can weld then just "cut and shut" em
where the rusted bits are

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

yeh, thinking the same thing - might actually be easier to modify the front lower edge to mate with the XB valance - like I say, don't really care if they look slightly different (e.g. front indicator repeater and slight difference in the front crease line ), but if they are too different I can always go cut n' shut..

Anyway, the guy won't make his mind up until tomorrow night about whether he wants to part out this car (its an unfinished project) - I'll have to wait and see...

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:16 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford xc xr6ba

QLD, Australia

hi guys i am currently fitting an xc falcon back to xb as my son and i are building a mad max yellow interceptor and there is quite a bit of difference
late model xc guards have an indicator in the guard
the lower surround on the front of the guard is different xc has a full bumper were the xb has a front lower valance panel however if you use an xc cobra rep front spoiler you dont need the valance paneljust mahe some mounting bracket and away you go
the front guard extensions are different xc mounts the indercators in the grill were xb mounts under the front bumper the xc has curved front guard extension were the xb are straight also the xc extension are deeper and dont line up with the bumper when fitted the extension hang over the bar by 20mm you cannot modify them eather (as they are hollow)wich is a pain i suspect the bumper recess in the guard is different as i have had to modify the xb bumper bar mount bracket by 20mm in height to make the bar sit lower to allow the bar to fit into the recess area with out hitting the guard i now have to find xb guards extension to try this as my car is an xc i dont no weather the lines in the body line up and carnt remember as i had both car as a young fella mate after going throught this with my car unless you can do 90% of the work yourself get the rust panels from rare spares and find a good beater if you want to fit the xc guards just contact me and ill send you some picks that will help you
milton005

Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Yeah honestly what are you going to pay for a rust free pair of XC guards, then f**k around vs buying the patches for what $44 I think, then quick cut and shut, also saves hacking up a good XC guard.
Shame your not in Brissy I'd buy you the patches and trade you for the good XC guards for mine. :lol:

Pain in the a** xa-c's being rust buckets :lol:

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:07 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford xc xr6ba

QLD, Australia

correct however remove the inner splash guards and no more rust issues but there is nothin like the sound of 351 4v at 9500rpm on carbs with rhe old super fuel

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

OZBMX wrote:
Yeah honestly what are you going to pay for a rust free pair of XC guards, then f**k around vs buying the patches for what $44 I think, then quick cut and shut, also saves hacking up a good XC guard.
Shame your not in Brissy I'd buy you the patches and trade you for the good XC guards for mine. :lol:

Pain in the a** xa-c's being rust buckets :lol:

agreed, I was only going to use XC guards if I could get a particular pair I was looking at (rust free, 100 the pair) but that was too good to be true and fell through. Soo, still on the lookout for decent XB guards ...or repair mine.

Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

alby-73 wrote:
from memory it's just the indicators at the front that are different
the xa/xb race cars where all just upgraded cosmeticly to suit the new xc styling
if you can chase up some old amc mags they (or someone else on here)
might be able to point out what's involved

The XB GT hardtop that Moffat raced in 1976, was the exact same car he raced in 1979....just updated the paint job and stuff like that.... Moffat said so on that Shannons show on TV.....he said it wasn't like today where they use a new body shell every season.
He also said the Ford V8's were using completely stock internals....and the Holdens weren't... :shock:

http://youtu.be/tJNZhsKvyU4

http://youtu.be/MT98fUQW42g

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]