Fordmods Logo

XE ESP Turbo ute 

Page 6 of 6 [ 81 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post subject: Re: XE ESP Turbo ute
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XE UTE

VIC, Australia

So today I found out lock doesn't actually go where I have it in the above pics, it goes directly opposite to that location, right against the shock tower, so I have put it back where it was originally mounted and hopefully there is enough room to the shock tower for a fitting on the converter.

Here is a pic of how much room there is for a fitting, not looking great but i'll let the LPG gurus have a crack at it

And the converter water hoses and fittings are all connected and ready to go

That's as far as I will go with the LPG stuff, the rest I'll leave to the pros.

I also got some XE ignition leads, here is a comparison pic of the XE and AU lead

The good news is I managed to fit all the leads on the dizzy, the bad news is it's a little messy and needs to be organised a little better, I need a slightly longer lead for no 1 and I damaged the lead to no 5 (above pic with leccy tape on it).

I ordered a new dizzy cap and rotor button that way everything is new and fresh, and I'll change the damaged and short leads and do it all again, will prob take me about an hour to change cap, button and leads when normally it's a five minute job, but hey it all fits, that's all that matters.

Here's some pics, some fine clearances

Once that's done car will be ready to get taken away.

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

So the new dizzy cap and button haven't arrived on time before the ute gets taken away so I'll have to put them on later when the car is back from the shop and is (hopefully) running.

Today I changed over the short and damaged leads and organised all the leads properly so there is no kinks and not rubbing on anything, looks good, very happy with it

I also did a few bits and pieces to get it ready for pick up tomorrow, I installed the headlights, put a battery in it, checked all electrics work, auto windows, alarm/immobilser, central locking, all lights in and out, stereo, and most importantly she cranks and after spraying some start ya bastard in the carby she starts momentarily and sounds AWESOME doing it, no exhaust, straight out of extractors, but still it sounds great even just cranking, sounds distinctly like a tough AU motor LOVE IT. Hopefully all the tuning is straight forward and there are no issues because I'm hanging to drive this thing. So here is what she looks like now, need to decide how I'm gonna run the intake and air filter etc. Sorry, pics didn't come out too great.

Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

So the Ute is DONE, it starts, runs, idles beautifully and sounds AWESOME.

Lakeside automotive did a great job, here is what was done:

New gas supply line from tank to new converter,
complete re wiring of entire gas system,
lockoff placed under the car
Gas tank gauge removed and LPG levels now work off the XE cluster fuel gauge
Brake fluid flushed
Clutch adjusted as for the life of me I could not get the pedal to sit at a decent height, was way too high, this alone took 1 hour to adjust and I believe it.
Filled with coolant and bled system
Dizzy had to be taken out of slot and turned which meant all leads had to be taken off and put back on, this took 2.5 hours which is about correct considering it took me 1 hour just to put leads on.
Sports exhaust out of XR6 VCT sedan fitted to extractors up to the diff, car will have exhaust done next, then go back to Lakeside for Dyno tune.

So car now just needs the exhaust and the induction sorted out and the engine bay will be all done. Here are some pics.

I'll pick it up Thursday next week, then next will be exhaust.

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Exhaust system is now fitted to the ute, it's quietened down a little but it still hums nicely, it is really smooth to drive and idles and accelerates very well, did not want to push it too much as it's pinging badly and in desperate need of a tune . Here are a couple of pics

And here is a really rough video of the car running

Not sure why the oil pressure gauge is not happy but I'll get that sorted when the car goes back to get tuned.

So now that car is running I did a few little things like serviced the engine, fixed a couple of small coolant and power steering leaks (things just needed to be tightened), interior door handle broke because the plastic pivot thing snapped so i replaced that also. There was an annoying hiss from behind the glove box when car is running, turned out i had the vacuum hoses to the manifold and heater tap the wrong way around so that was fixed. I also gave it a bath for the first time in years, didn't look any different after it haha.

Car gets dropped off to the workshop tomorrow to get a dyno tune and have the rpm switch adjusted so we can get some VCT happening, after that I will need to figure out the air induction system and see which way it will go.

Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Picked up the ute today after being tuned. Apparently is was running way too lean, drives even better now has plenty of power through the whole rev range but especially between 2k and 4.5k rpm and is very responsive, surprised a few C**k drivers on the way home haha I would say it would give my AU3 XR8 ute a good run.

There are still a couple of issues however, the auto sparky seems to have wired up the thermo fans in reverse so they blow out instead of in. In todays hot weather it was overheating and i barely got it home, it also has a slight coolant leak from somewhere around the thermostat housing which i need to figure out. The oil pressure gauge is still not reading properly so might need to be replaced by a new unit.

So tomorrow I'll call the auto sparky because it will be going back there next.

I must say that overall I'm quite stoked with how it runs and goes so far.

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:31 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Would love to see an update on this thread!

Just digging through your thread and as soon as I saw your first pic of the dizzy I figured you were going to run into issues. Been there done that way back in 2003 - similar to yours but EF motor, Gas Research and T5.

If you have experienced the odd backfire - because the leads will short to the manifold - I've got a solution for you. Requires a bit of parts hunting but this is how I ended up doing the dizzy in my conversion;

OK - Run a distributor from an EA Centre Point Injection motor. You need to find a late 87 carby XF and pull the "EST" computer and loom and the black connector plug from the XF dizzy. Wire it (very basic to do). You can leave the so-called "tps" disconnected. Just needs power, earth, water temp from memory.

The CPI dizzy is much shorter but importantly it doesn't have a short tooth like the MPFI dizzys. It easily fits under the BBM and you can actually get the cap/leads off without having to undo the entire manifold.

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 6  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6