Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: My EF/EL cluster install into 91 EB S Pack
Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 91 EB S Pack

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share my EF/EL dash install into my 1991 EB S Pack (non smartlock).
Nothing new or innovative but i reckon it came up really nice with somewhat of a factory look.

Wiring:
You can source the pinout of both the EA/EB/ED cluster and EF/EL from the tech documents but jerrytorry has created a spreadsheet with corresponding pinout info for both clusters.
His post can be found here (fordmods-technical-documents-diy-f38/converting-your-ea-ed-cluster-to-ef-el-t94734.html)

One thing that might be helpful to note is that both plugs (at least in reference to the tech docos and jerrytorrys' spreadsheet) follow a clockwise pinout. This got me into a bit of a pickle the first time as i was assuming they followed a top row/bottom row left to right pinout.
eg:
Clockwise pinout (16 pin)
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
16|15|14|13|12|11|10| 9

top/bottom row left to right pinout (16pin)
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
9 |10|11|12|13|14|15|16

So i started off by unsoldering an EB cluster plug from the back of the PCB board as i had seen others opt to do in their posts (notably BenJ, his work is awesomely insane).
This left me with a bare plug to solder my EF/EL loom to with the potential of looking rather neat and tidy, albeit a bit fiddly.
I was making good progress (after resoldering a few wires when I realized the clockwise pinout), relatively neat joins and a bit of heatshrink over the ends when this happened.
It was past 12am, I had been going cross-eyed after squinting at pins for over 2hrs and the alternator fail light pin had broken off, I was devastated so i went to bed.

The next morning i choofed off to my parents where my E-series wrecks are and grabbed another EB cluster, this time i remove the PCB board from the cluster and hacked it up with an angle grinder leaving the plug soldered to a small section of board.
This was much easier to work with but made the whole adapter heaps chunkier.
As I'm planning to replace my entire dash loom with that out of an XH ute it didn't really matter to me the size, as long as it worked.
An added bonus with using a section of PCB is it can take a much harder beating without failure compared to the bare plug. (this could be solved with, say, filling the back side of the plug with glue from a hot glue gun and letting it set to reinforce the pins making it a lot more ridged)
An hour or so later and I had the adapter loom completed and working (minus the tacho and engine temp)

Fitting the Cluster:
There would probably be a million ways to fit the cluster from making your own bracket to adapt old mount points to the new mount points, to sitting the cluster in its spot and packing the edges with expand-a-foam (dont do this).
What I did was take the front clear section off an EB cluster and fit it to the gauge/dial section of the EL cluster.
There are two mounting points on the top side of both clusters which will line up nicely with each other, simply cut the plastic mounting barrels (for lack of a better word) of the EB cluster flush.
Mark and drill a hole for the odometer reset button
Trim out the inside of the EB clear front with whatever you desire (a dremel/die grinder works well) and use some of the shortest screws from the EB cluster to screw the front clear plastic to the EL cluster assembly through the four locking tabs at the bottom.
Paint the white inner edges of the EL cluster black so you don't have obnoxious white bleed through while looking at the cluster head on.
And there you have it, an EF/EL cluster fitted to the clear front of an EA/EB/ED cluster, retaining your factory mounts.

Pics:

I've never liked Trees since, not one.
~ Vanessa Ives

Post subject: Re: My EF/EL cluster install into 91 EB S Pack
Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 91 EB S Pack

VIC, Australia

Is the text cut off at the edge of the page for anyone else or just me?

I never know how to avoid this apart from putting line breaks mid sentence.

nevermind, just firefox formatting it wrong.

I've never liked Trees since, not one.
~ Vanessa Ives

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]