Fordmods Logo

XE or XF crossflow???? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: XE or XF crossflow????
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

OK guys needing an opinion or two....I have an XA sedan with a stock, slightly tired 250 pre-xflow running through a 3 speed on the tree all synchro box so I'm looking to change out the engine. This is just the family hackster so not looking for a hottie, just a nice reliable car.

OK, so I've put an ad out there looking for a crossflow to throw in there and I've got two possibilities...

no. 1 is an XE ute a guys wrecking, has a good running 250 carby motor and an auto, wants $150 and will chuck in the auto for free ( tho I'd probably just use the existing 3 on the tree if I was to go this way...)

no.2 is an XF wagon, EFI 250 with 4 speed - whole car is $500. OK, this is going to be a little more powerful and has a 4 speed but where option 1 would be pretty straightforward, I'm a bit worried that option 2 is going to involve a lot more work - wiring mainly, installing the computer, fuel system upgrades such as return line, tank maybe? (unlikely that the tank will just drop into the XA so again, more hassles)

So, remembering that I'm not really looking at a hottie, just a reliable family car, which way do you reckon you'd go? Is the little bit more power of the XF worth the extra work and hassle?

Opinions would be gratefully appreciated...

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Post subject: Re: XE or XF crossflow????
Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
OK guys needing an opinion or two....I have an XA sedan with a stock, slightly tired 250 pre-xflow running through a 3 speed on the tree all synchro box so I'm looking to change out the engine. This is just the family hackster so not looking for a hottie, just a nice reliable car.

OK, so I've put an ad out there looking for a crossflow to throw in there and I've got two possibilities...

no. 1 is an XE ute a guys wrecking, has a good running 250 carby motor and an auto, wants $150 and will chuck in the auto for free ( tho I'd probably just use the existing 3 on the tree if I was to go this way...)

no.2 is an XF wagon, EFI 250 with 4 speed - whole car is $500. OK, this is going to be a little more powerful and has a 4 speed but where option 1 would be pretty straightforward, I'm a bit worried that option 2 is going to involve a lot more work - wiring mainly, installing the computer, fuel system upgrades such as return line, tank maybe? (unlikely that the tank will just drop into the XA so again, more hassles)

So, remembering that I'm not really looking at a hottie, just a reliable family car, which way do you reckon you'd go? Is the little bit more power of the XF worth the extra work and hassle?

OK....couple things....the XA has an accelerater linkage, not cable ( unless it's already modded to cable).....so an Xflow engine will be harder to set up....the carby is on the opposite side to the Log engine.
Next is the XE engine has a rag rear main seal, and the XF has a one piece rear seal.
You can easily convert the EFI engine to carby.
You could use all XD (alloy head, NOT iron head) intake, dizzy ( swap over dizzy gear) and carby on the XF EFI engine.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

cjh wrote:
tearlejc wrote:

OK....couple things....the XA has an accelerater linkage, not cable ( unless it's already modded to cable).....so an Xflow engine will be harder to set up....the carby is on the opposite side to the Log engine.
Next is the XE engine has a rag rear main seal, and the XF has a one piece rear seal.
You can easily convert the EFI engine to carby.
You could use all XD (alloy head, NOT iron head) intake, dizzy ( swap over dizzy gear) and carby on the XF EFI engine.

Cheers, thanks for the reply - you're saying about converting the XF engine to carby - would I not be better simply going with the XE since its already carby? Or is what you are saying about the rear seal a big enough consideration that I should avoid the XE motor?

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Buy them both, strip all the EFI off the XF and fit all the carby bits to the XF engine. Use the accel pedal and cable from the XE to convert the XA to cable throttle.

Use the 4 speed from the XF.

Bundle all the leftover x-flow stuff together and flick it on Ebay and recoup some cash.

Enjoy. 8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

sooty72 wrote:
Buy them both, strip all the EFI off the XF and fit all the carby bits to the XF engine. Use the accel pedal and cable from the XE to convert the XA to cable throttle.

Use the 4 speed from the XF.

Bundle all the leftover x-flow stuff together and flick it on Ebay and recoup some cash.

Enjoy. 8-)

yeh, good idea - I'm just a bit intrigued why everyone wants to stay right away from the XE motor though - is the rear seal situation that bad?

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

The XE should have a rope rear seal, where as the XF should have the one piece rear seal. They both work fine, but when they do need replacing, the XF one is piss easy, the rope seal means you need to drop the crank out - big job. 8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

sooty72 wrote:
The XE should have a rope rear seal, where as the XF should have the one piece rear seal. They both work fine, but when they do need replacing, the XF one is piss easy, the rope seal means you need to drop the crank out - big job. 8-)

cheers, thanks for that - yeh did a bit of researching last night on the topic and found a bunch of horror stories of people replacing XE ones and having them leak 300 kays later...

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
sooty72 wrote:

cheers, thanks for that - yeh did a bit of researching last night on the topic and found a bunch of horror stories of people replacing XE ones and having them leak 300 kays later...

Having a rope seal in 300K's ..........must have been done by a rank amateur.... :shock:

Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Just a word of warning if you use the XF's long motor and change it over to carby you will have to run an electric fuel pump as the EFI camshaft doesn't have the mechanical pump lobe on it.

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Just a thought, I think the XE EFI engines had a full oil seal....they were a different size to the XF ones....IIRC.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]