Fordmods Logo

Project EA ( Barra DOHC Conversion ) 

Page 9 of 17 [ 248 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Post subject: Re: Project EA ( DOHC Conversion )
Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NL FAIRLANE BA TURBO POWERED

VIC, Australia

I tried your approach cutting the two hoses and having them joined but enzed wouuld not guarantee job. So they put el end on a ball swivel attatched to ba hose works perfectly cost me $100.oo. Keep up the good work.

Steve

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:17 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1988 5spd DOHC EA Falcon S

NSW, Australia

Up for grabs is an entire BA front suspension setup $200

The entire front suspension setup has been dropped from the conversion donor vehicle. The BA has done 144000 kms, bushes etc seem pretty average, no cracks or damage AFAIK. I was considering throwing it into the EA, however I honestly can't be bothered, I'd rather keep it stock in that sense.

If anyone wishes to pick up this ENTIRE BA front suspension setup, pickup will be in Canberra for $200, if you require freight, PM me. It's for sale on a local Facebook buy and sell page so if it sells beforehand I'll remove this post.

Cheers.

Rolling around with a Barra 182 - equipped 1988 EA falcon

http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ ... 27639.html

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Wish I had of seen this earlier today. Was down your way, but am back in Sydney now.
Good luck with the sale, and keep up the good work.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:29 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Anti - corrosion

The point of painting, is to eliminate the chances of these items rusting over time. Things such as where I've made a cut, or exposed bare metal. Most things were sanded down except the heater pipe brackets, they were starting to corrode and required wire wheel.

When it comes to painting, I know very little of the processes involved in doing so. This is something I'll have to learn over time. But this is what I have done,

Once sanded, I hung them up and applied two coats of etch primer ( 1 min cooldown )

After priming everything I then proceeded to use my air compressor spray gun, which is a Suction type, terrible overspray, too much air not enough paint so it got rather aggravating. A spray can would have done the same job, if not better. Maybe the gun just needs a clean out I'm honestly unsure. If i were to go out and buy one, I'd pick up a decent gravity fed gun.

The paint was thinned out around 20%, paint didn't take all that long to become touch dry. I'm not too happy with the PCM bracket, one corner there didn't get enough paint, just more air than anything.

The point is, these items should be protected from moisture now.

The weather looks pretty terrible for a few days, so until then the K - frame remains unpainted. Bushes and hose kit should arrive around the 30th.

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:47 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Farewell BA

A big thanks to my brother John for accepting stay for the BA. Three months of parts slowly being sold to fund the conversion ( around $1500+ ) It has served me well in terms of useful items. Especially the good quality wiring connectors that would've cost me a lot of coins, connectors of such quality aren't exactly cheap.

Here's a pic of how the BA looks without its blanket.

Yes, the windows are smashed... John got a little hammer happy... :roll:

One of the BA on the trailer, to be sold as scrap.

Also thought I'd take a snap of the EA while it was gloomy outside.

The BA entire front suspension setup is still available.

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EF-XR6/XG-6/XE-V8- project

Hey Bayden, got her running, bloody sounds awsome too :D ,just fixing up a couple of leaks and have to fix up the starter through the ignition (using the old screwdriver tecnique),all your help along the way has been incredible and have to thank you my friend, I could put up a vid if you want and if I can work out how, cheers, Johnny.

XG DOHC-BARRA 182/Turbo kit/20% Underdrive and BA 4-SPEED + Tiptronic shifter

https://youtube.com/channel/UCaRUQ10of3FlOuSpvfapOtA

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hey Bayden, got her running, bloody sounds awsome too :D ,just fixing up a couple of leaks and have to fix up the starter through the ignition (using the old screwdriver tecnique),all your help along the way has been incredible and have to thank you my friend, I could put up a vid if you want and if I can work out how, cheers, Johnny.

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:45 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:

Congrats Johnny!

I Think we'd all love to see a vid! Not many videos of the barra conversions. Report back with some fuel economy / drive-ability data after a couple of weeks, should be interesting.

Hopefully not long until mine goes in, I've had some trouble sourcing an EA - ED power steering hose. Queanbeyan wreckers want $45 which is absurd for a 20 - 30 year old part. I have access to an XR8 EB however, I'm unsure if the high pressure hose bolts into the rack the same way as a 6 cyl...

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:55 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

K - Frame painted

After butchering and welding up the K - frame, the smartest thing to do is give it a quick paint to prevent any future rust. So I did, with some Septone Satin black and a terrible siphon feed spray gun. The frame was painted whilst hanging from a gantry.

The frame was cleaned with a wire wheel drill attachment, then with some methylated spirits i rubbed it down to remove most of the grease. After cleaning it i then gave it a quick sand to give it a rough texture. Blew off all of the sand particles and then gave it 4 coats of primer / 3 coats of satin black.

The result is somewhat alright, paint might not last as long as I'd like, however it will do for the meantime.

As we can see, I was not stingy with the paint by any means... :roll:

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hey Bayden,heres that video http://youtu.be/fdJL57xapAQ
This was its first run-then i relized the coil holes (most of them) were full of water-fixed that up and runs even nicer now,cheers, Johnny.

Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:55 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:
Hey Bayden,heres that video http://youtu.be/fdJL57xapAQ
This was its first run-then i relized the coil holes (most of them) were full of water-fixed that up and runs even nicer now,cheers, Johnny.

Good stuff Johnny!

Now it's time to make a nice pretty loom. :lol:

For the first test drive of the EA, I hope to have my POV camera ready... I own a contour GPS, which is rather old now, but still provides HD POV footage.

Speaking of the EA, she's currently off the road for now, the high pressure power steering line is borked, the crimping at the pump end has gone wrong and it's leaking fluid rather rapidly. Looks like I'll have to vouch for the overpriced hose. The original may as well be used to mate up to the BA line, after some thorough cleaning of course ^^

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hi mate,thought I'd let you know the fuses for injectors and coils are actually 15 amp fuses each (5 amp each would keep blowing I amagine), the Haynes manuals are pretty thorough and very easy to read-even has a complete list of all the DTC'S aswell,let me know if you need them (if you haven't already got them),haven't got the pedal bracket for the throttle yet-not sure if yours or benj's bracket design will work in the XG, but am working on that, just changing clusters from the standard to the sports cluster-so I have a better idea of how engines doing.
And yes I definitely need to get my harness wrapped and safe-just wanted to make sure everything was correct first, hows the EA doing,nice and neat that one, cheers, Johnny.

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:28 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:
Hi mate,thought I'd let you know the fuses for injectors and coils are actually 15 amp fuses each (5 amp each would keep blowing I amagine), the Haynes manuals are pretty thorough and very easy to read-even has a complete list of all the DTC'S aswell,let me know if you need them (if you haven't already got them),haven't got the pedal bracket for the throttle yet-not sure if yours or benj's bracket design will work in the XG, but am working on that, just changing clusters from the standard to the sports cluster-so I have a better idea of how engines doing.
And yes I definitely need to get my harness wrapped and safe-just wanted to make sure everything was correct first, hows the EA doing,nice and neat that one, cheers, Johnny.

The 5 Amp fuses were just temporary, had plenty of spare ones, I'll be putting in different fuses once it's ready to throw in the car.

Iirc VCM scanner has a built in list of all the available DTC's.

In regards to the throttle pedal, correct me if I'm wrong but the design should be somewhat similar? Best way to find out is rip it out ( Take a pic for us if you're able to do so ) I pretty much winged my design, inspiration taken from BenJ of-course.

The EA has been fixed after i obtained the power steering hose for $40. The condition seems rather generic... typical falcon leaking all over everything. The old power steering hose will be chopped and mated to the BA line, hopefully tomorrow.

The Nolathane bushes and hose kit have arrived. The hose kit contains every hose needed along with the hose clamps, not bad for $103 including shipping. The bush kit is a multiple piece design, comes with the required grease thankfully.

I'm also interested in what people have done in regards to spacing the cat converter.

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Here's a pic of my cat-ute already had full exhaust and pacemakers, this CAT is a 200 cpi hi flow cat so I cut it and a piece 2.5" pipe sleeves inside perfectly-bolt it up and tac it-remove and weld up fully, cheers, Johnny.
p.s, used old gaskets in between so that it fits without having to wedge it in.
Also the lower radiator hose, BA takes the thinner tip hose where as the EA/EB takes a fat a** hose on the Radiator side :?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Hi Bayden,how's the EA coming along,am just trying to work out the purge solenoid/canister and am thinking the best way to do it would be to use the BA solenoid with the XG canister,do you know if we're able to turn the purge solenoid off completely and block everything off (just temporary), have to do same thing with A/C till I get back and sort it all out-hoses made up etc, cheers, Johnny.

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 17  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next